Summer Rumour Mill

sage

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Christ, I do hope it's nothing to do with flint, he's a talentless clogger. You are making it up aren't you @Foreveram? The weather's fine and the wine is too, so maybe I'm missing the jokes here?

I’ve already put this out on here last week from a strong source, that the Flint deal is already done.

I’m only repeating what I was told, and I can’t guarantee anything.

On 03/06/2023 at 11:30, Srg said:

Not done super in depth research but I’m pretty sure Oxford picked up a few from Ireland in the tenure of our new head of recruitment. 

Indeed

- Gavin Whyte signed from Crusaders for less than £100k.
One season then bought for £2m by Cardiff. Just been released by them.

- Mark Sykes signed from Glenavon for a 'nominal fee'.
4 seasons, then ran his contract down and signed for Bristol City on a free. Regular in the Championship last season.

- Luke McNally signed from St Pat's Athletic for a 'five-figure fee with add ons".
Sold to Burnley 18months later for circa £2m. Spent second half of this season on loan at Coventry.

Joel Cooper from Linfield also but he had personal issues so barely played and was loan out a couple of times before moving back.

Two of the current squad were some of Thomas' final signings
Ed McGinty, a keeper signed from Sligo Rovers last summer
Stephan Negru signed in January from Shelbourne

Done quite well with players signed from Scottish teams also - Chris Cadden, Alex Gorrin, Marvin Johnson.

7 hours ago, Srg said:

I’d still be surprised/disappointed if we did end up signing Flint. 

Flint is absolutely fine at this level, he can dominate players due to his sheer size and power. A threat from set pieces too. 

No doubt there’s better out there, but as we’re likely in the market for three centre backs then I wouldn’t be against it. 

I’d like to think Michael Hector and/or Jordan Thorniley have been approached - I do believe those two in particular could be top players in this league and within our grasp.