Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

2 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Sorry to bring this up again but just stumbled across a stat here.

The average age of our outgoing players is 29.9 and the average age of incoming is 26.2 with two eldest players being 31. 

This is slightly higher than the average of L1 but I think, as per other comments, that's because we're trying to find players to get us up ASAP with the knowledge that if we go up, they'll be replaced as they're on short'ish term contracts or be good enough to stablise us in the Champ. Whereas the likes of Stevenage, who have a lower average age of incoming, are looking to stabilise in the L1 and develop their players over a number of years and get promoted that way. 

Also, according to the same source, no L1 has paid a transfer fee this season thus far.

Was more the striking options I meant in regards to this. All over 30, then linked with Rhodes 34, sharp 37, godden 31

think our defensive recruitment has been excellent so far.

2 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Also, according to the same source, no L1 has paid a transfer fee this season thus far.

That's definitely not right, don't think any huge money has changed hands but Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Wycombe have all spent some money up to this point. I think Kyle Joseph went to Blackpool for close to £1m (albeit undisclosed). 

9 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Sorry to bring this up again but just stumbled across a stat here.

The average age of our outgoing players is 29.9 and the average age of incoming is 26.2 with two eldest players being 31. 

This is slightly higher than the average of L1 but I think, as per other comments, that's because we're trying to find players to get us up ASAP with the knowledge that if we go up, they'll be replaced as they're on short'ish term contracts or be good enough to stablise us in the Champ. Whereas the likes of Stevenage, who have a lower average age of incoming, are looking to stabilise in the L1 and develop their players over a number of years and get promoted that way. 

Is that including loanees? As the average age of Davies, Stearman, Chester and McG must be nearly 50

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That's definitely not right, don't think any huge money has changed hands but Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Wycombe have all spent some money up to this point. I think Kyle Joseph went to Blackpool for close to £1m (albeit undisclosed). 

I've had a quick look around different sources and can't see anything confirmed hence why Transfermkt isn't stating any.

E.G. : https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/teams/uk/portsmouth/transfers

https://www.besoccer.com/team/transfers/bolton-wanderers-fc

4 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

I've had a quick look around different sources and can't see anything confirmed hence why Transfermkt isn't stating any.

E.G. : https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/teams/uk/portsmouth/transfers

https://www.besoccer.com/team/transfers/bolton-wanderers-fc

Yeah, they've just done '?' on transfers where it's not been a free transfer for all of them at the moment. We know Charlton didn't get Alfie May for nothing, for example, plus there's been plenty more. As I said, I think Blackpool fans were of the belief that Joseph cost them between £750k-1m but transfer fees in general aren't disclosed anymore. 

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

I don't think there's a L1 proven, free/cheap, 23-28 yo striker available.

So that's that.

Exactly. So having banked a bit of money last season from gates well in excess of the business plan, season ticket sales much higher than our one or two closest competitors and seval times higher than most, plus fees for Bielik and Knight, plus savings in wages on both its time to get our hand in our pockets and pay a fee or two. I want to see a couple of young Bobby Davison type speculative signings where we back the judgement of our scouting team. Please NOT any more over the hill players such as Sharpe or Rhodes where we look to squeeze the last few drops, or journeymen players like Collins and Washington. Lets have some IMAGINATION 

40 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Exactly. So having banked a bit of money last season from gates well in excess of the business plan, season ticket sales much higher than our one or two closest competitors and seval times higher than most, plus fees for Bielik and Knight, plus savings in wages on both its time to get our hand in our pockets and pay a fee or two. I want to see a couple of young Bobby Davison type speculative signings where we back the judgement of our scouting team. Please NOT any more over the hill players such as Sharpe or Rhodes where we look to squeeze the last few drops, or journeymen players like Collins and Washington. Lets have some IMAGINATION 

I'm with you on this one... try someone that we may be able to push to better things rather than someone whose already done the better things and is on the slide. I'd be after Luke Armstrong from Harrogate... with the right service (and regular game time), he could get 15-20 goals in this league... I'd even go down to the bookies and put money on it!

42 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'm glad we didn't pay that for Joseph! He did nowt in L1 last season.

He was moved around a little bit, played both left and right wing at times, and did get nine goals which isn't a bad return for a 21 year old. Oxford fans rate him as a footballer. It's a decent outlay but realistically that's the market for a young player with a bit of promise at this level. 

You compare the £750k-£1m for him, when Charlton want £5m+ for Leaburn. It's really not bad - the figure may be a top end fee too, including add-ons, clauses..etc. Smart signing to replace Jerry Yates. 

49 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We may know of such players but are their clubs willing to part with them for what we can afford ? 
Time yet in this window , a lot can change quickly and the Prem clubs will be thinking about loans soon. 

6 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'm with you on this one... try someone that we may be able to push to better things rather than someone whose already done the better things and is on the slide. I'd be after Luke Armstrong from Harrogate... with the right service (and regular game time), he could get 15-20 goals in this league... I'd even go down to the bookies and put money on it!

I think every single one of us would like the scouts to find a hidden youthful gem that no one else has spotted. Thing is it’s a bit like scratch cards unless the scouts have an inside track. Do Scouts still go to Grimley Moor Albion on a rainy Wednesday in November because they heard a whisper from their brother in laws best mate who’s the club steward ? 

Reckon this one will get over the line.

I don’t think this is a bad signing at all, because the striker market is limited especially in league one. If there’s one good striker, they’re wanted by everyone. It’s not ideal having another 30+ year old striker, but I guarantee he will score goals at this level.

25 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Reckon this one will get over the line.

I don’t think this is a bad signing at all, because the striker market is limited especially in league one. If there’s one good striker, they’re wanted by everyone. It’s not ideal having another 30+ year old striker, but I guarantee he will score goals at this level.

Didn’t realise Warney posted on here.