Is this the worst Derby County side in the club's 139 year history?

Marriot Ram99

The performances against Blackpool and Oxford were absolutely disgraceful. Against Wigan it was better and against Burton it was a poor performance masked by two late goals. 

In my opinion the players are either confused by what is being asked of them, unwilling to play for the manager or just simply not good enough. All three options are very worrying. 

I used to get bored of watching the side to side passing with little end product football but I’d bite your hand off if you offered it me again, this 3 pass and then hit it long, pass it to an isolated wing back to try and cross, defence wide open stuff is absolutely horrible to watch. 

Seeing what Rotherham fans have said about Paul’s tenure confirms that there will be no adjustments made to the style of play and that we’re in for a very long three seasons unless Mr Clowes decides to pull the plug.

1 minute ago, 8Leeds said:

I used to get bored of watching the side to side passing with little end product football but I’d bite your hand off if you offered it me again, this 3 pass and then hit it long, pass it to an isolated wing back to try and cross, defence wide open stuff is absolutely horrible to watch

Seeing what Rotherham fans have said about Paul’s tenure confirms that there will be no adjustments made to the style of play and that we’re in for a very long three seasons unless Mr Clowes decides to pull the plug.

It's not just that though, it's that it is so scripted the opposition know what we're going to do and don't have to do anything about it if they want to catch their breath for a few minutes. We have the move along the back 5, which if we (are allowed to) keep possession, could go on forever, or alternatively we have the forward hoof. There is a small proportion of ball possession in which our midfield 3 can try to create something offensive, but two of them are approximately 50% wasteful or return the ball to the 5-at-the-back passing ritual, while further forward we have one guy taking up bad positions presumably out of frustration, while the other one takes up bad positions because he's not sure where he should be playing.

Other than that, it's been terrific to watch.

Incidentally, the main thing that bothered me at the start of last season was the dicing-with-death messing around at the back. Similarly to you though, I'd bite your hand off if you offered me high risk playing out from the back and a sweeper keeper, over passing the ball straight to an opponent and playing a high line with 2.5 slow centre-backs!

It may not be the worst, but its probably the most dispiriting. The worst were probably around 1982/83. Players like Ian Dalziel, Yakka Banovic, Reg Greenwood, Mick Brolly, Billy Caskey, Calvin Plummer, Paul Emson, Glenn Skivington and Bobby Campbell    

18 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

It may not be the worst, but its probably the most dispiriting. The worst were probably around 1982/83. Players like Ian Dalziel, Yakka Banovic, Reg Greenwood, Mick Brolly, Billy Caskey, Calvin Plummer, Paul Emson, Glenn Skivington and Bobby Campbell    

Arghhhh I'd removed them from my memory, well except Caskey and Emson who I thought might come good. 😄

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

There were far worse players than kenny Burns around that period John McCall, George Foster,etc and not forgetting the worse player I ever saw play for Derby Mick Coop. I was just having a cheap shot at Burns because he always slags us off when he loves us really I believe he still lives in Derby 

Kenny Burns is a wind up merchant but actually very humorous ,with a dry wit, and good company .

Thought Alan Ramage was the worse Colin Addison signed him from Boro £150,000 I believe .

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

There were far worse players than kenny Burns around that period John McCall, George Foster,etc and not forgetting the worse player I ever saw play for Derby Mick Coop. I was just having a cheap shot at Burns because he always slags us off when he loves us really I believe he still lives in Derby 

Please leave George Foster alone 😠. He was my hero for what he did to Keegan at St James' Park 😲. You are not wrong about Mick Coop though. He is the first name on my team sheet for the worst ever Derby 11 (in my memory time of watching Derby).

47 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Not sure they were all at Derby in 1982/1983. Certainly, Reggie Greenwood wasn't, he left for Swindon (I think) in 1980.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Arghhhh I'd removed them from my memory, well except Caskey and Emson who I thought might come good. 😄

I'm struggling with the concept that Caskey "might come good". Or do you mean Emson only. He certainly had pace but was a shockingly bad crosser of a ball.

5 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

I'm struggling with the concept that Caskey "might come good". Or do you mean Emson only. He certainly had pace but was a shockingly bad crosser of a ball.

I was a lot younger (it might have co-incided with my Uni/drinking days too) and even more optimistic than nowadays! 😄 I can't remember 'timelines' when was he here, was there another Irish player signed at the same time?

Edited by RoyMac5

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was a lot younger (it might have co-incided with my Uni/drinking days too) and even more optimistic than nowadays! 😄 I can't remember 'timelines' when was he here, was there another Irish player signed at the same time?

In September 1978, Tommy Docherty hit rock-bottom in his atrocious dealings in the transfer market for Derby when he signed Billy Caskey and Vic Moreland in a double deal from Glentoran and Paul Emson from Brigg Town. Caskey and Moreland went straight into the team in the First Division and were regulars that season and both were capped by Northern Ireland; they were atrocious. Emson had to wait until March 1979 to make his debut and played in 12 consecutive games; he was completely out of his depth.

11 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

In September 1978, Tommy Docherty hit rock-bottom in his atrocious dealings in the transfer market for Derby when he signed Billy Caskey and Vic Moreland in a double deal from Glentoran and Paul Emson from Brigg Town. Caskey and Moreland went straight into the team in the First Division and were regulars that season and both were capped by Northern Ireland; they were atrocious. Emson had to wait until March 1979 to make his debut and played in 12 consecutive games; he was completely out of his depth.

Ah well drink must have addled my memory. 😄

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Emson scored one screamer from well outside the box though, do you remember?

Yes, and a header against Watford away. I think we lost the Watford game 6-1?. Now we ARE talking about worst ever Derby teams.

22 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But do you remember that amazing dribble from Moreland at the Baseball Ground when he beat about 8 players (some maybe twice). I don't remember anything came from the dibble though. I did think he was the better footballer of the two Irishmen.

Edited by Yoxoram
To make post clearer