James Collins

Keepyuppy

At this level, he's ok but no more than that. Obviously he's scored a few of late and to be fair, is doing a decent job but let's not get over-excited - he misses plenty and can't win headers for toffee due to awful positioning and anticipation.

He prob will get 20 this season but he's playing plenty of games in a team challenging for the title (albeit with room for improvement) - I think I'd get 10 in this side with the chances we're creating.

I'm not slating the lad - just being realistic. He's a bog standard forward who misses quite a few and only gets the odd unexpected goal (e.g. the finish about is excellent). 

collins has won me over this season with his goals and work rate,i just wish he would stick to his task in the box,  keep off of the wings lookin for the ball,and cut out the needless fouls and offsidides

also got to give a shout out to his incredible fitness rate,must be the fittest player in the squad,and most durable

Edited by TINMANTED
text added

2 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

At this level, he's ok but no more than that. Obviously he's scored a few of late and to be fair, is doing a decent job but let's not get over-excited - he misses plenty and can't win headers for toffee due to awful positioning and anticipation.

He prob will get 20 this season but he's playing plenty of games in a team challenging for the title (albeit with room for improvement) - I think I'd get 10 in this side with the chances we're creating.

I'm not slating the lad - just being realistic. He's a bog standard forward who misses quite a few and only gets the odd unexpected goal (e.g. the finish about is excellent). 

Struggling with this one.

He will probably get 20 goals this season, but he's ok, no more than that? Literally every summer there is the demand for a 20 goal a season striker, then when we potentially have one, here we are.

Kinda is slating a 20 goal a season striker, calling them bog standard. He's only 3 goals off the top scorer in the league Devante Cole who has played 2 more games than him.

If Collins is as you say just ok and bog standard, how many goals would say a very good League 1 striker need to be scoring, even an excellent one?

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

collins has won me over this season with his goals and work rate,i just wish he would stick to his task in the box,  keep off of the wings lookin for the ball,and cut out the needless fouls and offsides,

Plus the desire to take throw ins 🤦‍♂️😂

5 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

I think your being a little harsh on him (although i agree on your point regards his heading), without him i think wede of struggled to be in the top six. Yes we need back up with Wash,JJ and Waggy always on the treatment table, but hes always available, works his socks off and has scored 18 goals so far. I don't think he misses anymore chances than anyone else. For me he has been one of the big plusses of the season so far.

22 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I think your being a little harsh on him (although i agree on your point regards his heading), without him i think wede of struggled to be in the top six. Yes we need back up with Wash,JJ and Waggy always on the treatment table, but hes always available, works his socks off and has scored 18 goals so far. I don't think he misses anymore chances than anyone else. For me he has been one of the big plusses of the season so far.

we need them gone,free up some money for a striker who can play more than half a dozen games a season

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

‘I’m not slating the lad’……..‘He’s a bog standard forward’……. 

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

He had one chance on Saturday. And buried it. 

4 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

On 28/01/2024 at 01:35, Anag Ram said:

Great goal today but where have the offsides come from all of a sudden?

Last few games it seems he has been caught quite a few times. Unlike him. Overeager to stay further forward?

He isn’t a fool, he’s instinctive and knows he lacks pace/acceleration. I think he’s gambling on that half stride as older strikers do ! Darren Bent anyone ? 

I want to take my hat off to Collo. What a trooper, real gutsy striker. A 6 yard box man who isn’t intimidated by anyone and has added some sound defensive headers in to the mix. As others have said, he lacked service and support early season but NML and Wilson are giving him ammo and he’s using it. Funny thing is that he gets written down as a bit lumpy and lacking finesse. True up to a point, His first touch isn’t great, he struggles to beat a man 1V1, but there’s a deftness sometimes, more than one neat back heel when we up the tempo. 

how many 20 goal strikers have we had recently ? Chrissy Martin, Steve Howard, Didsy. I think Collo might join them.

I remember a Journo (Times or Telegraph) saying “Steve Howard is an antediluvian striker with a shambling gait and right foot like a howiitzer” … Did ok for us. so is Collo. 

On 29/01/2024 at 09:45, David said:

Struggling with this one.

He will probably get 20 goals this season, but he's ok, no more than that? Literally every summer there is the demand for a 20 goal a season striker, then when we potentially have one, here we are.

Kinda is slating a 20 goal a season striker, calling them bog standard. He's only 3 goals off the top scorer in the league Devante Cole who has played 2 more games than him.

If Collins is as you say just ok and bog standard, how many goals would say a very good League 1 striker need to be scoring, even an excellent one?

Like McG who got 20+ for us the season before. And if we stay in League One and put another bog standard forward up front next season, he'll get 20+ in a season too. Which is kinda my point - Collins and McG have both had their best seasons ever* in this team. The common denominator is the team. Ergo, it's the team, not the player.

They're ok players - made to look better by having decent supply albeit in a team that's not quite gelled.

Based on what I've seen of Collins, he's ok at this level but let's not carried away over one good finish as he's missed loads - that's all I'm saying. But it's fine - you lot crack on making out Collins to be Didier Drogba. I'll stay over here in my reality corner.

*Admittedly, Collins had a decent scoring record in League One in a good Luton side previously but my point is based on what I've seen of his general play.

28 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Collins and McG have both had their best seasons ever* in this team. The common denominator is the team. Ergo, it's the team, not the player.

2018/19 Collins scored 25 goals at this level for Luton, Didzy's best season was likely 20/21 where he scored 8 in the PL, each goal there is worth 3/4 at this level. 

It's a bizarrely reductionist argument to try and discredit individual achievement. Rather we should be grateful to have had 2 players that are capable of hitting 20+ league goals a season? 

Edited by YorkshireRam

On 29/01/2024 at 09:45, David said:

Is there an argument to say that Collins scoring that many goals says more about the standard of opposition than his ability? After all, it's actually about 13 goals in the league I believe? 

Looking at the list of top scorers in League One this season, there's names in there even above Collins who have been either deemed surplus by Championship clubs or who have failed to do it in the league above time and time again.

He's done well this season, don't get me wrong. He's had a lot of opportunities to. But you would surely be concerned if we went into next season (lets say in the Championship) with him as our main no.9?

38 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

And missed how many in the last 2 seasons... Makes me laugh how fickle folk can be! He was roundly slated on here until recently. 

I know right! 18 lucky goals later and suddenly he's the league 1 Ronaldo. He's only scored more goals because his form has improved a lot. If it hadn't, he'd still be as shyte as last season, right?

50 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

And missed how many in the last 2 seasons... Makes me laugh how fickle folk can be! He was roundly slated on here until recently. 

You can only call it as you see it. Rather than some folk on here being fickle, maybe it’s his performance and goal contribution that’s changed this season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think he has always been a hard worker and didn’t deserve a lot of the criticism he received. Maybe this season he’s emerged from under the shadow of the phenomenon that was McGoldrick last year.

Reminds me (only a little though) of what we used to sing about Gary Teale “he used to be **ite but now he’s alright……” 🙂

Edited by Tamworthram

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is there an argument to say that Collins scoring that many goals says more about the standard of opposition than his ability? After all, it's actually about 13 goals in the league I believe? 

Looking at the list of top scorers in League One this season, there's names in there even above Collins who have been either deemed surplus by Championship clubs or who have failed to do it in the league above time and time again.

He's done well this season, don't get me wrong. He's had a lot of opportunities to. But you would surely be concerned if we went into next season (lets say in the Championship) with him as our main no.9?

I’m looking purely at League 1, will worry about the Championship once we’re there. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I’m looking purely at League 1, will worry about the Championship once we’re there. 

Fair enough - by that metric he is certainly more than "ok"

But I think I can assume that the majority on this forum would swap him for a Cole/Bishop/May/Ladapo/JCH if given the option. 

I like him a lot. Love his run rate. Love his effort. He bullies defenders which is great to see. I just don't think we should hang our hat on him.

17 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's still managed to score 7 goal contributions against top 8 sides (I expect to see Blackpool in the top 6 by the end of the season). He played for 484 minutes against the top 8 so far, so has averaged a very impressive 69 minutes per goal/assist against the top sides.