Kane Wilson - Signed on a 2 year deal

Kernow

Interesting that Bristol City were happy to let him go on a 'free' only one year into a three year deal, and following a first season where he only made five league appearances. Maybe the financial side was tied into the Knight deal in some way. If not, and he was simply being released for nothing with two years left on his contract, well that's just odd.

Good previous season with Forest Green, terrible last season, hopefully he's fully recovered and back on the up.

I wonder if FGR had a sell on clause for Wilson?

Perhaps this deal has been concocted so that they get nothing. We get Wilson for "nothing" with a zero base cost for Bristol City's sell on clause, they get Knight for a slightly lower price than otherwise would have been the case and with Knight then also having a lower base cost for any sell on clause that we will have on him.

I can only echo what everyone else has said.

23, no fee, 2022 L2 player of the season, reaale value, looks a right handful in attack. I'd love to see him come off the bench and run at a tired L1 left back! 

The quality of player we've had come in for no money down is very impressive. (obviously, we haven't played a game yet but, y'know....)

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Perhaps this deal has been concocted so that they get nothing. We get Wilson for "nothing" with a zero base cost for Bristol City's sell on clause, they get Knight for a slightly lower price than otherwise would have been the case and with Knight then also having a lower base cost for any sell on clause that we will have on him.

I hope we don't do such things anymore. Thats how you become unpopular in the game. I think that he has fallen out with Pearson who, as we know, is a 'my way or the highway' sort of guy 

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I hope we don't do such things anymore. Thats how you become unpopular in the game. I think that he has fallen out with Pearson who, as we know, is a 'my way or the highway' sort of guy 

It's not our concern, it's Bristol who would be the bad guys in that scenario.

FWIW, I don't think he's fallen out with Pearson. Pearson is just a dinosaur who likes a flat back 4 of defenders, and Wilson's biggest attribute is the opposite of defending. It was a bad fit from the start. Couple that with being out injured for 3 months last season and here we are.

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He was out of contract so moved on a free.  Not sure if any compensation was paid as he didn’t come through FGR’s youth system but there won’t be a sell-on clause.

20 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

He was out of contract so moved on a free.  Not sure if any compensation was paid as he didn’t come through FGR’s youth system but there won’t be a sell-on clause.

Pinched from elsewhere.

Bristol City had to pay £100,000 in compensation to Forest Green Rovers last summer, despite signing Wilson on a free transfer, and would be keen to at least recoup some money for the 23-year-old.

Wilson was limited to just seven matches in what seems to be his first and final year at Ashton Gate. He didn’t start any Championship games and only came on as a substitute. He suffered a knee injury in October which took months to recover from, but even after recovering from injury, he was excluded from the squad for the last six games of the season.

7 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere.

Bristol City had to pay £100,000 in compensation to Forest Green Rovers last summer, despite signing Wilson on a free transfer, and would be keen to at least recoup some money for the 23-year-old.

Wilson was limited to just seven matches in what seems to be his first and final year at Ashton Gate. He didn’t start any Championship games and only came on as a substitute. He suffered a knee injury in October which took months to recover from, but even after recovering from injury, he was excluded from the squad for the last six games of the season.

"Stop asking us to pay more money for Jason knight and we'll let you have him for nothing" seems to be the most logical thing that has happened here.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Interesting that Bristol City were happy to let him go on a 'free' only one year into a three year deal, and following a first season where he only made five league appearances. Maybe the financial side was tied into the Knight deal in some way. If not, and he was simply being released for nothing with two years left on his contract, well that's just odd.

Good previous season with Forest Green, terrible last season, hopefully he's fully recovered and back on the up.

Hopefully he does well with us but as it stands he has only really played in league two ( fourth division) and a few substitute appearances in the championship so there’s lots of room for development - if he fell out with Pearson it would be understandable as it’s an easy thing to do.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Not heard one mentioned but redefining transfer fees to reduce outlay definitely happens. Look at our own Christie/Riggott trick. Harsh on lower league teams though and I'd doubt DC would want to do anything the EFL would deem a bit dodgy.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Interesting that Bristol City were happy to let him go on a 'free' only one year into a three year deal

Not really, you know what a tool Pearson is. Although, I'm going to suggest we've just taken the last 2 years of his contract over. Wasn't going to play at Bristol, maybe wages/subsidy an issue elsewhere so we've just transferred the contract outright.