Corey Blackett-Taylor - Signed on Loan/Permanent in Summer

Stuniverse

19 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Fozzy, Cashin, Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Waghorn, Bradley and Elder.

Is was referring to forwards. Waghorn obviously good shout, when available.

I am thinking back to when we had Ince on the RH Wing cutting in and scoring a lot of goals.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would put it closer to £12m than £10m. Our playing staff wages will be one of the highest in the division, but I reckon our non-playing staff wages are THE highest. Charlton, Portsmouth and Bolton in the same wage bracket, Oxford just behind.

£12m was what first came to mind, considering Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland, etc all operated down here with a £16m (rough) wage bill. We probably don't have some of the high earners they did, but our squad is fairly deep this year - deeper than any other side in the league anyway. 

Interestingly, however, the word from the Charlton end is that he isn’t much one for fulfilling his defensive duties so that wouldn’t (at the moment -unless he can be persuaded to change his game mentality) fit in with the PW and present ‘Derby way’ .

Then the question is whether the need to track back and defend negatively affects his ability to raid forward as much. I guess NML has changed his way of playing in this regard since he joined us … but it took a bit of time to adjust….

15 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Interestingly, however, the word from the Charlton end is that he isn’t much one for fulfilling his defensive duties so that wouldn’t (at the moment -unless he can be persuaded to change his game mentality) fit in with the PW and present ‘Derby way’ .

Then the question is whether the need to track back and defend negatively affects his ability to raid forward as much. I guess NML has changed his way of playing in this regard since he joined us … but it took a bit of time to adjust….

Bear in mind, Warne admitted himself this season the key to NML's form has been telling him to abandon the defensive elements of the wide role. If our ideal system is symmetrical, CBT may have the same instructions on the opposite flank which could suit him then?

17 hours ago, S8TY said:

Hes not worth 500k would you pay 500k for something you could get for zilch in a few months ?

hes not a bad player but hes also not as good as you’re making out and 500k is way too much if we could get him for half that or maybe 300k then fair enough …he can be quite frustrating type of player and i think NML is better than him but he has pace and that will scare teams but i wouldn’t pay 500k for him 

Any player who is a top player at League 1 level will be frustrating. You could even say the same for many quality players in the Championship.

Some of our best attacking players over recent years - Wilson, Mount, Russell, Ward, Ince, Martin, Vydra, Lawrence - fall into that bracket for various reasons.

Mendez-Laing and Wilson have days when they are incredibly frustrating too and nothing comes off, let’s not forget, but you do notice when they are in the team and when they are not.

Many looked back at January last season and said why didn’t we make more of an effort to strengthen the squad and avoid burnout. Many looked at the summer and said why weren’t we more proactive in nailing down our targets.

It seems to me the club are trying to learn lessons. CBT is clearly a long term target and someone we have been tracking for 6 months at the very least, so it’s not a snap judgement either.

A good League 1 player that is in demand would ordinarily cost anywhere from £1 million to as much as £5 million. In exceptional cases, like a really prolific forward, even more.

£500,000 may seem a lot based on the restrictions we have become accustomed to, but in real terms, it’s small fry if you want to get a player who is performing well at this level and has the potential to scale up into the Championship.

26 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Any player who is a top player at League 1 level will be frustrating. You could even say the same for many quality players in the Championship.

Some of our best attacking players over recent years - Wilson, Mount, Russell, Ward, Ince, Martin, Vydra, Lawrence - fall into that bracket for various reasons.

Mendez-Laing and Wilson have days when they are incredibly frustrating too and nothing comes off, let’s not forget, but you do notice when they are in the team and when they are not.

Many looked back at January last season and said why didn’t we make more of an effort to strengthen the squad and avoid burnout. Many looked at the summer and said why weren’t we more proactive in nailing down our targets.

It seems to me the club are trying to learn lessons. CBT is clearly a long term target and someone we have been tracking for 6 months at the very least, so it’s not a snap judgement either.

A good League 1 player that is in demand would ordinarily cost anywhere from £1 million to as much as £5 million. In exceptional cases, like a really prolific forward, even more.

£500,000 may seem a lot based on the restrictions we have become accustomed to, but in real terms, it’s small fry if you want to get a player who is performing well at this level and has the potential to scale up into the Championship.

This is my original point CBT is not a bad player but I stick by original post and say I don't think he's worth 500K and who says he's in demand ? If decent Championship clubs wanted him we would probably be out of the equation but from what I've been hearing  only a lower champ side is interested and I'm not sure at this stage if he'd shine in the championship so 500k would seem like a lot if he's only good enough to contribute to us getting out of L1

If it was say Brannagan from Oxford for 500K I'd be saying different and go for it because he does look really good  and think he'd still be good in a league higher but this is only my opinion of course based on what I've seen but CBT is a gamble and I personally would only go to 300K maybe 350K at a push , I think he'd be a better option than Wilson so would mean he'd be on the bench 

4 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Bear in mind, Warne admitted himself this season the key to NML's form has been telling him to abandon the defensive elements of the wide role. If our ideal system is symmetrical, CBT may have the same instructions on the opposite flank which could suit him then?

Fair point and probably correct.

I think PW’s point was that NML was being asked to do less defensively, but still do some. In that regard it’s noticeable that he (NML) actually still does a good amount of tracking back. Obviously the new habits have somewhat stuck !😎

Of course to a large degree it depends who they have behind them defensively and whether they are also the attacking FB/WB type…

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

This is my original point CBT is not a bad player but I stick by original post and say I don't think he's worth 500K and who says he's in demand ? If decent Championship clubs wanted him we would probably be out of the equation but from what I've been hearing  only a lower champ side is interested and I'm not sure at this stage if he'd shine in the championship so 500k would seem like a lot if he's only good enough to contribute to us getting out of L1

If it was say Brannagan from Oxford for 500K I'd be saying different and go for it because he does look really good  and think he'd still be good in a league higher but this is only my opinion of course based on what I've seen but CBT is a gamble and I personally would only go to 300K maybe 350K at a push , I think he'd be a better option than Wilson so would mean he'd be on the bench 

500k has not been stated.

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

I honestly believe a player like Brannagan really could be the big missing piece of the jigsaw as far as or team’s development is concerned. More important than another wide player in my view. I say that because we really tend to be a single plan team at the moment- give it to Cash or Nelson, who then feed it out wide and then it goes down the line…

We don’t really have that Plan B of attack utilizing a good and creative thrust through the middle … Brannagan etc would bring that …

4 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I honestly believe a player like Brannagan really could be the big missing piece of the jigsaw as far as or team’s development is concerned. More important than another wide player in my view. I say that because we really tend to be a single plan team at the moment- give it to Cash or Nelson, who then feed it out wide and then it goes down the line…

We don’t really have that Plan B of attack utilizing a good and creative thrust through the middle … Brannagan etc would bring that …

1.5 years left on his contract and previously had a 7 figure release clause. Worth looking at if we go up ?

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

For reference, we paid £350k for Ben Davies over 10 years ago and felt it was reasonable value for money.

5 hours ago, caymanram said:

Brannagan wouldn't dominate in a midfield 2 against a 3 like Posh have.

He's a younger Hourihane

Elder, Ward, Bradley, Fornah and a terminally injured Waghorn and Washington.  That's a lot of wages, probably very good ones at this level, injured or not playing.  If I was chairman I'd be reticent about spaffing fees and wages on players with that track record of signings.  Think we'll only be going so far, funds available or not.

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Brannagan wouldn't dominate in a midfield 2 against a 3 like Posh have.

He's a younger Hourihane

Without the class.

He shoots a lot and he scores a lot via the brute force method... at League One level.  Stat-boosted individually yet never a critical part of a team achieving more than their individual talent deserves. A central midfield version of Thomas Ince. Avoid.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Find this interesting, I’ve said before I think the local press are given some info by the club under the new regime. When it’s something speculative or an opinion piece by Leigh Curtis it’s easy to see that, for him to say the club “are still pushing” gives me hope he knows more than Warne was willing to let on last night 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Elder, Ward, Bradley, Fornah and a terminally injured Waghorn and Washington.  That's a lot of wages, probably very good ones at this level, injured or not playing.  If I was chairman I'd be reticent about spaffing fees and wages on players with that track record of signings.  Think we'll only be going so far, funds available or not.

So never sign anyone ever again?

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Since Mark Thomas contractually couldn't work for our club until the summer, it's possible that our summer signings were predominantly Warne signings. With a few months to settle in and set his team up, I would expect recruitment to improve going forward - this could be possible mitigation towards Warne with regards to not having the tools available to do the best job he possibly could.

The players we've been linked to this window appear to be more Mark Thomas targets than the summer signings.