Summer Rumour Mill

sage

23 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Just me that prefers Sibbo in LWB? Think he's 10x better with more space and time on the ball to really get going. Teams know to just stick tight to him when he's playing further up and that's when we saw him being anonymous. Similar to Trent Alexander-Arnold, Sibleys left foot can be lethal 

I honestly don’t know. Regardless of runs of games in the same position and the for and against moaners;  he has always seemed to lurch from being scarily dangerous to bland verging on anonymous but ….I think that’s part of the youth and development of a player of his type. One thing for sure, towards the end of last season he looked physically much stronger than 12 months before when he was getting knocked off the ball too easily. This is an important season for him wherever he plays. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

One thing for sure, towards the end of last season he looked physically much stronger than 12 months before when he was getting knocked off the ball too easily. This is an important season for him wherever he plays. 

...but little to no stronger on the ball than he looked another 12 months prior to that before Rooney tried to remove all aggression from his game.

5 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I'm still not a sibley fan, and he wouldn't get in my team, but if I had to play him it would be at left wing back. It's where he has played his best football for us.

His best football for us was that first spell when he broke through, basically playing as a split striker off a focal point up front.  You want him getting on the ball, running at defenders in the final third and getting shots off.  Not doing death-sprints up and down the wing, chasing opposing wingers and hugging the touchline to get crosses in.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

His best football for us was that first spell when he broke through, basically playing as a split striker off a focal point up front.  You want him getting on the ball, running at defenders in the final third and getting shots off.  Not doing death-sprints up and down the wing, chasing opposing wingers and hugging the touchline to get crosses in.

I have to disagree, he had a couple of eye catching displays but nothing more than that

43 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Sibley at LWB is a square peg round hole scenario that we should be trying to avoid. He can play there in an emergancy but he deserves to play in 1 of the 2 attacking positions behind the striker. He scores goals at both league 1 and champ level when played in the right position, and its clearly his favoured position too. 

If we get the 3 or 4 attacking players I hope we're after, Sibley will be lucky to make the bench. 

5 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I have to disagree, he had a couple of eye catching displays but nothing more than that

It was something like 3 or 4 good performances out of maybe 10, which is more than good enough as a youngster that had just broken though, in a COVID-interrupted season.  Then we never really used him like that again, he got stuck out wide or given the odd 20 minutes here or there.

He only played a tiny handful of games as an actual wingback last season, and was pretty terrible.  His best run last season was as a fullback, but he wasn't good enough defensively and teams were starting to exploit that, so we stopped using him there.

any chance we could try to sign somebody in the age profile of players we actually need? it was painfully obvious to everyone last season our squad was too old, so far we have brought 6 players between 28-31

you get out this division with a young energic team like plymouth & ipswich just have

5 minutes ago, alram said:

any chance we could try to sign somebody in the age profile of players we actually need? it was painfully obvious to everyone last season our squad was too old, so far we have brought 6 players between 28-31

you get out this division with a young energic team like plymouth & ipswich just have

Yes, there seems to be a very good chance, given that Kane Wilson is 23

6 minutes ago, alram said:

Or you could flip it the other way and say you get out of this division with the oldest squad in the league! (Wednesday).

You can have older players if they're capable. Whilst Fozzy, Davies, Steaman and co were all absolute heroes, they were all way past their peak and could barely run at times. 28-31 year old signings don't worry me at all as long as they're the right fit. 

13 minutes ago, alram said:

My Great Nephews 12 year old hasn't got a club ....shall I ring Warne  ?

44 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

This

He's scored some cracking goals then soon after dropped to left wing back or the bench, Being an emergency LWB/LB when he's best suited in his favoured position can only be a knock for his confidence, It'll be more of the same this season I'm afraid

20 minutes ago, alram said:

I would argue we already have a few of these already.

It was the age group we've signed that was a problem - we had lots of u23s, and then those over 33, with very little in the middle. I seem to recall Warne saying something to the same effect.

In the positions we've signed for 28-31 is on the edge of prime to decaying.

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

...but little to no stronger on the ball than he looked another 12 months prior to that before Rooney tried to remove all aggression from his game.

It’s a tricky one. Remove the aggression could mean two things. 
1) stops him being so positive, forward thinking and dynamic .. yup you have point

2) stop him making rash tackles and control his previous tendency to red mist. 

over to you coaches. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Or you could flip it the other way and say you get out of this division with the oldest squad in the league! (Wednesday).

You can have older players if they're capable. Whilst Fozzy, Davies, Steaman and co were all absolute heroes, they were all way past their peak and could barely run at times. 28-31 year old signings don't worry me at all as long as they're the right fit. 

Fair point but Fozzy still has some legs left, not a bullet train but able enough last season. 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s a tricky one. Remove the aggression could mean two things. 
1) stops him being so positive, forward thinking and dynamic .. yup you have point

2) stop him making rash tackles and control his previous tendency to red mist. 

over to you coaches. 

I remain of the opinion that point 2 is something a player will only truly learn through experience of making that mistake.

No amount of coaching or mentoring will have the same impact, won't teach the same lesson, as the very real consequences of you losing your head, letting your teammates down (you can bet your arse they'll let you know about it) and missing games (and your place in the team) through your own stupidity.

Sometimes you have to accept that a player carries this risk, there have been plenty over the years with far worse disciplinary records than Sibley (and his sole senior red card, which was rescinded) who've had successful careers left un-neutred, so to speak.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I honestly don’t know. Regardless of runs of games in the same position and the for and against moaners;  he has always seemed to lurch from being scarily dangerous to bland verging on anonymous but ….I think that’s part of the youth and development of a player of his type. One thing for sure, towards the end of last season he looked physically much stronger than 12 months before when he was getting knocked off the ball too easily. This is an important season for him wherever he plays. 

I preferred him at left back in a four. Lwb is really tough fitness wise, now sure sibley has the engine for it. At left back he had a winger in front to play off, also a lot of space to run into and then his crossing was generally excellent.

Lwb wise he seems to end up just going up and down and neither really attacking or defending.