Is Warne living on borrowed time?

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

I think you need to listen to his interview on Radio Derby where he is asked what the plan is if we don't go up this year and he says "that's a question for the next manager as I doubt it will still be me"

He knows for sure that he is as safe as a football manager can be.

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

On a match day I think it's borderline pathetic that this thread is still bubbling along (and now I'm adding to it).

One 'unlucky-ish' League defeat and fans are asking if we should move on.  Jumping from one new fangled answer to another is a large part of what got us here.

There really is no patience and it's been replaced by an incredible amount of wild supposition about what is /isn't happening behind the scenes. We (are) were 2 signings away from seemingly purchasing exactly what we needed. There is still plenty of time to do that. Talk of 'losing the dressing room' is mind boggling and even if true with 1 or 2 players then you back the manager and get rid.  

Really hope we win today and can shut this conversation down instead of always wishing for a miracle via the next big thing (Wilder, Simpson whoever).

Only admin can remove threads 

While I accept a number of the concerns raised about Warne this past week, isn’t the notion “our younger players aren’t being trusted” a myth? Also the long term development of the club being questioned doesn’t make sense to me either.

Bird, Cashin, Knight, Sibley, Rooney all played big minutes last season. The likes of Dajaune Brown, Darren Robinson and Max Bardell have been given contracts and involved with pre-season in the first team. Liam Thompson could be an example, but he played 24 times last season and has been involved so far this season.

The leadership and coaching set up of the academy has been refreshed this summer. New additions have been made to the academy playing staff. Cat 1 status retained.

While the age profile of the 8 first team signings this summer isn’t exactly “young” I’m not sure I accept the allegations of youth in general not being trusted at the club or long term development being considered. It’s the short to medium term that raises questions in my view. 

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

It does not help to ignore the actual 2nd game of the season, especially when the first half display provoked such an audible critical reaction.

Warne will be given plenty of time, deservedly so, but today it would help if some of his new signings displayed why they were signed.

Alarm bells were ringing for me at the Shef u game . I thought the errors at the back were a “one off”. But I will be at the game today giving full support to Warne . I would not boo if we lost 4-0.

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

On a match day I think it's borderline pathetic that this thread is still bubbling along (and now I'm adding to it).

One 'unlucky-ish' League defeat and fans are asking if we should move on.  Jumping from one new fangled answer to another is a large part of what got us here.

There really is no patience and it's been replaced by an incredible amount of wild supposition about what is /isn't happening behind the scenes. We (are) were 2 signings away from seemingly purchasing exactly what we needed. There is still plenty of time to do that. Talk of 'losing the dressing room' is mind boggling and even if true with 1 or 2 players then you back the manager and get rid.  

Really hope we win today and can shut this conversation down instead of always wishing for a miracle via the next big thing (Wilder, Simpson whoever).

In my opinion the discontent isn’t about 1 game it’s about the direction we appear to be heading in, there doesn’t seem to be much of a plan or strategy

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The vast majority of fans are not going to get on Warneys  back this side of christmas. 

Paul Warnes barmy army will be the loudest chant from the South Stand for the next few home games.

You're all welcome to join in to help the club. Its free and feels really good to sing your heart out for the Rams.

Lets see how we get on in the 2nd game of the season!

I often wonder what percentage of the detractors on here actually go to any games? 

What’s confusing me about this thread is the people saying it takes time. Yes, the new players will need it but has Paul really got the best out of the players he’s been working with since last season. There’re some here talking like he’s just been appointed.

Liam took charge of 12 games last year, Paul had the rest. There was a purple patch but since that we’ve been up and down like a mucky birds crackers.

I want him to succeed but if he doesn’t address the blatantly obvious problem we’ve seen defensively in the last two games we’re going to be in for a very long season.

@brady1993 -  Well thought out post and not much I would disagree with, except I really hope he can make a success of this season and learn from mistakes.

I like Paul Warne but I'm getting frustrated with him persisting in a style of play which doesn't suit the players we have. We have a good squad of players - good enough to get into the top six this season with 2/3 more additions but he needs to adapt his preferred style of play to the players we actually have bearing in mind their age. At the moment it seems as if he expects them all to be able to exceed their potential and do the physically impossible. It's sad to see good players sometimes looking confused about their role and hapless. It's like they know instinctively what they should be doing but they're trying to concentrate on doing what they've been told instead.

Before our first game against Wigan forum fans were optimistic in their predictions that we would win. Today we play Burton Albion and it's a very different story and yet we should be more than a match for the much smaller club.

I think with a change of tactics and more playing to the strengths of players we should be contenders for the playoffs this season under PW but only if he takes on board the above issues which have raised by so many of us. Come on, Paul. COYR ! 🐏

Edited by Miggins

10 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

What’s confusing me about this thread is the people saying it takes time. Yes, the new players will need it but has Paul really got the best out of the players he’s been working with since last season. There’re some here talking like he’s just been appointed.

Liam took charge of 12 games last year, Paul had the rest. There was a purple patch but since that we’ve been up and down like a mucky birds crackers.

I want him to succeed but if he doesn’t address the blatantly obvious problem we’ve seen defensively in the last two games we’re going to be in for a very long season.

When he brought Knight back in as a 10 after his injury and Barkhuizen was playing very well.  Then Barkhuizen got dropped for nothing and Knight was used as defensive foil when we needed it to start using wingbacks who couldn't defend as part of their skillset.

37 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Warne will still be here for at least the next 3 years. His objectives provided by DC at the start of his 4 and a half year contract remain. It isn’t mandated that promotion must be attained in his second season (if it happens, then great); it’s about long term rebuilding of the club from what amounted to a large pile of ash. 

Contracts still mean nowt even if David Clowes is determined to run things properly. As a business, the club is results dependent. The statement  "Warne will be here for at least the next 3 years" has no merit. Its built on quicksand. It's a hope. but no more. If we have a brush with relegation this season Warne will be gone.

On 08/08/2023 at 22:19, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'd say so, what are other peoples thoughts?

Positive thoughts welcome.

i think as a regular poster and a so called rams supporter you should read your posts take a stiff drink and get real a complete waste of a post get behind club not bicker. we lost 2-1 in league and in a cup game in a competition we were never going to win. if we win today will you be on saying sorry got it wrong or just turn on someone/thing else.

39 minutes ago, alram said:

In my opinion the discontent isn’t about 1 game it’s about the direction we appear to be heading in, there doesn’t seem to be much of a plan or strategy

A sensible discussion about some concerns about who's playing where, if someone is playing poorly etc after 1 or 2 games is going to happen. 

But saying there is no plan is blatantly untrue. Its clear there is a plan ( for starters he wants 3 at the back and has recruited with that in mind). Now you may prefer something else, or fear that we won't win enough games playing that way...but  proposing he's on borrowed time and we need to find a replacement if it's the same for the next couple of games is just ridiculous self important 'I know best' on steroids. 

I've no idea what's happening behind the scenes or what the future holds but christ on a bike let's give it 5mins before jumping to end of the world type scenarios. I've been to the first two games but can't go today so here's hoping we can move on.

Hopefully there is some sensible posting of the matchday thread I can follow!

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The vast majority of fans are not going to get on Warneys  back this side of christmas. 

Paul Warnes barmy army will be the loudest chant from the South Stand for the next few home games.

You're all welcome to join in to help the club. Its free and feels really good to sing your heart out for the Rams.

Lets see how we get on in the 2nd game of the season!

Now I fully accept I am probably the least eligible to critique the South Stand, but having sat in the South West Upper last week I thought your part of the ground were muted at best. There only seemed to be any real noise on the two occasions Forsyth was doing his bit in Wigan’s penalty area.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Genuine question not having a go. Sit in West Upper mainly because we're near South Stand so get to join in singing but can see (i cant stand for a match) but it just doesnt seem the same at the moment in terms of getting the atmosphere going and wonder why you think that might be? Does it feel the same in south stand or do you notice to? Is 21 points the Didzy of songs and its hard to replace to get everything started? Thank you

Good point about the 21 points song. That was a real rallying cry and weve not replaced it. 

28 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Contracts still mean nowt even if David Clowes is determined to run things properly. As a business, the club is results dependent. The statement  "Warne will be here for at least the next 3 years" has no merit. Its built on quicksand. It's a hope. but no more. If we have a brush with relegation this season Warne will be gone.

Not a chance that there will be a brush with relegation, the team is nowhere near that bad. Sustaining the club is the single most important aspect of the managers remit. Then the results will follow. 
Warne will be given time - lots of it.