Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

A great win for the youngsters, but before anyone gets too carried away on the back of it, this was a comment on the Red Cafe forum when their team was announced:

Screenshot_20240302-080639-01.thumb.jpeg.e5135a4dfb4e001d7be4e9376e670e2e.jpeg

It seems they may have been prioritising their U18 game tonight.

Edited by Crewton

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

A great win for the youngsters, but before anyone gets too carried away on the back of it, this was a comment on the Red Cafe forum when their team was announced:

Screenshot_20240302-080639-01.thumb.jpeg.e5135a4dfb4e001d7be4e9376e670e2e.jpeg

It seems they may have been prioritising their U18 game tonight.

5 of their starting 11 are in their most used 11, including 3 of their back 4.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

5 of their starting 11 are in their most used 11, including 3 of their back 4.

Just passing on their opinion - they seemed to think it was an inferior and muddled selection.

Bucko and co doing some sterling work, it would appear. I wasn't overly enamoured when I heard he was taking over, but it seems I massively underestimated him and the rebuild has been as rapid as it's been impressive. Really quite excited by the U18s group too. We now find ourselves blessed with some serious talent again, so I just hope we can find a way to hang onto them long enough to get them contracted. Cruz Allen for instance, has been at the club since he was 10, but is on the radar of half the PL it would seem. Honestly not sure I could cope with the likes of Manure, Chelsea and Liverpool harvesting our best young players for buttons again 😔

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

How many did we throw into the team under cocu and Rooney who didn’t do well?

This is an excellent point… makes you think how much more league managers should probably trust youth

I even managed to dredge Kornell McDonald from my mind who’s now playing National League at 22. He didnt look out of place in the Championship if memory serves. There were loads who made their debuts during admin and I can’t think of one who was even remotely awful 

8 minutes ago, Jram said:

This is an excellent point… makes you think how much more league managers should probably trust youth

I even managed to dredge Kornell McDonald from my mind who’s now playing National League at 22. He didnt look out of place in the Championship if memory serves. There were loads who made their debuts during admin and I can’t think of one who was even remotely awful 

You're right, but they weren't playing in a team that were expected by the fanbase to challenge for promotion. Mistakes were forgiven (largely) and the fanbase didn't storm out in large numbers when the team went 2-1 down at home.

Port Vale had a 16 year old playing LB. I wonder what having their fans chanting "you're not fit to wear the shirt" at the team did for his development? Possibly character forming but only if you're a mentally strong person I would have thought.

Trusting youth is laudable and can bring great benefits provided the fans and the owner are chilled about results.