Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Sorry for my flippant remarks not holding up in a court of law. Doesn’t change the fact that every interview done since Salford has mentioned for a good portion of each about Forsyth and this testimonial. Seems to me that ticket sales may have been really poor and they’ve really laid it on that it’s not just a friendly. 

What is it that you’re objecting to? It IS his testimonial AND it’s a pre season game, ticket sales could be better, and his colleagues and team mates are looking to drum up as much interest in that as they can, I don’t see a problem with that. 

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Sorry for my flippant remarks not holding up in a court of law. Doesn’t change the fact that every interview done since Salford has mentioned for a good portion of each about Forsyth and this testimonial. Seems to me that ticket sales may have been really poor and they’ve really laid it on that it’s not just a friendly. 

I think the opposition could be better.  My experience of Stoke is that they view Derby as big game- not reciprocated.  Expect nobs a la Leicester last year.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Apology accepted. 😃

Seriously though, what did you expect prior to a friendly that is also Fozzy’s testimonial? If you weren’t really expecting anymore then why watch the pre-match interview? He is of course promoting the match but I didn’t recognise any “begging for people to go the game”.

On 20/07/2023 at 08:12, Caerphilly Ram said:

Depends on your definition, McGoldrick was all about that gentle touch, seeing possibilities others couldn’t and pushing the boundaries of enjoyment in a confident and reassured manner, whereas a lot of my experience is more in line with how we’ll play this year, direct, quick penetration without too much slow build up and an explosive finish.

Is this you…

D92F9870-A800-4A68-A301-4434E0FD05EE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Apology accepted. 😃

Seriously though, what did you expect prior to a friendly that is also Fozzy’s testimonial? If you weren’t really expecting anymore then why watch the pre-match interview? He is of course promoting the match but I didn’t recognise any “begging for people to go the game”.

There has been a lot of promotion going on around the game being Fozzys testimonial in fairness, it started from Hourihanes post match in Spain, and has been repeated at every opportunity since.

I think it's a poor decision from his testimonial committee, I'd have gone for an end of season knockabout between two Derby elevens, like Barker enjoyed, rather than a pre season game against the Chip Eaters.

I'd happily trot along to a fun evening involving the likes of Ward, Barker, Bucko, Thorne etc, than a pisspoor friendly against the uninspiring mediocre likes of Stoke City.

40 minutes ago, Srg said:

Is that a problem for you?

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

There has been a lot of promotion going on around the game being Fozzys testimonial in fairness, it started from Hourihanes post match in Spain, and has been repeated at every opportunity since.

I think it's a poor decision from his testimonial committee, I'd have gone for an end of season knockabout between two Derby elevens, like Barker enjoyed, rather than a pre season game against the Chip Eaters.

I'd happily trot along to a fun evening involving the likes of Ward, Barker, Bucko, Thorne etc, than a pisspoor friendly against the uninspiring mediocre likes of Stoke City.

I agree that there has been an excessive amount of promotion of the game but this interview isn’t on the list.

It’s an interview prior to a preseason friendly that is doubling as a testimonial. The interview is mostly “what a guy” Fozzy is (nothing unreasonable there), a tiny bit about the opposition, a comment about the guest players (without actually mentioning them) and a brief update on injuries.

I really can’t see what there is to criticise and to describe it as “begging for people to attend the game” just felt unnecessary and inappropriate IMO.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What is it that you’re objecting to? It IS his testimonial AND it’s a pre season game, ticket sales could be better, and his colleagues and team mates are looking to drum up as much interest in that as they can, I don’t see a problem with that. 

They can talk up the game as much as they want, no issue whatsoever. But when I want to hear what Warne has to say, or Bird, or Hamshaw, or whoever, and the 5min interview is 4:30 about Forsyth and it’s not titled as such, it feels like a waste of time when they’ve already said it in previous videos. 

Basically, the video titles are click bait. Call them something else and crack on. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

They can talk up the game as much as they want, no issue whatsoever. But when I want to hear what Warne has to say, or Bird, or Hamshaw, or whoever, and the 5min interview is 4:30 about Forsyth and it’s not titled as such, it feels like a waste of time when they’ve already said it in previous videos. 

Basically, the video titles are click bait. Call them something else and crack on. 

Fair enough. You’ll be pleased to know after tomorrow it’s more than likely to be “back to our usual programming”, though I suspect some of the post game content may continue to discuss Forsyth so be prepared for one or two more. 
The likelihood then of another Rams player getting a testimonial will be pretty low so shouldn’t be an issue for quite some time. 

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Shame that the weather is probability going to restrict the number of walks up 😞 

Dangerous inferno with people dropping like flies and wildfires running amok in jd sports ?

Edited by Archied

On 19/07/2023 at 21:40, DerbyAleMan said:

Another good work out, Ward with another great cross, Collins scoring again, a striker feeds off confidence so scoring again will do him good, Wildsmith with a good save, Bird looking good, just building nicely now for the 5th of August. Looking forward to saturday, to show my appreciation to Graig Forsyth, great player, great professional, and a loyal servant to the Rams. 

First game of the pre season for me today , 12pm in the merlin, for a few beers, 3PM game, 3.30pm , Collins scores again, 4,20pm, Ward gets his first goal in Derby colours, 5PM, in the pub again having a few beers. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

20 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know he’s not everyone’s idea of a good signing but I wouldn’t be against us signing Waghorn, provided it was a relatively short term deal and not on silly wages. He’d do a job at this level, wouldn’t be prolific but could chip in with 10 or so goals and the occasional rocket into row z 

He got his 30 mins.  

It's interesting that Warne has arranged friendlies that have got progressively 'harder', starting with NPL Matlock and ending with the Premier League Blades.

(yes I know Salford are in the league above Chesterfield but the trend is still upwards).

I wonder why he has chosen the final game to be one that (on paper) we should lose. He's into his psychology and all that, why would he want us to go into the season with a crushing defeat?

Not saying we won't give a good account of ourselves... UTR.

1 minute ago, MarsdenRam said:

I wonder why he has chosen the final game to be one that (on paper) we should lose. He's into his psychology and all that, why would he want us to go into the season with a crushing defeat?

I can’t say I remember every preseason we’ve ever had but this appears normal to me? 

Seem to remember us always having a curtain raiser fixture before we start. Leicester, Real Betis, Girona and Rangers to name a few recent ones. 

42 minutes ago, MarsdenRam said:

It's interesting that Warne has arranged friendlies that have got progressively 'harder', starting with NPL Matlock and ending with the Premier League Blades.

(yes I know Salford are in the league above Chesterfield but the trend is still upwards).

I doubt the psychology of “it’s a game we should lose” has ever entered PW’s head. Surely it’s just the logical progression of playing tougher and tougher (on paper) teams as we gear up for the new season, players get fitter, tactics are developed and players get used to playing with each other. I’m not sure there would be as much to be gained, from getting spanked by the likes of Sheffield United in the first game but them walloping Matlock in the final preseason.