Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Special thanks to Angie and others who keep us armchair academy fans well informed. Wouldn’t have a clue what was going on without you guys! 

@Ghost of Clough, @Jubbs, @Stuniverse@ExiledinDerby are the experts, I just go to the matches (when I can.) It’s harder to fit them in around all these extra games we play in League One! 

It's going to be a huge summer for the U21 side in particular - they must be confident in bringing in a ton of players given their almost complete exodus of the U21 side. Aghastie and Ibrahim, in particular, as those two (at least in the games I saw and followed) seemed to be somewhat competent.

There doesn't seem to be a scale back on our category one academy either, considering the investment it's no surprise we're the only League One side to take part. If we can use it for our advantage, great, but feel like this next season will be hugely important for the academy long-term. 

If we fail to win promotion, there is absolutely no way we can sustain a category one academy with a minimum investment of £3.5m(?) per annum without any real tangible benefits. It's easy when you're generating a nine figure TV revenue, not so easy when you only generate a seven one. 

Now that the player profiles have been updated on the official DCFC website with players released at all levels removed, a quick glance at the U21 Player Profiles shows how thin on the ground the U21 squad is currently.

Although that is without Callum Moore, Riley Moloney, Keilen Robinson and Carlos Richards who are still listed on the U18 Player Profiles but will step up to the U21s next season.

I’m not sure there will be that much budget to bring in U21 players this summer as, I suspect, budget will be prioritised for the first-team squad.

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Now that the player profiles have been updated on the official DCFC website with players released at all levels removed, a quick glance at the U21 Player Profiles shows how thin on the ground the U21 squad is currently.

Although that is without Callum Moore, Riley Moloney, Keilen Robinson and Carlos Richards who are still listed on the U18 Player Profiles but will step up to the U21s next season.

I’m not sure there will be that much budget to bring in U21 players this summer as, I suspect, budget will be prioritised for the first-team squad.

Oduroh is listed in the first team squad despite still being viewed as an U21 by Warne.

Moore, Moloney, Richards, will be stepping up after completing their scholarships.

Hawkins has been a regular all of last season despite only being a 1st year scholar.

Cox, KRobinson, Davidson, DBrown and Wheeldon had a taste of U21 football last season as 1st year scholsrs and will be looking to build on that.

I'm not expecting many signings, due to having an effective squad size of 17 prior to any being loaned out, and match day squads being boosted by a deeper first team (players needing minutes) and U18s squad members filling in when needed (Gill, McAndrew, etc).

Darren Wassall leaving suggests that there will be big changes within the academy next year. I expect this to be style of play, type of player and of course I think quite a lot of staff changes. 

19 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Darren Wassall leaving suggests that there will be big changes within the academy next year. I expect this to be style of play, type of player and of course I think quite a lot of staff changes. 

Interesting that the statement says the 'role of Academy Director is being restructured to Academy Manager', sounds like a downgrade to me, maybe why DW is off.

58 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

Interesting that the statement says the 'role of Academy Director is being restructured to Academy Manager', sounds like a downgrade to me, maybe why DW is off.

That bit does make sense to me. Darren used to coach under 23s when he was Academy Manager. He was made up to Director (was it when he stepped down from caretaker role for first team?) and Pat Lyons took over under 23s. It created an extra layer that we maybe don't actually need. 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

That bit does make sense to me. Darren used to coach under 23s when he was Academy Manager. He was made up to Director (was it when he stepped down from caretaker role for first team?) and Pat Lyons took over under 23s. It created an extra layer that we maybe don't actually need. 

Yes it was Angie, I’m guessing it was a bit of a sweetener as I think his wages remained too….

He built a great academy but things always change I just hope it remains a focus and is not cut to the bone to fund the first team which is personally a fear. 

I would expect Pat Lyons and some of the others to leave too. 

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Found this interesting, obviously you can debate he methodology and the results are not set in stone, but we do not rank as highly as I would have expected finishing 39th, with only Burnley and Stoke the other Cat 1 clubs below us.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/2021/22-academy-productivity-rankings-chelsea-top-for-first-time

image.thumb.png.ece4d2eb31c15de1cfa96df67f0149f5.png

Yeah quite surprised by that. Only one premier league player. Presumably Hughes. Then Hendrick, Whittaker, Bennett in the Championship? Not sure of the fourth.

In fairness, I’d expect us to go up that list once the U18 generation from 2019 come into their prime. It’s not out of the realms of possibility a lot of them will play the majority of their careers in the Prem/Champo. With Ebosele, Buchanan also playing in top leagues abroad. 

Sadly, it currently appears that generation may have been a one-off but hopefully we can continue to produce and the academy sides will be galvanised this summer 

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Found this interesting, obviously you can debate he methodology and the results are not set in stone, but we do not rank as highly as I would have expected finishing 39th, with only Burnley and Stoke the other Cat 1 clubs below us.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/2021/22-academy-productivity-rankings-chelsea-top-for-first-time

image.thumb.png.ece4d2eb31c15de1cfa96df67f0149f5.png

There are a few factors
1. It's weighted by division rather than pure numbers.
2. They split the points between the number of academies they've been in (not sure on age cut off)
3. Only English players are counted. This also excludes players who have switched allegiances. 
4. It ignores players who have moved abroad, even if playing in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, etc

Perhaps the biggest factor is the rankings are based on all player ages (even those in their 40s). However, our academy is immature in terms of production line. Between Huddlestone coming through 20 years ago and Vernam (now 26), I believe there was only Mutch (a few games for Crawley) and Hughes (Palace) who count.
Since then, we produced a high number of lower league ENGLISH players. In order of age since Vernam, Guy, Rawson, Bennett, Kellan Gordon, Lowe.

We're then into our promising group of graduates who ar emore likely to play PL football: Bird, Buchanan, Whittaker, Sibley, Delap, Gordon, etc.

It takes 10 years for a player to make it through the academy system, then another 15 years a club's productivity ranking to be fully mature. We have at least another 10 years to go to reach that stage.

Also worth noting that most of the Premier League teams will have several groups for kids at various age levels before they become first-year scholars.

I was with my youngest son (7 years old) at one of the Chelsea development team sessions the other week and he has a session with West Ham booked in for next month.

These teams have tons of kids at several bases and when they are old enough/good enough they go to the main academy. They are bound to get hold of the best players in a very densely populated area. 

I know I posted this in the 22/23 thread but I thought I'd post it again in the Academy Thread 23/24 for reference. I'm working on the U21 appearances and goals and will post that as well when I've finished it.

U18s - appearances and goals 2022/23 Season

Based on soccerway, cross-referenced with the Official Derby County website (where there was an U18 match report), these are the U18 appearances and goals stats for the 2022/23 Season as far as I can tell:

U18s_1.thumb.png.c46393b618179d118679b622b8f27a24.png

U18s_2.thumb.png.5035bc6d8d7c9d96ca2a6ad5f34f037f.png

U18s_3.thumb.png.20a549af98f0b0481c87ccf997e8f593.png

U21s - appearances and goals 2022/23 Season

Based on soccerway, cross-referenced with the Official Derby County website (where there was an U21 match report), these are the U21 appearances and goals stats for the 2022/23 Season as far as I can tell:

U21s_1.thumb.png.d15259a2ca6428b51c6931cf9ab643b4.png

U21s_2.thumb.png.70f2e4c1183182030eea15d71a94066e.png

U21s_3.thumb.png.6a83978704c0aa6f9741cf9bf0963d5b.png

U21s_4.thumb.png.c9de9cba811968e97fc49b549d38978a.png

Notes:

[1] In the penalty shootout against Alfreton Town, penalties were scored (5 out of 5) by:

1. Lo-Everton
  2. Cybulski
  3. Oseni
  4. Taylor-Hart
  5. Brown

[2] The unnamed trialist came on as an 82nd minute substitute for Ibrahim in the 1-2 defeat away at W.B.A. U21s on Friday 16th September 2022.

[3] Players still contracted to the club are in bold.

Edited by Stuniverse