Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Starting line up for the game.

Is anyone going (@angieram) and try and do a bit more digging on who this trialist is?

Sorry, didn't see this. I arrived late and didn't get a team-sheet but was lent one and @Ghost of Clough is right. Played in number 8 role until Robinson went off then dropped back to the more defensive role. Looked decent but not much understanding with rest of team, of course.

I thought we were a smidgeon unlucky not to get a draw at least. We peppered their goal second half and their goalie made some good saves. 

9 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Just seen that Coventry have signed one of the boys that Brighton nicked off us during admin. Could've been nice to reunite with hum.

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2024/march/transfer-kain-ryan-signs-for-coventry-city/

A really odd move in the end. Hardly played for their U18s in the season he joined them. A regular the following season (19 league apps out of 24). Then nothing for their U23s this season, but was given a 45 minute trial by Stoke in August (a game they lost 10-1).

From what I understand, Brighton released him in January.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A really odd move in the end. Hardly played for their U18s in the season he joined them. A regular the following season (19 league apps out of 24). Then nothing for their U23s this season, but was given a 45 minute trial by Stoke in August (a game they lost 10-1).

From what I understand, Brighton released him in January.

Was he actually any good/stand out for us, or did Brighton essentially just take a gamble on a cheap pick up due to our admin status? Then from there, like you say, it just hasn't worked out due to the skill level of the player.

8 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Was he actually any good/stand out for us, or did Brighton essentially just take a gamble on a cheap pick up due to our admin status? Then from there, like you say, it just hasn't worked out due to the skill level of the player.

Maybe it didn't work out as he's a young lad and too far from home, trial at Stoke, signs for Cov suggests he wants to be in the midlands perhaps

9 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Based on the very limited number of times I had seen him play , I thought he was the most promising CB to have come through our academy since the early/mid 00's. I thought he was a 'complete CB' - good on the ball, decent pace, and strong in the air.

27 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Maybe it didn't work out as he's a young lad and too far from home, trial at Stoke, signs for Cov suggests he wants to be in the midlands perhaps

Hopefully the boy does well then. Sad he couldn't have come back to Derby if he showed promise. Another one to get away it seems.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on the very limited number of times I had seen him play , I thought he was the most promising CB to have come through our academy since the early/mid 00's. I thought he was a 'complete CB' - good on the ball, decent pace, and strong in the air.

16 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Is tonight’s match not on the YouTube channel? It doesn’t say anything on the site?

Doesn't seem like it. They haven't even announced the lineup and kick off in 40 mins.

Team now announced:

Edited by Ghost of Clough

57 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Doesn't seem like it. They haven't even announced the lineup and kick off in 40 mins.

Team now announced:

Anyone know anything about the new lad on trial?