Is this the worst Derby County side in the club's 139 year history?

Marriot Ram99

5 hours ago, alram said:

YES.

i dont know how people can debate it isnt, this side is utterly terrible and devoid of any quality. the context of our opponents needs to be taken into account, the 11 point team would toy with this time however an unorganised mess they were, man for man we are terrible currently

I agree the lack of quality is the worst I have ever seen in 50 years 

I don't think we have one player who has the skill to do something special to create a goal 

its also far worse than last season Mr Warne from your recruitment 

3 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

It's a fair question as we have not been in the 3rd tier for many years in our history,  and the football so far this season has been truly disgraceful at home. Maybe abit early but continue like this and for sure it will be the worst side , if we finish bottom half in this league they will go down as a disgrace to the shirt and it will be like the 11 point season at the end.

You’re entitled to start any thread you like, im not throwing shade obviously.

However, my take is this. We have looked disjointed and poor, certainly yesterday. Players have looked lost and a bit confused. 

However, we have been punished by almost every mistake we’ve made which I would consider unlucky. I can’t ever remember a season where we’ve not started looking quite poor. Usually, we aren’t punished this badly, however, and scrape a few draws which obviously doesn’t seem as doom and gloom.

I hope they get it together (I think they will in fairness) and we’ll start to win games. It’s just so reactionary to be talking about sacking him.

1990/91 relegation season sticks in the memory as a real low point. Maxwell had pulled the plug. 5 wins, 24 points and finished bottom. A 7-1 home defeat to Liverpool is a game I cannot forget. 

We just didn't have the players to support Saunders and Wright 

I think you have to be wary of recency bias at times like this. There are certain people I know, for example, who insist that every bad performance is 'the worst I've seen us play in 40/50/60 years' etc etc, even when they said that the previous week.

It must be sheer coincidence that the worst performance they ever saw just so happens to be the one they are just walking out of the ground having seen.

For me personally the nadir was the Phil Brown months. Come back to me when you've seen us lumping the ball up aimlessly to the 36 year old player-assistant manager who has just come off the bench.

Edited by LittleEatonRam

22 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Serious question,  was thinking whilst at the game yesterday relative to the level we are playing at and the standard of football we are playing I think this team is a contender for our worst ever side.

I only started watching in 2008 as I was 9 then and that's when I got into Derby, but this is definitely the worst team since I've been watching,  heard we were bad in the 1980s but I doubt we were ever this bad.  2007 Prem side would beat this team imo and wouldn't struggle vs average League 1 teams.

What do people think who have been watching for decades? Got to be up there at the moment imo.

Mate, you were spared the awful DCFC teams from the late 70s early 80s, truly dreadful, but the worst side must be the 2007 Prem side, an absolute stain on our history, this present team would turn them over without a doubt, apart from big Darren Moore they were the MST spineless, clueless outfit ever to wear the shirt

12 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Mate, you were spared the awful DCFC teams from the late 70s early 80s, truly dreadful, but the worst side must be the 2007 Prem side, an absolute stain on our history, this present team would turn them over without a doubt, apart from big Darren Moore they were the MST spineless, clueless outfit ever to wear the shirt

Yes it was a good job that way first season,  I thought the 2007 Prem team would be a contender but on paper the likes of Kenny Miller, Steve Howard, Pearson ect. should be too good for league 1 which we aren't at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Yes it was a good job that way first season,  I thought the 2007 Prem team would be a contender but on paper the likes of Kenny Miller, Steve Howard, Pearson ect. should be too good for league 1 which we aren't at the moment. 

Yes.  I remember the apparent worst team in history, beating a side 2 divisions below us 2-0 and it could have been 5 in a pre season match.  They were called Forest or something like that.  

On 16/08/2023 at 23:08, Ramzabac said:

1990/91 relegation season sticks in the memory as a real low point. Maxwell had pulled the plug. 5 wins, 24 points and finished bottom. A 7-1 home defeat to Liverpool is a game I cannot forget. 

We just didn't have the players to support Saunders and Wright 

I remember Rush diving liking a salmon swimming upstream to get a penalty in that one to make it 1-1.  I also remember that was our record home defeat if memory serves and the atmosphere was very bad outside the ground.  Rule 1.  If your going to drive down Cambridge Street after that, take the Liverpool scarf off the wing mirrors and don't pip a road full of blokes making their way home.  I can still see one of them bouncing up and down on the bonnet. 

On 16/08/2023 at 11:57, WystonRam said:

Certainly up there, but probably the team that lost 6-0 to non league Boston in the cup, in the 3rd division north days might be close ?

…but at least they were full of ex-Rams with a point to prove…so sort of Derby old v. Derby new - in mitigation. 

34 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Heading that way .... 

Deffo seen worse, late 70s, the Docs team, early 80s with Addison, Billy the Dwarf Davies in the prem, Jewell, i will shag anything, so not the worst team at all, and after 3 league games, so so early to even be discussing this, come on everyone lets get behind our 1 club for life Dcfc, ONCE A RAM ALWAYS A RAM. Better times are ahead, lets keep the faith, and get behind the lads come 3PM on saturday. 

On 16/08/2023 at 14:46, Henrycav81 said:

At least the 84-85 side had Bobby Davison in it so you always thought we might score unfortunately it also had Kenny Burns in it 😀

Regarding Kenny Burns playing for "us" . As far as I am concerned and as my memory serves me well he always gave 110% when he played for the RAMS ,and he actually tried and cared whenever he put the shirt on.

My opinion

21 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Regarding Kenny Burns playing for "us" . As far as I am concerned and as my memory serves me well he always gave 110% when he played for the RAMS ,and he actually tried and cared whenever he put the shirt on.

My opinion

There were far worse players than kenny Burns around that period John McCall, George Foster,etc and not forgetting the worse player I ever saw play for Derby Mick Coop. I was just having a cheap shot at Burns because he always slags us off when he loves us really I believe he still lives in Derby 

IMO, the side has had an OK game against Wigan. The result being helped by individual errors and a refereeing error. Poor against Blackpool. Good at Burton. Disjointed against Oxford with some good bits as well as the bad. Not the best of starts but I don't think you can call this the worst side ever based on just 4 games.

All the wailing and the gnashing of teeth all over "social media" is typical of the immediacy of modern day life. It all has to be instant. On a scale of 1 to 10, anything and everything gets an immediate 1 or a 10. No thought into the background, the reasons, the possibilities moving forward (if there are any).

I'll be 70 next birthday and I'd love there to be a wider view taken of things. The world is not a better place for the polarisation that has taken place.