Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, Diego said:

Amazing reading that people think things will change. Warne isn’t the right fit for Derby, glaringly obvious.

He’s a small club mentality manager and Max Bird and co returning from injury won’t change anything. As long as your his buddy and can have bantz yadda yadda yadda - it’s just rubbish man management.

This squad should be playing a lot better. Reminds me of the last days of Nigel Clough and then in came SMc and just took the same players to another level.

If we don’t get 6 points from our next two very winnable games, then realistic questions need to be asked.

Lee Carsley would be a great fit IMO.

Excellent suggestion. I’m just not sure we can afford Warne’s pay off.

We are going to struggle in midfield this season because we don’t have players who demand the ball or who take a risk. They all hide and play it simple. None of them are quick or energetic. Other teams will outwork us in the middle and that will be problematic. 

We have reasonably good defenders but as yet don’t have a unit that seems to understand each other’s game. Also, because the midfield aren’t demanding it, the defence tries to play long passes and they can’t do it.

We also have players with very little technical ability. The subs yesterday at least improved that aspect. Sibley, Wilson and Barkhuisen may not be consistent but at least they can play with the ball at their feet. 

Elder, Cashin and Nelson are very limited footballers. I’m not wowed by Washington and Embleton (very early I know) didn’t show any strong traits.

Despite all of those negative comments, a stronger, more focussed leader could transform the way we play. The team need to be given permission to try first time passing even if it means the odd c***-up.

Bird, Thompson and Fornah is probably our best midfield. Waghorn will try his best and keep everyone up to it (excellent captain I reckon), and we should have enough from the flanks to get service to the strikers.

There’s a good team in there. We have to keep the faith and the belief.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Excellent suggestion. I’m just not sure we can afford Warne’s pay off.

We are going to struggle in midfield this season because we don’t have players who demand the ball or who take a risk. They all hide and play it simple. None of them are quick or energetic. Other teams will outwork us in the middle and that will be problematic. 

We have reasonably good defenders but as yet don’t have a unit that seems to understand each other’s game. Also, because the midfield aren’t demanding it, the defence tries to play long passes and they can’t do it.

We also have players with very little technical ability. The subs yesterday at least improved that aspect. Sibley, Wilson and Barkhuisen may not be consistent but at least they can play with the ball at their feet. 

Elder, Cashin and Nelson are very limited footballers. I’m not wowed by Washington and Embleton (very early I know) didn’t show any strong traits.

Despite all of those negative comments, a stronger, more focussed leader could transform the way we play. The team need to be given permission to try first time passing even if it means the odd c***-up.

Bird, Thompson and Fornah is probably our best midfield. Waghorn will try his best and keep everyone up to it (excellent captain I reckon), and we should have enough from the flanks to get service to the strikers.

There’s a good team in there. We have to keep the faith and the belief.

Regards the pay off I know compensation for Warne didn’t go against our business plan. But whether it goes against FFP is another question. 

Id be worried if DC can’t afford it. Get on the phone to some Arabs if that’s the case.

Injuries aside, I just can’t see what we’re trying to do in terms of formation or strategy. We looked like busy fools. An energetic, yet tired away side, not a confident home side. Waghorn with some good service is good enough in this league to score a hatful of goals and his tenacity and engine are a real bonus.

Nelson played well and I actually thought Korey Smith had one of his better games, but along with everyone else just couldn’t string a set of passes together. 

After a 2 week break and apparently a fitness mad manager at the helm we shouldn’t be that leggy in September 

NML needs benching. He needs rest and become a threat/surprise again. He was found out half way through last season and he’s not been effective for ages. He can still do a job, but needs a refresh.

I’m not ‘warne out’. I’d give him until Chrimbo - but there has to be some sense of a plan. Maybe a bit glib but I didn’t think Pompey were all that good considering they’re one of the top clubs of the league. Even at our most bang average we still had enough to neutralize them, so a solid back four and a consistent attacking formation can get us a possible 2 pts a game with the players we’ve got in a seemingly poor league. But that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I tried to watch the game yesterday but could only really dip in and out via RamsTV. 

The game, from what I saw, went as expected against Portsmouth, one of the better League One sides, it showed that there is a criminal lack of quality at this level. The football from both sides was laughable at times, with the odd moment of quality play thrown in.

I honestly think the standard that the club is playing at has never been weaker in almost 140 years and it’s so depressing that we aren’t able to rise above it. I do think we will make the top six, because of how disgusting the standard is, but the club isn’t heading in the right direction in any stretch of the imagination. If I’m Clowes, I would strongly consider the long-term of having Warne in charge and Thomas heading recruitment. Our budget means that anyone with half a brain cell could have us compete at this level, but when we don’t have the biggest wage bill in the league what does he believe the outcome will be? It’s not a ‘Warne out’ post overreaction but definitely food for thought because the processes currently employed by the club at all levels, in my opinion, doesn’t have the potential to have the success that Clowes wants (& needs) after his initial investment. 

Playing seven teams with dog and duck type budgets in our next nine games is probably going to mask some of our shortcomings (hopefully it does) but Clowes needs to consider the future of the club past a League One promotion - all things considered 90% of us on this forum could achieve that with the disparity of finances in the league! 

10 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Regards the pay off I know compensation for Warne didn’t go against our business plan. But whether it goes against FFP is another question. 

Id be worried if DC can’t afford it. Get on the phone to some Arabs if that’s the case.

FFP isn’t applied in this league, we are also run very sustainably so ironically the money pocketed/saved from Bielik & Knight will probably go to paying him off. 

Either way, we aren’t talking about paying a Cocu or Rooney off who were on multiple millions a year. Warne and Co will be the highest paid back room staff in the league, but (as mentioned) it’s a tinpot league so not sure what their wages will effectively come to, probably £1.5-2m over the course of their contracts. You could even put them on gardening leave, continue to pay them, until another club come in for them so you don’t pay them up. 

11 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

The best in the business bar none 

does help mind if u have an infinite cheque book though doesnt it

u think even he could have turned us around from where we were just over a year or so ago and with james collins as his “talisman” 

A cheque is fine...but...you need intelligent players, A system that suits the players, Understanding what a player can do or can not do, A good coaching team behind you.

Is it right that PW once we went 1-0 up he moved to a 5 backline? if so he looks to have surrendered space, If so he gave Pompey a get out of jail free card altho our attempts at clearing the ball was stuff of nightmares.

11 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A cheque is fine...but...you need intelligent players, A system that suits the players, Understanding what a player can do or can not do, A good coaching team behind you.

Is it right that PW once we went 1-0 up he moved to a 5 backline? if so he looks to have surrendered space, If so he gave Pompey a get out of jail free card altho our attempts at clearing the ball was stuff of nightmares.

What drives me nuts is that when we are defending a corner or even a long throw, we pull everybody back.

We need to leave a quick player who’s not so good in the air on the half way line.

That automatically means two opposing defenders having to stay back and a less crowded area to give Wildsmith and his defenders more space to attack the ball. At times we are in each other’s way and the clearance is muffed.

The crazy thing about yesterday was that Barkhuisen had an excellent chance to make it 2-1 at the end.

These posts would have described heroes 😊

10 hours ago, Sparkle said:

These are a lot worse, the eleven point side were actually turning up against decent teams 

Spurs away...4-0

Liverpool away 6-0

Arsenal away 5-0

WHU home 5-0

Man U away 4-1

Spurs home 3-0

Chelsea away 6-1

Villa home 6-0

Arsenal home 6-2

Reading home 4-0

They may have turned up, But they forgot to put their kit on...ps the above were all losses 😉

I really don't get this wrist slashing. Yes it was a dour affair and atm we look like a mid table outfit. But hasn't 17 managers since 2007 shown you anything. Hire and fire doesn't work does it. We are still shopping in Poundland for players and that's where we're at. Sacking the current management team won't name the slightest bit of difference....

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

What drives me nuts is that when we are defending a corner or even a long throw, we pull everybody back.

We need to leave a quick player who’s not so good in the air on the half way line.

That automatically means two opposing defenders having to stay back and a less crowded area to give Wildsmith and his defenders more space to attack the ball. At times we are in each other’s way and the clearance is muffed.

The crazy thing about yesterday was that Barkhuisen had an excellent chance to make it 2-1 at the end.

Warne was asked why he doesn’t leave someone on halfway at defensive corners. He said something along the lines of “show me how often a team scores from that”… meaning the team leaving the player on half way. He didn’t have your defensive take on it at all

10 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Just arrived home after quite a few pub stops but another home game where we looked like the away team, seriously can’t see what direction Warne is heading us?  The players available to us r a lot better than what we’re watching at the minute, I’m normally glass half full but now I’m starting to get worried 😟 

Dogs Reaction GIF

image.png.9d9d3318e4b92fca5e5c6e695b5927e1.png

37 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Intelligent players come via a chequebook 

but yes agree with what u say 

32 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Salted or Roasted 😁

I'm full steam ahead with ya Anag, But who are we to disagree with a pro football manager 😊

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Intelligent players come via a chequebook 

but yes agree with what u say 

We need to purchase against a plan, a plan that gives us a team not 11 decent players who are unable to achieve the plan and cannot play together. I’m not a fan of cheque book football as it was nearly our downfall,  I am fairly tolerant  time wise but if we do have a plan in place I am unable to understand what it is.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Amazing reading that people think things will change. Warne isn’t the right fit for Derby, glaringly obvious.

He’s a small club mentality manager and Max Bird and co returning from injury won’t change anything. As long as your his buddy and can have bantz yadda yadda yadda - it’s just rubbish man management.

This squad should be playing a lot better. Reminds me of the last days of Nigel Clough and then in came SMc and just took the same players to another level.

If we don’t get 6 points from our next two very winnable games, then questions need to be asked big time.

Lee Carsley would be a great fit IMO.

This is nothing like the last days of Clough. You could see what the players were capable of before Mac came in as Clough had battered teams with them. He was just ‘avoid relegation first, push upwards second’ which meant he was afraid to take his foot off the brake. Then Mac came in and took the foot off the break fully. 

This situation isn’t the same. Someone new is going to have to reintroduce the midfielders to the rest of the side and work on a plan not just ‘unleash them’ like Mac did. 

28 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Warne was asked why he doesn’t leave someone on halfway at defensive corners. He said something along the lines of “show me how often a team scores from that”… meaning the team leaving the player on half way. He didn’t have your defensive take on it at all

Leicester v Southampton this Friday night just gone. You can have that one for free Warney.