Warne has to get the balance right

Curtains

9 hours ago, CBRammette said:

And what is this new profile picture?! New season new you? 

It reflects possibly two things:

1) The new softer me

2) A nod to all the fawn eyed Warne supporters who despise me for not getting fully behind their man.

You choose x

Doesn't help that we can't reinvest funds (not sure if the EFL were sticklers for this or whether we didn't have the foresight to add it to the proposal at the start of the season). 

Also I concede PW knows far more about football than me, however he seems to have a thing for Birdy and I just don't get it. He drops 6/10 every week and whilst that's not the worst thing in the world, we can't afford this luxury when Smith is also in the XI. 

21 hours ago, Jayram said:

Something has to change; play to the strengths of the players we have instead of trying to force a system on them for a start. Several of our players looked in my view out of position and were thus rendered ineffective (NML, Bird) and in midfield it was the same old same old. The number of times our players had the ball and were trying to find options but couldn’t was ridiculous. 
Wigan should have been there for the taking; they have lost 16 players from their first team squad since the end of last season including their top scorer and yet they looked much more comfortable, composed and well drilled than us all game. 

Why do I have a Feeling of Cocu ? Trying to force a system on players that can’t play it.

besides Ward and Forsyth 

Defence  are like cart horses slow , pedestrian and were frequently out of position or caught out

the midfield had no energy for the alleged pressing and looked burnt out 

as for NML did he actually have any idea where he was playing.

no problem with collo besides dropping far too deep and having no service besides the predictable Joe Ward cross 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Deadly quiet.  I saw a lot of kids on their phones yesterday.  God knows what they're doing as I may as well be on the moon for the time I'm in there. They looked bored to be there.  If the quality stays the same  I reckon they'll be having family Saturdays out at Drayton Manor or sat at home playing some FIFA game against a bloke in the Azores in a month.  Turning up regardless of result isn't like the old days I'm afraid, there are plenty of other options for entertainment and they'll take it.

The match sounded pretty exciting on the radio. Are you saying it was boring? 

16 hours ago, angieram said:

Did you hear him talking about how the new coaching rules affected him yesterday? Said he wasn't allowed to step forward to discuss tactics with Richie Barker and felt uncomfortable doing it further back within earshot of the subs.

An unintended consequence of the changes designed to protect the fourth official. 

Warne needs to cut out the peripherals that impact on him , easier said than done if you're that type of person. I am one myself. Makes you lose focus.

It didn’t seem to affect Maloney though all managers will have to get use to it. If he wanted a greater say just stand in dugout instead of barker 

3 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

It didn’t seem to affect Maloney though all managers will have to get use to it. If he wanted a greater say just stand in dugout instead of barker 

I get him not wanting to discuss who's on and off sat down in the dug out, but I believe the rule is just that 2 can't be stood at the front of the technical area. No reason they both couldn't be stood forward of the bench though.

16 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The amount of times, after they realised what was going on, Sheff Utd and then Wigan played their way around it suggests we're not great at it. 

I agree, but it continues to baffle me that we think it is a press in the same way other teams do it. I would accept it is trying to keep a higher offensive line with more players committed to (lightly) squeezing the defence/midfield, but when teams have pressed us successfully in recent years they've been noticeably sharper and given us less time on the ball than we seem to give others. We close down an opponent but rarely seem to be trying to get the ball off him (i.e. a tackle). I would wonder if this is actually the tactic except that other teams press with tackling in mind too, and it seems from the footage over summer that we did actually practise this.

Is it just because we still don't have the players who can do this? Probably by Hourihane's career history, he is pressing more than he ever has, and as much as he possibly can!

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

I get him not wanting to discuss who's on and off sat down in the dug out, but I believe the rule is just that 2 can't be stood at the front of the technical area. No reason they both couldn't be stood forward of the bench though.

It's sounds a bit bloody pathetic to be honest - say what the team needs and get on with it. Deal with any consequences of upset player feelings afterwards for goodness sake - I thought that was what he was all about. It's easy when everyone loves each other but not so easy when there's mardiness around?! FFS.

23 hours ago, Curtains said:

Why the hell is Rooney not starting or coming on. 

looking forward to seeing him play in anger. He’s developing fast physically and it will be interesting to see how he’s come on past few months. If he nails down a starting place this season it’ll be great news for us. But it remains to be seen … 

12 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Liverpool, and Man City too, both press aggressively, but they do it selectively.  If they lose the ball, they press intensively for a short period to try and win it back, and if they can’t, they funnel back into a defensive shape. We don’t seem to want to do that, we press and press and press and press until we’re dead on our feet.  Liverpool and Man City press to allow them to get back to their main gameplan. The pressing *is* our main gameplan.

yes very hard to do it well esp if NML’s position is so fluid and do players at this level have the fitness? I fear it’ll work fine against port vale but that Portsmouth Bolton et all will play round it and hurt us on the break. Oh wigan too 

40 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

what makes you think that ? I think PE indicated we can 

Well the Knight and Bielik fees haven't been allocated to the transfer pot. 

Long term we may be able to use them for transfers, but it doesn't appear that this season will be one of them.