Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

11 goals/assists in 11 U18 league games this season and he's still only 16 (until tomorrow).

I think it's a really special crop of players and wouldn't be surprised if we challenge for the title next season. 9 of today's starters are only first year scholars. 

Suggests given tiger ages and inexperience, they are being coached well too  🐑 

23 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Cruz Allen looks very talented

Is it LIverpool, Man City, Villa or Brightons academy then.  A Cat 1 academy in League 1 is like inviting Great Whites in to watch seals swim. Better get him on for two minutes so they have to pay what they'll get back in a couple of years loans, before flogging him to West Brom or Southampton for 5 x the fee.

Time for an automatic 25% sell on and 50% of any loan fee if academies are going continue being worth the admission cost.

35 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Man Utd, Newcastle and Chelsea all interested.

Oh yes. 

4-6 million a year to run a Cat 1 .  We're probably running mid table on that.  Is it worth it without more protection.  You'll never get the best coaches either as they'll be wanting to see training through not stop it halfway.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24856491/manchester-united-chelsea-newcastle-derby-cruz-allen/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-newcastle-united-chelsea-28176484

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/transfer-news/cruz-allen-to-manchester-united-transfer-links-all-you-need-to-know-about-16-year-old-target/

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is there much we can do to stop them 'stepping in'?

Nope, other than offering him a pro deal meaning we'd get more for him. I hope he's had an offer put forward. He's just turned 17, so is able to sign one now - whether he'll accept it or not is another story, but I really hope he does.

My son asked me the other day which players we have sold that have annoyed me the most. I had to think about it for a bit. Looking back over the years, Archie Gemmill to Forest came to mind. I was sad to see Tommy Johnson go and really disappointed when we had to let Mark Wright and Dean Saunders go. But on balance they didn't upset and frustrate me as much as Tom Huddlestone and Omari Kellyman. There is nothing worse than being literally [mod removed] by a big club when we are on the floor as we are now. To see those players go on and flourish when we have had them taken off us for peanuts is much worse than losing a favourite senior player for a good fee 

Edited by David
Removed a word that can be seen as offensive

22 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

It's a talented group for sure. I wonder if any will be fast tracked into the first team squad over the next year or so? Often it's about physical development as much as footballing ability, so probably too early for some 16/17 year olds however talented they are.

Fast tracked into the first team...

Trying Not To Laugh GIF