Summer Rumour Mill

sage

With dietary changes, sports scientists and improvements in training and coaching methods, you could argue that a player's "prime" of being 29-31 has been extended to 33, or even later. It turns out if you're not pickling your liver every weekend and living off a diet of kebabs and cocaine, you can play for longer. Who knew?!

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I was under the impression that we could reinvest a percentage of fees from sales, so factor in Bielik's and Knights, before you even get on to their wages, i'm struggling to see how we couldn't afford them.

Ultimately, we have a bloke who spent 50 million quid on a relegated side which included 60% of solid debt. Then 3 or 4 million quid of players he thought he had, weaseled their way out the door.  Add 5-6 million of outstanding transfer fees on top.  I don't think we can't afford it, I think he' not planning on spending anything we don't bring in till some of that's paid back and those transfer fees are cleared from within.  Let's remember that his original plan was to buy the ground independently and rent it to someone who'd cleared the debt.  His interest was in the bit that had constant value not the bit that was Mels bar bill.

Your are correct however, that football is an entertainment business based on goals so a striker and pace is a must.  Eventually, if footfall drops by 3000 as we're piddling round in mid table and the extra cash available from playoffs/promotion passes by, he will lose more than he gains on a 2 million quid investment over a couple of years that may make the difference.