Is this the worst Derby County side in the club's 139 year history?

Marriot Ram99

10 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Can you compare modern players to players from different generations? I don't know. I don't think so. I don't think you can compare a squad from 100 years ago to a much more modern one. 

Of course you can't. You can only make relative comparisons on achievements. The definitive view can never be substantiated. Kevin Hector actually believes that the McClaren side that lost to QPR at Wembley, would have beaten the two League winning sides that he played in. He bases that on the fact that through the training regimes, diet and other sports science, todays players are professional athletes whereas the players of his era fell below those heights of fitness. But in terms of the history of our club, the 70s team rules and maybe will for all time. We'll never know the answer to that one. But the Champions definitely played the best football I've seen in over 60 years of watching the Rams.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

I think the current team is definitely a contender for the worst side ever.

We had a few bad sides in the mid 1960s and again in the early 80s, but I think the current team tops them both, as being the worst.

I can't comment on sides from 100 years ago + but I don't think we were ever as low in the leagues as we are now.  I stand corrected of course.

58 minutes ago, Geriatram said:

What are you talking about? my first season as a full blown supporter we finished second to Grimsby, It was for a 13 year old a great season followed by an even better one in 57. In the sixty odd years since I think I have seen more poor sides than good ones. We must have had 40 different managers in that time most have left because they were rubbish.

We did indeed finish second to the mighty Grimsby and don`t forget that only the league winners were promoted from the 3rd Division (North) together with the winners of the 3rd Division (South). No play-offs in the 50`s. Promoted as Champions the following season and the game I recall was the 7-1 demolition of Chesterfield.

5 minutes ago, cstand said:

What is the actual record for defeats in a row at home.?

We managed 7 in a row in the 11-point season… that would be hard to top but I wouldn’t rule it out!

It's a reasonable question for pub-like discussion but, as others have said, it's impossible to really draw accurate comparisons.

Also, as discussed on other threads, I do not think the squad is as bad as they appear because of how they're being set up to play.

But, things do look pretty grim at the moment and we'll need a turnaround to secure mid-table. Which although it would be dire is better than it could have been, remembering what we went through last year.

4 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Serious question,  was thinking whilst at the game yesterday relative to the level we are playing at and the standard of football we are playing I think this team is a contender for our worst ever side.

I only started watching in 2008 as I was 9 then and that's when I got into Derby, but this is definitely the worst team since I've been watching,  heard we were bad in the 1980s but I doubt we were ever this bad.  2007 Prem side would beat this team imo and wouldn't struggle vs average League 1 teams.

What do people think who have been watching for decades? Got to be up there at the moment imo.

2007 team were unlucky. 

Billy Davies, in my opinion, was a good manager, took a team that should have been relegation favourites to Premier League.  No investment once there meant - his 'friend', who Billy Davies would never not name drop, Alex Ferguson, would have been relegated with.  If we had lost the play off he'd have lasted a few years.  

If we got rid of Warne, Billy would be my number one choice.  Should never have been sacked for what he achieved.  

4 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

2007 team were unlucky. 

Billy Davies, in my opinion, was a good manager, took a team that should have been relegation favourites to Premier League.  No investment once there meant - his 'friend', who Billy Davies would never not name drop, Alex Ferguson, would have been relegated with.  If we had lost the play off he'd have lasted a few years.  

If we got rid of Warne, Billy would be my number one choice.  Should never have been sacked for what he achieved.  

Oh god, no.

Haven't we suffered enough??!!!

5 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Serious question,  was thinking whilst at the game yesterday relative to the level we are playing at and the standard of football we are playing I think this team is a contender for our worst ever side.

I only started watching in 2008 as I was 9 then and that's when I got into Derby, but this is definitely the worst team since I've been watching,  heard we were bad in the 1980s but I doubt we were ever this bad.  2007 Prem side would beat this team imo and wouldn't struggle vs average League 1 teams.

What do people think who have been watching for decades? Got to be up there at the moment imo.

As well as being the knee jerk of all knee jerk reactions after only 3 league games, the question is ludicrous unless anyone knows of a 160 year old who still has a cracking memory and all of his faculties, still being fit enough to attend matches.

Edited by Arsene Titman
Additional text

9 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

2007 team were unlucky. 

Hope you’re keeping well Billy...😎

3 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

As well as being a knee jerk reaction after only 3 league games, the question is ludicrous unless anyone knows of a 160 year old who still has a cracking memory and all of his faculties, still being fit enough to attend matches.

I think you're being a bit unrealistic there. I mean, a fan of a different club might make it to 160, but come on...

5 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

The team that were relegated to League One in 1984 had Bobby Davison, Kevin Wilson and Steve Buckley. Plus like this squad a lot of oldies well past their sell by date , but at least then the oldies had been good once. This lot is way worse than the 1984 crop. And before that well of course Clough and Mackay.  I would think this is easily the worst team we have had in the last 60 years, quite probably ever. . 

2 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

It's a fair question as we have not been in the 3rd tier for many years in our history,  and the football so far this season has been truly disgraceful at home. Maybe abit early but continue like this and for sure it will be the worst side , if we finish bottom half in this league they will go down as a disgrace to the shirt and it will be like the 11 point season at the end.

I like the way you try and qualify that you've asked a fair question by basically saying because you've said so. 

Compelling argument 

I had hoped that the covid team after Bielik's injury would be the worst team I'd ever see (ironically stayed up at the expense of Warne's Rotherham)

Unfortunately this team looks even worse.

Matt Clark and Edmundson would both play ahead of Nelson and Bradley

Buchanan would play ahead of Elder and Kazim would play ahead of Collins