Summer Rumour Mill

sage

8 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I agree. They are building a decent sqaud, hopefully we can beat Reading to Wing.

Their team is threadbare, they have slightly more players than we did last year before we signed players. They are making good signings but they need numbers and fast, and those players will not have played together or for the new manager. They will also be undercooked without a proper pre season and will have to deal with a new style of play.

Like us thats what happens when you don't pay your bills, over spend and get relegated.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They have made more attacking signings than we have, something that Warne highlighted as a priority.

They have signed the strike force of a team who narrowly avoided relegation and failed to score in a third of their games.

In a combined 99 appearances, they scored 19 between them last season.

I somehow don’t feel overly concerned that we have “missed out” on a couple of bang average third division strikers who appear to be near their ceiling.

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They have made more attacking signings than we have, something that Warne highlighted as a priority.

Oh I'm sure this place would be a twitch free zone if we'd had their summer, losing a dozen players including Ince & Joao, replaced by Knibbs & Smith, appointing Ruben Selles as manager when we thought we were getting Wilder, with an absent Chinese owner who only seems to pay the bills sporadically and still awaiting a points deduction for late payment of wages 🙄

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They have 13 senior players - I'm sure that 'decent team' is a subjective matter but I think the ability to fill the bench on a matchday might by a factor most of us would consider.

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

They have signed the strike force of a team who narrowly avoided relegation and failed to score in a third of their games.

In a combined 99 appearances, they scored 19 between them last season.

I somehow don’t feel overly concerned that we have “missed out” on a couple of bang average third division strikers who appear to be near their ceiling.

Without even checking, I'd imagine that 19 goals between the 2 players is possibly higher than the number of goals scored by our current forward players from last season combined? 

And what someone scored last season has no bearing on what will follow. Who would have thought McGoldrick would score so many. And when we signed Darren Bent, Ince, Weimann, etc, we had a forward line that scored something like 100 goals between them the previous season. It didn't help.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Oh I'm sure this place would be a twitch free zone if we'd had their summer, losing a dozen players including Ince & Joao, replaced by Knibbs & Smith, appointing Ruben Selles as manager when we thought we were getting Wilder, with an absent Chinese owner who only seems to pay the bills sporadically and still awaiting a points deduction for late payment of wages 🙄

And I bet you they finish above us

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm going to be blunt, it is absolutely mental to suggest Reading are having a good summer compared to us.

I shall be blunter..

No one suggested Reading are having a better summer than us, but thank you for your input.

They ARE doing better than us up front though.

According to Big Trav, Sam Smith was one of our targets and he ended up at Reading. I've seen many fans say they wanted Harvey Knibbs here and now all of he sudden he signs for Reading and fans say "well what did we want 2 players who finished 19th" or whatever it was.

I don't think Steve Howard finished too high with Luton before we signed him.

19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm going to be blunt, it is absolutely mental to suggest Reading are having a good summer compared to us.

No one has done that.

The point was they're making good signings, in fact, SO FAR of a better age profile for the future than we made LAST season despite their financial troubles and recent embargo. The comparison is between their summer this year and ours last year.

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Without even checking, I'd imagine that 19 goals between the 2 players is possibly higher than the number of goals scored by our current forward players from last season combined? 

And what someone scored last season has no bearing on what will follow. Who would have thought McGoldrick would score so many. And when we signed Darren Bent, Ince, Weimann, etc, we had a forward line that scored something like 100 goals between them the previous season. It didn't help.

Sam Smith scored more than any Plymouth Argyle player last year, yet Plymouth ended up scoring twice the number Cambridge did and finished about 60 points higher.

Obviously I’m not saying we’ll score twice as much as Reading, but the overall balance of the team clearly has a much bigger impact on the success of a side rather than individual stats. I know which squad I’d rather have right now out of us & Reading.

Also, your two paragraphs contradict each other. Comparing the goals from last season for Smith & Knibbs vs our strikers, then saying what someone scored last season has no bearing? You could say that Collins or Washington could easily out-score Smith then, as Washington & Collins have demonstrated they can score a good number of goals in the past, and last season has no bearing.

Edited by Kernow

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

No one has done that.

The point was they're making good signings, in fact, SO FAR of a better age profile for the future than we made LAST season despite their financial troubles and recent embargo. The comparison is between their summer this year and ours last year.

They have made 2 signings so far , let’s see who else they sign before making judgements . Whether the signings are any good , like ours we won’t know until the action starts . 

24 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I shall be blunter..

No one suggested Reading are having a better summer than us, but thank you for your input.

They ARE doing better than us up front though.

According to Big Trav, Sam Smith was one of our targets and he ended up at Reading. I've seen many fans say they wanted Harvey Knibbs here and now all of he sudden he signs for Reading and fans say "well what did we want 2 players who finished 19th" or whatever it was.

I don't think Steve Howard finished too high with Luton before we signed him.

Perhaps if you changed your username to BigTravIsGod we might have more luck? 

Think About It GIF by Identity

The issues we have (apart from a few exceptions) is trying to convince league 1 standard players to upsticks and move to Derby for wages in which won't differ too much from what they're currently on. Yeah it's nice to play in a big ground which is an attraction for some, but for players who know their talent ceiling and understand they might not get games once promoted, I genuinely think a lot more comes into play when deciding where these players/targets move to. Whether it's family reasons or they just can't be bothered to travel far from home for the type of money on the table, which is why I think a lot of players tend to make moves closer to home the lower down the leagues you go, especially the older players.

I could be way off with my opinion but I think it's just a coincidental pattern I've noticed in recent times since we've been in league 1. Because when we were in the champ and were throwing money around, even if players didn't want to move here, the money we offered made them say different.

So the point I'm making is, I think we have probably approached a bunch of targets from all over, but it's finding the ones who are more local and also capable of producing which is probably proving difficult.

6 minutes ago, SK47 said:

The issues we have (apart from a few exceptions) is trying to convince league 1 standard players to upsticks and move to Derby for wages in which won't differ too much from what they're currently on. Yeah it's nice to play in a big ground which is an attraction for some, but for players who know their talent ceiling and understand they might not get games once promoted, I genuinely think a lot more comes into play when deciding where these players/targets move to. Whether it's family reasons or they just can't be bothered to travel far from home for the type of money on the table, which is why I think a lot of players tend to make moves closer to home the lower down the leagues you go, especially the older players.

I could be way off with my opinion but I think it's just a coincidental pattern I've noticed in recent times since we've been in league 1. Because when we were in the champ and were throwing money around, even if players didn't want to move here, the money we offered made them say different.

So the point I'm making is, I think we have probably approached a bunch of targets from all over, but it's finding the ones who are more local and also capable of producing which is probably proving difficult.

How did Warne get players to move to Rotherham?! Maybe he's getting too particular about getting the 'right sort' of personality in?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Contradiction right there.  You seem to criticising our strikers and then go onto say that last season has no bearing on this.  Yet you’re already writing our strikers off based on last season.  You never know, Collins and Washington might get 20 each 😉.