Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Good catch. Still doesn’t change the fact the top end of the pitch are verging on bed blockers. 

IF we sign Rhodes we’ll have 3 strikers in their early 30s, which isn’t ideal, but also not the end of the world.
I’ve long resigned myself to the fact we won’t see a player with the same touch of class as McGoldrick, so whoever comes in provided they stay fit and help Derby win I’ll be happy.

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I can only imagine that he will be our super sub option, coming on if we need a late goal. I can’t see that he offers us anything else.

I think this too. Warne is a very pragmatic coach. He isn’t overly interested in style. Keep it solid at the back. Ping the balls in well from wide positions. Win your battles in the box. If we still need a goal with 10 minutes to go, throw on someone who might finish. Percentage Paul. 

4 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Crap = 💩 (not very good)

Here’s some more analysis 

Rhodes does not compliment Washington and Collins it would be a terrible move and all we would be talking about every week is we desperately need a striker in January.

Bookmark or screenshot this 

IMG_8678.jpeg

There are many who probably think he wouldn't complement them as well as saying nice things about them! As I said,I'll go with whatever Warne decides to do.

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

IF we sign Rhodes we’ll have 3 strikers in their early 30s, which isn’t ideal, but also not the end of the world.
I’ve long resigned myself to the fact we won’t see a player with the same touch of class as McGoldrick, so whoever comes in provided they stay fit and help Derby win I’ll be happy.

McGoldrick was great on the ball, has quickness of thought and still a yard to go past someone where needed. Rhodes is none of that, his legs have gone more than Nugent. 

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think this too. Warne is a very pragmatic coach. He isn’t overly interested in style. Keep it solid at the back. Ping the balls in well from wide positions. Win your battles in the box. If we still need a goal with 10 minutes to go, throw on someone who might finish. Percentage Paul. 

Why would he drop down to league one from the championship to be a sub and play second fiddle to Collins and Washington though?  Very much doubt we are selling the super sub role to him.

5 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Connor Sammon I take everything I said back!

Pleeeaassssssseeee come back!

You’re talking about Rhodes as if he isn’t one of the most prolific strikers to ever play in the Football League. It’s ok if he’s not your type of striker, but I don’t think you can argue with his record. 

Just now, Srg said:

McGoldrick was great on the ball, has quickness of thought and still a yard to go past someone where needed. Rhodes is none of that, his legs have gone more than Nugent. 

I’m all too aware, that’s why I’m not comparing them and have accepted we are unlikely to see a McGoldrick type forward.
As yet it’s a rumour on Twitter given a little more credibility by Big Trav and his recent record. It’s interesting to see the reaction to Rhodes being linked compared to the reaction to Godden. Both played championship football most recently, Godden is 31 so no spring chicken himself, yet Rhodes is being dismissed by what seems a majority and plenty like the idea of Godden. Rhodes has the better overall goal record and has played at a higher level, he may still have something to offer if he does sign, he may not. The only way any of us get to know is if he does sign, either way it’s out of our control so I see no point getting wound up by it. If he signs and if he’s rubbish, maybe then I’ll complain. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You’re talking about Rhodes as if he isn’t one of the most prolific strikers to ever play in the Football League. It’s ok if he’s not your type of striker, but I don’t think you can argue with his record. 

I’d agree with you if it was 2016 but he’s not been anywhere near prolific since then.

13 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Why would he drop down to league one from the championship to be a sub and play second fiddle to Collins and Washington though?  Very much doubt we are selling the super sub role to him.

I agree. I think one of the reasons he's not been prolific is 1) the super sub thing and 2) the level. I think to be 1st choice at this level would be a good move for him. For us, who knows.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Rhodes is a fox in the box, we haven’t got a goal poacher in my opinion.

Remember Earnshaw being labelled a fox in the box once upon a time. My god he was more like a dead salmon far away from the box. Hope this fox is a different type if we sign him. 

3 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

I’d agree with you if it was 2016 but he’s not been anywhere near prolific since then.

His worst goal to minute ratio in a season was 290 - that’s still pretty good. As I said, it’s similar to what Sam Smith did last season at Cambridge in League One. He’s just not getting the minutes he once did: one because he is a luxury player where you’re going to have do a lot of work around him. Not many teams, given their situation, can afford that type of player. In a Derby team, in League One, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was to get 20-25 goals next season. Didn't we have the highest XG in the league last season, which we were miles off? A player like Rhodes probably corrects the balance a little. The two players behind him would have to do a lot of the work though. 

9 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

That won’t be the sell though. 2 year deal with decent wages, amongst a good group at a top club on the way up. He would be better used than I am suggesting - I agree - but I think Warne wants willing runners first 60/70 minutes and then game winning/saving options if needed. 

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

His worst goal to minute ratio in a season was 290 - that’s still pretty good. As I said, it’s similar to what Sam Smith did last season at Cambridge in League One. He’s just not getting the minutes he once did: one because he is a luxury player where you’re going to have do a lot of work around him. Not many teams, given their situation, can afford that type of player. In a Derby team, in League One, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was to get 20-25 goals next season. Didn't we have the highest XG in the league last season, which we were miles off? A player like Rhodes probably corrects the balance a little. The two players behind him would have to do a lot of the work though. 

I think you might need to change your username to Wildly Optimistic!

I don't actually disagree that he could potentially score a very good number of goals, especially with Warne's emphasis on getting the ball into the box quickly and often but If we play the way you're suggesting, building the team around Rhodes scoring goals, then we'll finish no higher than 10th.

You simply can't play that way nowadays without sacrificing the contribution of other players.  People have somehow convinced themselves that our problem last season was McGoldrick getting all of our chances and them needing to be spread around more - although funnily enough only once it was clear he was leaving - yet he created many of his own chances and plenty for others, heaven help us if we centre our entire team around Rhodes who offers nothing to the rest of the squad in return.

As a backup striker I can warm to the idea ever so slightly, as anything else...

Edited by Kokosnuss

As much as I think he’d do a good job for us and score goals, my main disappointment is that we’ll be spending money we’ve just got off selling knight and Bielik on an over 30 player with no sell on value.

Id much rather we invest in some youth who’s values will potentially increase. 

We can get a Lucas joao or assombalonga for free if we want an experienced player up top. No need to spend money on one. 

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Just been told we want him and have made contact with Hudds. A little bit disappointed to be honest. 

Edit: Making contact with a team doesn’t mean he’s coming, before there’s a meltdown😂

Must mean we have missed out on targets and going for plan D, desperation.

Rhodes doesn't fit Warnes style of player, the age profile we allegedly want and I'm sure the Oxford recruiter hasn't come in and said "I've found this player who you are going to love".

If it wasn't for David Clowes denying that Mel was involved somewhere, I'd be sure that Mel was involved somewhere.