Is Warne living on borrowed time?

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Maybe. I got the impression that he was happy and relieved at the outcome, but keeping his feet on the ground after the battering he's taken this week.

Agree with that.

Also possible someone had a word in his ear about post match comments. This is a bigger goldfish bowl and he’s possibly still getting used to the attention it brings.

2 hours ago, Malty said:

Post match yesterday was it me or was Paul Warne seemingly going through the motions of being “pleased”. It looked to me as if he was pretty ashamed and embarrassed about how he’s acted over the last week and his reaction was to be very coy over what should have been a great moment for him.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Two losses and a win every 3 games is form that will probably see him sacked come the end of the season so he's probably not going to get over-excited at this stage

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

He said before the Burton game that he was going to have to change his interviews, be less open and provide less information, after the reaction to his midweek post match comments. Who can blame him?

The fans will all moan and cry now because he goes to standard manager speak and gives nothing away.

As it goes in the film, "we want the truth". "You can't handle the truth".

No we can handle the truth, but Warne cannot it seems. It's going to take a lot to forget him throwing players under the bus as an excuse for a poor display! The most obvious question might be why didn't a manger who lays such store in 'man-management' know that his players were affected? 

Anyway, whilst we keep winning that will be the bigger truth. 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

Big test for him for this weeks home game.

For me, the way he sets up is crucial. If he persists with two up front, wing backs and bird as his most attacking midfielder then it will be clear that he hasn’t learnt and is stubbornly holding on to the believe that his way is the correct way, home or away. If we see three forward men or the removal of at least one of bird, hourihane and smith in midfield. That’s when I will perhaps have more belief that we can finish in the top 3 or 4.

Attack at home. Pack the midfield away. It’s that simple.

Warne has pretty much echoed everything I thought about the last 3 games. It is not as if he's trying to cover it up with the usual manager phoned in answers (new team, time to gel, we go again etc etc). That would hack me off. Genuinely feelings, a good self awareness around the club. Nothing wrong with this. All the issues I think we have in the squad, Warne identified and knows what we require.

I have a feeling the penny dropped a little bit for him this week. At Rotherham if he had a bad run, he'd get away with it because there's little expectations. Coming to a much bigger club, with his pretty mediocre home record from the back of last season through to this season, fans are going to naturally become more frustrated. Bigger wage bill, bigger facilities, you have got to perform. As much as we want to believe it, time isn't on a manager's side.

We replaced an upcoming future manager, who wasn't getting much stick from our supporters because of the good reputation he built, with a more experienced outside name. If we was struggling near the foot of the table, I think Warne would get more credit. But because he's come in, with a squad which looks competitive on paper, there's more demand on him to succeed.

The main thing I want from Warne short term is to start winning more matches against those top 8/9 teams. We was dreadful in the majority of those matches last season and it ultimately cost us. His record against the little teams near the bottom have rarely cause us problems, we seem to beat these comfortably.

It's always been a niggle in the back of my mind. Why did he never keep Rotherham up, was it down to purely budget or his record against "better sides". I just want him to prove me wrong and get us firing.

1 hour ago, Malty said:

Big test for him for this weeks home game.

For me, the way he sets up is crucial. If he persists with two up front, wing backs and bird as his most attacking midfielder then it will be clear that he hasn’t learnt and is stubbornly holding on to the believe that his way is the correct way, home or away. If we see three forward men or the removal of at least one of bird, hourihane and smith in midfield. That’s when I will perhaps have more belief that we can finish in the top 3 or 4.

Attack at home. Pack the midfield away. It’s that simple.

But….and bear with me for this one….what if he stubbornly holds onto his way and it gets the results? I’m not saying he will or won’t, but seems odd to state ultimatums already.

We didn’t pack the midfield yesterday, we pretty much bypassed it for large chunks of the game and won. It wasn’t pretty but it did the job. So perhaps it’s less simple than you suggest? Or a different simple?

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But….and bear with me for this one….what if he stubbornly holds onto his way and it gets the results? I’m not saying he will or won’t, but seems odd to state ultimatums already.

We didn’t pack the midfield yesterday, we pretty much bypassed it for large chunks of the game and won. It wasn’t pretty but it did the job. So perhaps it’s less simple than you suggest? Or a different simple?

I think that’s exactly what he’ll do. But I can’t see these tactics getting a team like us automatic promotion. Maybe I’m wrong. I just think against decent teams at home we need to be more creative. Saying that. Perhaps it will be enough for play offs and perhaps we can sneak up with warne one way or another. Fingers crossed!!

I was surprised he made no changes for the Burton game but part of me understood that he was saying you were my first choice 11 last week, I believed in you then now go out and get me a result. We have two very winnable home games now, obviously the second one is easier on paper than the first. Win them and we have 9 points from the first 4 games and everything is looking good again particularly as we must surely have some reinforcements coming in. What will completely spoil it for me is if Bird goes. Let’s hope not

11 hours ago, SSD said:

Warne has pretty much echoed everything I thought about the last 3 games. It is not as if he's trying to cover it up with the usual manager phoned in answers (new team, time to gel, we go again etc etc). That would hack me off. Genuinely feelings, a good self awareness around the club. Nothing wrong with this. All the issues I think we have in the squad, Warne identified and knows what we require.

I have a feeling the penny dropped a little bit for him this week. At Rotherham if he had a bad run, he'd get away with it because there's little expectations. Coming to a much bigger club, with his pretty mediocre home record from the back of last season through to this season, fans are going to naturally become more frustrated. Bigger wage bill, bigger facilities, you have got to perform. As much as we want to believe it, time isn't on a manager's side.

We replaced an upcoming future manager, who wasn't getting much stick from our supporters because of the good reputation he built, with a more experienced outside name. If we was struggling near the foot of the table, I think Warne would get more credit. But because he's come in, with a squad which looks competitive on paper, there's more demand on him to succeed.

The main thing I want from Warne short term is to start winning more matches against those top 8/9 teams. We was dreadful in the majority of those matches last season and it ultimately cost us. His record against the little teams near the bottom have rarely cause us problems, we seem to beat these comfortably.

It's always been a niggle in the back of my mind. Why did he never keep Rotherham up, was it down to purely budget or his record against "better sides". I just want him to prove me wrong and get us firing.

I think it's both.

I hesitate to post this especially after a win. So know that I hope I'm wrong.

With the way Warne sets things up there is a heavy reliance on either having more quality than the opposition or being able to outwork oppostion/harass them into mistakes. I think this is why his record was good against "lesser" teams last year and its why we get unstuck against "better" teams.

Tactically what we employ is very basic and doesn't do much to get more out of the sum our parts as a team. Our pressing is aggressive but mindless and almost all of our build play amounts to get it wide, quickly and dont worry too much about working the ball or keeping it. So when we are a better/athletic team on paper gaps are more exploitable, it's easier to force possession errors and we are less prone to getting punished by a counter attack. Especially because the lower down the leagues a team is the more they have to decide between talent on the ball and athlecism.

This increasingly doesn't work against better teams as they are more able to keep the ball under pressure, let gaps open up in our midfield and then counter lethally.

And I think a lot of this is kinda unfixable without a major shift in outlook from Warne and his coaching staff. 

I think he is now more wary of Ed Dawes. He was giving his reasoning in his usual quick delivery style, said one thing in the middle of a long sentence and Dawes was on it like a viper. Straight there, probing and expanding. I’m sure Warne was a bit taken aback by that and will now measure what he says. He was only throwing in possible reasons for a poor performance but Dawes made it into an actual issue. I’d guess he won’t get the chance to do that again. 

As @Malty eluded to i watched the post match interview and he didn't seem his usual chirpy self. 

Of course he's only human, maybe he'd received a bad text from the mrs or maybe his boiler had broken. 

But assuming his morale wasn't affected by outside reasons, maybe as @SSD suggested Warne has realised that whilst we'll back the team in numbers and whilst our support during the Rooney days were unmatched. If he drops the ball this season or even if we lose a couple of matches the knives will start to sharpen. Or perhaps he's down because our recruitment let him down?

Who knows at the end of the day. Hopefully a win on tuesday will see him back to his positive self. 

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think it's both.

With the way Warne sets things up there is a heavy reliance on either having more quality than the opposition or being able to outwork oppostion/harass them into mistakes. I think this is why his record was good against "lesser" teams last year and its why we get unstuck against "better" teams.

Tactically what we employ is very basic and doesn't do much to get more out of the sum our parts as a team. Our pressing is aggressive but mindless and almost all of our build play amounts to get it wide, quickly and dont worry too much about working the ball or keeping it. So when we are a better/athletic team on paper gaps are more exploitable, it's easier to force possession errors and we are less prone to getting punished by a counter attack. Especially because the lower down the leagues a team is the more they have to decide between talent on the ball and athlecism.

This increasingly doesn't work against better teams as they are more able to keep the ball under pressure, let gaps open up in our midfield and then counter lethally.

And I think a lot of this is kinda unfixable without a major shift in outlook from Warne and his coaching staff. 

This.

We are the Graeme Hick or Anthony Joshua of League One.

8 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think it's both.

I think there's some truth in this too. It did however work 3 times for Rotherham in this league.  I think the bigger question is how far it will take you in the championship but we can worry about that when we get there.  

23 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That's form that would be expected to see us relegated,so you're probably correct.

One of those defeats doesn't count though, when referring to relegation.  

Put the hoover down.  Step away from the hoover.  👀

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think there's some truth in this too. It did however work 3 times for Rotherham in this league.  I think the bigger question is how far it will take you in the championship but we can worry about that when we get there.  

With better players that we would get in the champ, ur able to press harder , for longer and with greater discipline and awareness.

countless teams have played and done well with a warne esq approach its just doing it well and consistently. 

like any style, executed well and it looks the nuts.. when executed badly it looks a disorganised mess