Michael Smith

DCFC1388

On 05/08/2023 at 10:18, Gerry Daly said:

A striker who is behind Gregory. Mouthwatering

Was thinking when watching him on Friday that I still wouldn’t want Gregory at derby, looked old and slow about three years ago!

smith, at least would be a focal point to aim all of these crosses at.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

If there is any truth in this it's unfathomable. Why on earth would they loan him to us? There is zero benefit to Wednesday doing that. When you're in a negotiation, you have to offer a sensible route through or there's not the slightest point talking. So, I hope the report is wrong. But even though it sounds impossible, really I just hope we bring an exciting striker in from left field and blow the league out of the water.

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If there is any truth in this it's unfathomable. Why on earth would they loan him to us? There is zero benefit to Wednesday doing that. When you're in a negotiation, you have to offer a sensible route through or there's not the slightest point talking. So, I hope the report is wrong. But even though it sounds impossible, really I just hope we bring an exciting striker in from left field and blow the league out of the water.

Agree with all of that, seems a bit like a waste of time for all parties concerned

assuming the report is true 

I would’ve assumed the loan would’ve had some kind of obligation to buy at the end of it, once out from under the EFL’s watchful eye? Not sure, but obviously that’s the only way this would’ve worked. 

Always thought it was unlikely, no surprise it hasn’t gone anywhere. Realistically, we need the recruitment team to pull a rabbit out of the hat for the striker position - we’re seemingly looking at former players of the club, the manager and those who are out contract/favour who have decent goal scoring records still available. We really need them to find something, perhaps a non-league player with potential or a league two player? A player from abroad, a player from an academy… something, anything. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Realistically, we need the recruitment team to pull a rabbit out of the hat for the striker position - we’re seemingly looking at former players of the club, the manager and those who are out contract/favour who have decent goal scoring records still available. We really need them to find something, perhaps a non-league player with potential or a league two player? A player from abroad, a player from an academy… something, anything.

Bit worried now that Warne is ruling out many for their poor personal traits? Nearly didn't sign Billy Big Bollox Waghorn! 😄 Most likely what happened in January last. 

I really did think we'd be able to attract more exciting than Wash.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bit worried now that Warne is ruling out many for their poor personal traits? Nearly didn't sign Billy Big Bollox Waghorn! 😄 Most likely what happened in January last. 

I really did think we'd be able to attract more exciting than Wash.

It's difficult, because Warne obviously has a strict recruitment policy and wants to make sure he has a tight knit group - not too dissimilar to Nigel Clough (although it's evident he was a more polarising character). 

It does sometimes prioritise personality over technical ability which is frustrating as a fan, but also has intangible benefits that we won't necessarily see from the outside looking in. Washington is obviously a character Warne really admirers and believes he's a good footballer - it's his call and his job on the line if it doesn't go to plan. 

Recruitment still lacks version, for me. Not to say they haven't signed good players, but they've gone down the route of proven performers - perhaps rolled the dice a little with Wilson but regardless he was a highly rated former youth international that had already put together a substantial body of work in his short career. He's the type of player that I had hope we would be looking at once the restrictions are lifted. They're not easy to find, but they're out there - history has proven that much time and time again!

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's difficult, because Warne obviously has a strict recruitment policy and wants to make sure he has a tight knit group - not too dissimilar to Nigel Clough (although it's evident he was a more polarising character). 

It does sometimes prioritise personality over technical ability which is frustrating as a fan, but also has intangible benefits that we won't necessarily see from the outside looking in. Washington is obviously a character Warne really admirers and believes he's a good footballer - it's his call and his job on the line if it doesn't go to plan. 

Recruitment still lacks version, for me. Not to say they haven't signed good players, but they've gone down the route of proven performers - perhaps rolled the dice a little with Wilson but regardless he was a highly rated former youth international that had already put together a substantial body of work in his short career. He's the type of player that I had hope we would be looking at once the restrictions are lifted. They're not easy to find, but they're out there - history has proven that much time and time again!

2 or 3 additions of a similar ilk to Wilson would be welcome. Not sure if they’re out there though, I wonder if there are many other 23/24 year olds surplus to requirements at championship clubs? 🤔 

The only way a loan will be entertained is if Smith rocks the boat and downs tools and even then I imagine Wednesday will wait until the last week of the window on the off chance another club makes a permanent bid.

Not being able to spend a transfer fee has killed us.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

The only way a loan will be entertained is if Smith rocks the boat and downs tools and even then I imagine Wednesday will wait until the last week of the window on the off chance another club makes a permanent bid.

Not being able to spend a transfer fee has killed us.

Actually paying transfer fees and big championship wages killed us, free transfers and a wage cap gives us the chance to build from from rubble

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Actually paying transfer fees and big championship wages killed us, free transfers and a wage cap gives us the chance to build from from rubble

We're currently building from stone bricks with huge cracks in them from a skip.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I mean you’re right in a literal sense. But my killing comment was referring to our inability to recruit well in the final third.

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

I just don't think we are serious enough about getting out of this division.

The club need to make a statement to the fans and buy this geezer instead of buggering about trying to get him on loan

The Club DO NOT need to make any statement to you, me or any other fans about player signings until they are actually signed by us.

4 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

You miss my point.  You have misconstrued my use of the word statement

Andyou miss the point of what we have been through in the past three years. It's not just about writing cheques and fans who think that they are being sold short by owners who don't go down that path really need to give their head a wobble.