Match Thread: vs Bolton (A)

Rampant

Is there anywhere we can see the referees match report/definitely see why Wildsmith was sent off? 

The referee appears to wave advantage after the initial Wildsmith challenge - I think this was a foul as he went through the player to get the ball - but the player was going away from goal across the pitch and Sonny arguably would have covered so wouldn't be a straight red?

For the handball - from the other end of the ground the ball appeared to hit Wildsmith in the chest, the video on X shows this, so given the positioning of the ref, there's no way he could not see that.

red.png

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Looks like we have;

C69BB2F6-B91B-4BE9-BFD4-F691CFC42E30.jpeg

I think that makes it pretty conclusive that the red was for the handball, not the tackle.  The club will have seen the ref's match report and know exactly why he was sent off before they appeal it.

And I'm *fairly* sure that they can't go back and retrospectively change the red card to being for the tackle, if the ref didn't originally give it for that.

So the refs thought process must have been:-

Play on Bolton might score.

Play on they are still in with a chance

Good grief that’s 3 chances wasted.

Do you think the keeper handled it outside the area?

He might have. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and send him off. No more triple saves from him.

I’m sure we got an apology for the crap decision. But yet again it doesn’t help us with the dropped points that resulted from it….

The incompetence of officiating at this level is genuinely scary. If some of these guys can become qualified refs then I’m pretty sure most of us on this forum could do!

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

The FA version:

Interesting they have left it ambiguous.

So was it a handball or not? If not, then the ref and assistant obviously guessed or it was an optical illusion that the ball hit his hand that only video could clarify.

Or did the commission still think it was a handball, but not a goal scoring opportunity?

This sort of thing does cost teams promotion, as every season automatic or play off places are won or lost on margins of less than three points.

The game has gone on my Spreadsheet of Injustice to see how it 'evens itself out over the course of the season', that for us, strangely, never seems to be the case 🤬

On 04/09/2023 at 12:17, duncanjwitham said:

I think that makes it pretty conclusive that the red was for the handball, not the tackle.  The club will have seen the ref's match report and know exactly why he was sent off before they appeal it.

And I'm *fairly* sure that they can't go back and retrospectively change the red card to being for the tackle, if the ref didn't originally give it for that.

Not conclusive at all to judge by the FA statement