Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Springett, by comparison, was just ineffective. Needed to bulk out a bit and wasn't quite ready yet for the senior game. Objectively a less developed player than Dobbin but far less frustrating because his shortcomings were consistent.

I agreed with all of your post but just highlighting this bit - might be the difference between “frustrating” (if only the player could do that bit as well as it seems he should be able to) and “irritating” (this player isn’t up to it - at least, not yet - so why is he in the team/squad?)

Not that Springett irritated me as such (and he had a role in the winner at Vale) but, as you suggest, he wasn’t particularly frustrating… he just wasn’t good enough.

I know there’s a lot of negative talk of Dobbin but frankly he’s what this squad is missing at the moment. Pace and the ability to beat a man. Yes his finishing was iffy, but find a perfect player who’s coming on loan to league one and you’ll struggle. He scared defenders and made things happen, the frustrating times is just a byproduct of the style of footballer he was. We need someone who possesses similar attributes to add to the squad. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

I know there’s a lot of negative talk of Dobbin but frankly he’s what this squad is missing at the moment. Pace and the ability to beat a man. Yes his finishing was iffy, but find a perfect player who’s coming on loan to league one and you’ll struggle. He scared defenders and made things happen, the frustrating times is just a byproduct of the style of footballer he was. We need someone who possesses similar attributes to add to the squad. 

Wilson? Ward? Didn't Dobbins 'wing play' just highlight our lack of wingbacks? I'd rather someone who knows where the back of the net is.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wilson? Ward? Didn't Dobbins 'wing play' just highlight our lack of wingbacks? I'd rather someone who knows where the back of the net is.

They’re not likely to beat a man. I’m not saying a winger, just someone with a lot of pace who possesses a drop of the shoulder to go by someone   

1 minute ago, Srg said:

They’re not likely to beat a man. I’m not saying a winger, just someone with a lot of pace who possesses a drop of the shoulder to go by someone   

Wilson looked pretty pacy. Why do they need to beat a man, Ward put in some great crosses without always doing that - if only there was always a canny goal-scorer in position?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wilson looked pretty pacy. Why do they need to beat a man, Ward put in some great crosses without always doing that - if only there was always a canny goal-scorer in position?

Because it’s about options. Currently we have limited pace in the attacking positions. Wilson/Ward aren’t attackers per se, and the only other with pace is NML but he’s a ball to feet player so he can square his man up. Just need someone who has it in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

most of the negative stuff comes from one poster.

Ok gang 

So no smart headline signing of amazing young gun with potential so we are stuck with the candid genuine  “Over 30’s local strikers”

who’s your available Mr Robinson at No 9 ? 

Waggy or Rhodes or AN Other ?  

9 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Rhodes deal WAS done last week the night before we announced Bradley Johnson had returned. Suppose there could be a thousand reasons why it still isn’t, but make of this what you will!

And yet I can only think of one reason?

8 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Rhodes deal WAS done last week the night before we announced Bradley Johnson had returned. Suppose there could be a thousand reasons why it still isn’t, but make of this what you will!

There's obviously a few clubs in for him.

Maybe something developed yesterday before their game hence why he was the only player not to play any minutes in Huddersfield's game yesterday 

Hearing the noise Warne’s made about the striker market’s, there’s been an inevitability this summer to us signing a Rhodes/Sharp type. 

Understand the calls for youth/pace but it doesn’t sound financially like we’re in a position to add that expensive skillset to the squad

Hence why we may have been priced out of Alfie May who IMO would have given us everything we need this season

The team is closer to suiting Warne now and it feels like we’ve built from the back - the three of Bradley, Cashin and Nelson is a defence that’s possibly the best in the league on paper, Fozzy and Rooney fantastic back up as well.

Looks like he’s knocked it out the park with the wing backs, the midfield is solid now Smith is playing his proper position and he has his hard working runners up top in Washington/Collins

We’re set up to get away with carrying a typical poacher/goalscorer, funnily enough Jordan Rhodes would have been the easy example from back in the day - could have a bad game but will often only need one chance

Ideally, I’d love a young, pacey striker from the lower leagues who just needs playing time in the right side to become that £10 million plus striker we’ve seen Peterborough/Burnley churn out and sell on for profit…

However, you can see the thinking on our budget we’ll settle for someone who simply takes their chances.

We’ll be solid, we’ll put good deliveries into the box every game and if you put in someone like Rhodes, he’ll get a solid goal return. 

Warne still wants a 10 and a LWB, if he can bring those in (loans?) and still add Rhodes - that’s decent business