Southend United

simmoram1995

Serious question are any of the board members of Gadsbys takeover on this forum if so would they be interested in buying Southend if I had the money i would. It breaks my heart seeing the desperate fans praying this morning on social media that their club survives 

15 hours ago, hiltonram said:

The governance of football really has to be looked at to stop this continually happening. How is the independent regulator getting on, are they making a difference?

We haven't got one yet!

The Government are still consulting on the proposals.

17 minutes ago, NottmRAM said:

birmingham, middlesbrough and wycombe should go through what we endured!

Middlesbrough did in the 80's.  Which makes them the worst s*** bags.  I'd add Coventry to my s*** list based on the same. Wycombe loved it as it gave their sad little club some relevance for 6 months.  Birmingham fans, in my experience, have a tendency to be dense and uncultured to the point of finding them pissing in each others gardens after a night out.  It's an affliction to be pitied.  I'm not sure why Villa fans haven't rounded them up and driven out.  They would be terrified of fire so it should be simple.

53 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Southend have had their winding up petition adjourned for 42 days. The club will be back in court on 23rd August.

This is the case, but can they pay it in 42 days' time? Will the National League allow them to start the season?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23650107.southend-united-given-42-day-adjournment-pay-off-tax-bill/

20 hours ago, hiltonram said:

The governance of football really has to be looked at to stop this continually happening. How is the independent regulator getting on, are they making a difference?

That bill hasn't gone through Parliament yet, has it? Is there an indy regulator yet?

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

That bill hasn't gone through Parliament yet, has it? Is there an indy regulator yet?

Apparently not, why does it take so long for the government to get this done when clubs are going out of business.

I noticed that the EFL bent over backwards to help Reading survive in the championship when they were telling Derby to sell everyone the other January and allowing Reading to bring in new players and now look Reading are in financial trouble. EFL not fit for purpose.

I will vote for the party that sorts out the governance of football. Does this party exist? Will it ever get sorted?

6 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Serious question are any of the board members of Gadsbys takeover on this forum if so would they be interested in buying Southend if I had the money i would. It breaks my heart seeing the desperate fans praying this morning on social media that their club survives 

Come on now dear, chin up 🤣

Lets be honest Southend doesn’t need a football club, or probably deserve one.  It’s got a pier and loads of amusement parks, and a bit of sand. If I ever went there, I would plump for two hours of that that rather than visit Roots Hall, as just the better of two evils.

Southend have hardly got any fans either. They all support West Ham, and the ones that don’t follow them are orange and just want to to get on reality TV.  Don’t lose any sleep. If the worst come to the worst they can always watch Gemma Collins or Jamie Oliver on their 75” tv screens.

18 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Come on now dear, chin up 🤣

Lets be honest Southend doesn’t need a football club, or probably deserve one.  It’s got a pier and loads of amusement parks, and a bit of sand. If I ever went there, I would plump for two hours of that that rather than visit Roots Hall, as just the better of two evils.

Southend have hardly got any fans either. They all support West Ham, and the ones that don’t follow them are orange and just want to to get on reality TV.  Don’t lose any sleep. If the worst come to the worst they can always watch Gemma Collins or Jamie Oliver on their 75” tv screens.

I went there last game of the season once and it was a great day out. Trying to get in the corporate hospitality at half time to get the fat bloke who had been gesticulating behind the glass in the first half and on the pitch at the final whistle.

Derby fans shocked in the chippy after that there was no mushy peas and the vinegar was white 😂

18 hours ago, hiltonram said:

Apparently not, why does it take so long for the government to get this done when clubs are going out of business.

I noticed that the EFL bent over backwards to help Reading survive in the championship when they were telling Derby to sell everyone the other January and allowing Reading to bring in new players and now look Reading are in financial trouble. EFL not fit for purpose.

I will vote for the party that sorts out the governance of football. Does this party exist? Will it ever get sorted?

Probably not.

23 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

I genuinely wouldn't wish it on anyone, and it's a constant reminder of how lucky we are.

I wouldn't wish the heartache or the stress on anyone, but the sense of humility and dose of realism that came from that experience I think 99% of football fans could do with. 

Last season, and this pre-season, have been a breath of fresh air for me, even despite missing out on the playoffs on the final game of the season. I'm just happy that the club exists and that I can still go and watch a game of football on a Saturday (or any other day) that I'm emotionally invested in. Had Derby gone bust then that would have been the end of football for me. so I'm relieved that I still care about the game (through Derby). 

Football, these days, in general, is predominantly a rat race. Everyone desperately chasing the dream of untold riches from the next league up and often going way beyond their means to try and get there. 

Hand in hand, it's the general distribution of wealth across the league pyramid, and a (extremely) poor governance model that purports to "protect" clubs that both drives extremely bad behaviours and tolerates them (perhaps even encouraging them). 

Football in many ways is better than it was in yesteryear, but in others, it's a million miles away from where it should (and needs) to be.