Summer Rumour Mill

sage

53 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Doesn’t mean anything, pretty sure Tim Sherwood to be our manager during the Mel years. 

I think a lot of people have us as favourites because we’re the biggest team in the league. But our forward line isn’t as good as last season where we finished 7th so I don’t see it unfortunately.

McG had a stellar year yes but come on, he was getting the supply and was definitely not prolific until last season. Collins wasn't good last season (I really, really didn't rate him) but has looked great in pre-season and Washington was a £2.5m player a few years ago so whilst I agree that'd it'd be great to have another decent striker, I think PW is trying to create a squad that goes up rather than be thin in some positions.

And it wasn't our front line that let us down last year (obvs), it was the defence and we're much, much stronger at the back now. 

IMO we're going up with the squad we have now and PW has said he wants 2 or 3 more so I'll take bets that we'll go up as Champions. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Why then do think the bookies have us clear favourites to win the league.

the rest of the league has so many unknowns and is so weak compared to last year. 

we should have done better than we did last year on paper, and we should be challenging for autos this year.

but we have to capitalise on a weak division this year otherwise this league will become fatiguing

2 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

What I don't get is our budget 

I know we have been saved from going under , but now we are out of administration 

We've sold knight for 2 million our season ticket sales must be 20,000 plus (who else can compete with that ) so surely we must be in a better position than most others in this league on at least a wage budget, the players gone must have counter balanced most of the players in 

Just saying .....Warne said last season that he was looking at getting in players at their peak age, but were looking at Waghorn Rhodes Sharp mentioned . 

I personally think we are lighter than last season especially in the key areas of midfield and upfront , granted the defence is improved 

But I think midfield is the biggest weakness .. I wonder if we could tempt Jeff Hendrick back on loan I know he's not peak age but very expierienced ?? , just one big gamble just might give us the edge 

Yeah I don’t really understand it either. Thought restrictions had lifted, agree that we currently seem a little weaker than last season.

hendrick would be a great signing.

hopefully the loan market opens up in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

This

Just to add, This "Derby are a massive club" comment by some, Players will only come if the Money suits their demands, Club size has didley squat to do with persuading some to sign for us, We may be able to command 30k fans for home game, We may have superb training facilities at Moor Farm, We may have a great stadium for league1...but this counts for nothing if another club will offer more money.

I think that it is unfair to lump all players in the category of only going where the highest wage is. I'm sure many players also consider location, the manager, ambition of the club, ground and training facilities, crowd, length of contract, potential bonuses, etc. If a player doesn't want to play for Derby because another team are prepared to pay 10 or 20% more, then he's not the kind of player that PW will want at the club.

5 hours ago, Mihangel said:

Just to offer a slightly different angle - Some comments need calling out as absurd, perhaps we could be more forensic and clinical about it but sometimes that's a bit difficult. The proliferation of ridiculous posts like the one in question make me want to avoid the board altogether. If I could be bothered to breakdown the post then I guess it would be thus but I think a STFU is more appropriate.

It's pretty obvious Warne couldn't attract a moth to a light - Obviously not true.

We're the biggest team in this League but have been reduced to scrabbling about in the dirt for castoffs. Not sure what biggest means or how it's relevant but we don't have the option to just splash money around because we are working to a very strict budget.

Pathetic state of affairs. No

Absolutly no issue with things being called out as long as its not in an insulting way. We are all have our opinions and yes some make me cringe. So yes call out and challenge but not with insults. I have been called out a few times for being correct, and don't have an issue with it. We all support the same team.

Have faith in Clowes and Warne. They know what they’re doing. I see the comparisons with Sunderland and Ipswich, they were both really badly run, Sunderland had some right cowboys in charge made some bad managerial appointments and spunked quite a bit of cash for not much success. Ipswich their owner gave all his money to Roy Keane and Paul Jewell in the championship then didn’t invest for years. I don’t see the same mistakes being made here. 

We’re not going to spend like Ipswich did, even as a well run club in the championship we lost £8m a year, not sure Clowes is going to put his money in to plug gaps so he will want to run at a break even model, the budget should be competitive enough for league one. 

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Washington and Mendez-Laing are both pacey forwards, so are you sure it's a "pacey forward" which we need?

I mean a younger nippy striker who can make things happen out of nothing and knows where the net is. I don't think NML or Washington are that kind of player. 

1 minute ago, Jayram said:

I mean a younger nippy striker who can make things happen out of nothing and knows where the net is. I don't think NML or Washington are that kind of player. 

Who do you think would fit that role? Are there any examples you can add into the conversation as suggestions?

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Who do you think would fit that role? Are there any examples you can add into the conversation as suggestions?

I am not employed by a football club as a scout or recruitment professional so I'll leave that to the people at DCFC who are. A fairly big deal was made of the chap we got from Oxford Utd who was supposed to be very good at this sort of thing, so maybe you should ask him.

Just now, Jayram said:

I am not employed by a football club as a scout or recruitment professional so I'll leave that to the people at DCFC who are. A fairly big deal was made of the chap we got from Oxford Utd who was supposed to be very good at this sort of thing, so maybe you should ask him.

Oh ok. Was just trying to expand the conversation is all. I keep seeing people questioning Warne and the recruitment staff for having not found this pacy, young forward. As yet I’ve not seen many viable options that fit within our apparent restrictions.
I thought Lee Bonis would be a shout when he was linked, but he signed a new deal. Sam Smith was a goalscorer at this level last year but not young and pacy as such, and joined Reading so that’s a moot point. Nombe has been suggested by a few but seems Exeter want big money for him. Alfie May is a talent at this level but wanted a move closer to family, and perhaps the fee involved was prohibitive too. Looking at non-league and league two’s top scorers last season we couldn’t afford Mullin or Langstaff it seems due to ongoing restrictions, and most of league two’s top scorers are older strikers that spending a fee on might be received as bad business. 

Perhaps a Dobbin type loan again might be a good shout, not sure which clubs have that ready made young striker to loan us that will guarantee goals and create moments out of nothing, using Dobbin as an example he wasn’t held in high regard by some fans. 
It’s almost as if we could do we collectively adjusting our expectations as the options available to us are currently scarce. 

7 minutes ago, Jayram said:

There must be at least 6 of them in this league for you to form your judgement of us struggling to place in the top 6 without a forward matching that description?

4 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah I don’t really understand it either. Thought restrictions had lifted, agree that we currently seem a little weaker than last season.

hendrick would be a great signing.

hopefully the loan market opens up in the next few weeks.

I think the restrictions went from £0 to say max spend £200-300k including wages hence why all have either been free or promotion bonuses you’re not going to build a  complete top squad with £200k. 

realistically though say the restrictions were removed what’s the max do you think clowes would spend in league 1? I’d imagine no more than £750k maybe 1m tops 

10 minutes ago, Jayram said:

There's yourself and a handful of other forum members whom are regular malcontents with their posts that our recruitment is garbage as so far we haven't been able to get in this mythical pacey, proven goalscorer whom is available on a free, whose wages matches our budget and that no other scout in the entire football league has heard about. 

Have you ever considered that there's a valid reason for this?

You and your cohorts just don't seem to want to move away from your stance. 

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Oh ok. Was just trying to expand the conversation is all. I keep seeing people questioning Warne and the recruitment staff for having not found this pacy, young forward. As yet I’ve not seen many viable options that fit within our apparent restrictions.
I thought Lee Bonis would be a shout when he was linked, but he signed a new deal. Sam Smith was a goalscorer at this level last year but not young and pacy as such, and joined Reading so that’s a moot point. Nombe has been suggested by a few but seems Exeter want big money for him. Alfie May is a talent at this level but wanted a move closer to family, and perhaps the fee involved was prohibitive too. Looking at non-league and league two’s top scorers last season we couldn’t afford Mullin or Langstaff it seems due to ongoing restrictions, and most of league two’s top scorers are older strikers that spending a fee on might be received as bad business. 

Perhaps a Dobbin type loan again might be a good shout, not sure which clubs have that ready made young striker to loan us that will guarantee goals and create moments out of nothing, using Dobbin as an example he wasn’t held in high regard by some fans. 
It’s almost as if we could do we collectively adjusting our expectations as the options available to us are currently scarce. 

I believe Portsmouth went in for Dobbin for this season but pulled out due to the cost in terms of loan fee and wages wanted combined. expect him loaned out on the last day of the window or played by Everton this season