Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

On that basis, should we be scouting players in National League North?

Should we not? Jamie Vardy turned out alright didn't he from Stocksbridge Parks Steels? There's gems everywhere. Plus, let's not forget, this is just on your assessment of Scottish football. 

Fundamentally, gems could be anywhere, and you shouldn't decide not to look on any arbitrary factor.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Should we not? Jamie Vardy turned out alright didn't he from Stocksbridge Parks Steels? There's gems everywhere. Plus, let's not forget, this is just on your assessment of Scottish football. 

Fundamentally, gems could be anywhere, and you shouldn't decide not to look on any arbitrary factor.

How would you rate the Scottish Championship?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How would you rate the Scottish Championship?

Again, think we've established that it doesn't actually matter. And if you are looking, why not look at someone who was rated as one of the best in the division and of an age where could get better?

But it's fine, I get it. If it was up to you, Ian Wright would have finished his career at Greenwich Borough because no one is capable of stepping up levels.

54 minutes ago, Srg said:

Again, think we've established that it doesn't actually matter. And if you are looking, why not look at someone who was rated as one of the best in the division and of an age where could get better?

But it's fine, I get it. If it was up to you, Ian Wright would have finished his career at Greenwich Borough because no one is capable of stepping up levels.

There are probably 7 or 8 players like Wrighty over the last 25 years, hopefully we can find the 1 in 500 when it actually comes off 🥳🍾🎁🎈

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

There are probably 7 or 8 players like Wrighty over the last 25 years, hopefully we can find the 1 in 500 when it actually comes off 🥳🍾🎁🎈

There are probably 7 or 8 players, at one time, playing non league football who could easily make the step up to our level or higher. The hardest thing is to identify these players which can take that step, by benefiting from a higher level of coaching and fitness.

Malcolm Christie did ok for a non league striker. Even Kelle Roos has made himself a good career. You could argue we've had more success buying from non league and from Ireland than we have from picking up released players from clubs higher up the pyramid.

Hell, I remember seeing Bryson playing for Clyde and thinking "there's a bargain there". If even I can spot a player up there (and my record of writing off players instantly is abysmal), then sending an analyst or scout up is surely worth the gamble. What's the downside?

12 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

Malcolm Christie did ok for a non league striker. Even Kelle Roos has made himself a good career. You could argue we've had more success buying from non league and from Ireland than we have from picking up released players from clubs higher up the pyramid.

Hell, I remember seeing Bryson playing for Clyde and thinking "there's a bargain there". If even I can spot a player up there (and my record of writing off players instantly is abysmal), then sending an analyst or scout up is surely worth the gamble. What's the downside?

Let’s remember Bryson came for a trial here and we didn’t sign him ! Only for Clough to bring him in later on 

1 minute ago, Donkey Derby said:

EFL 22/23 footballers who came from non league teams

Ethan pinnock

Dan Burn

Jarrod Bowen

Jamie Vardy

Max Kilman

Can swap Mpanzu with Vardy for next season too. 

They’re not a dime a dozen, but you should always look. 

39 minutes ago, Donkey Derby said:

EFL 22/23 footballers who came from non league teams

Ethan pinnock

Dan Burn

Jarrod Bowen

Jamie Vardy

Max Kilman

Which non league team did Dan Burn play for in his senior career, not that I am really bovered 😆

6 hours ago, Srg said:

This guy could be awful but… just seen Ryan Sweeney, centre back, 26, captain of title winning Dundee is leaving on a free. Was team of the year etc. Worth a look. 

Good squad player,  bet he flies. 

Bobby Thomas, thought he was good when he played against us for Bristol rovers and when I watched Barnsley second half of the season, 6 foot 2 centre back aged 22, in last year of his contract at Burnley where I can’t imagine he’ll have a look in if he was to stay. Might be cheap or available for loan ? Also scored 6 goals from centre back this year and very comfortable in a back three.

I've set up some indicators for wing backs and a player in League Two caught my eye - Remeao Hutton. 

I set these up based on indicators where you would expect wing backs to be strong: 

Total actions per 90, including their success % - ideally you're looking at someone with 60 actions per game, with above 60% success. 

Cross accuracy - above 30% accuracy
Duels - above 50% success
Losses - below 35% in own half, less than 12 a game. 
Recoveries - above 35% in opp half, more than 7 a game. 
Defensive duels - above 60% success
Offensive duels - above 40% success
Progressive Runs - above 1.5 a game
Passes to final third - above 6 and 60% accuracy
Passes to penalty area - above 3 and 40% accuracy

Hutton came out: 

Total Actions - 62.21 
Success - 61.6%
Crosses - 7.08 per 90
Success - 35.7%
Duels - 17.85 
Success - 51.1%
Losses - 11.57
Own Half - 21.5%
Recoveries- 6.53
Opp Half - 28.8%
Defensive Duels - 4.99
Success - 62.8%
Attacking Duels - 8.16
Success - 51.2%
Progressive Runs - 3.82 
Passes to Final Third - 5.18
Accuracy - 51.2%
Passes to Penalty Area - 6.56
Accuracy - 40.8% 

While he misses on a couple, he exceeds in a lot of them. I've never heard of him or seen him play, but worth keeping an eye on if he does make a move to a League One club this summer. 

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've set up some indicators for wing backs and a player in League Two caught my eye - Remeao Hutton. 

I set these up based on indicators where you would expect wing backs to be strong: 

Total actions per 90, including their success % - ideally you're looking at someone with 60 actions per game, with above 60% success. 

Hutton came out: 

Total Actions - 62.21 
Success - 61.6%
Crosses - 7.08 per 90
Success - 35.7%
Duels - 17.85 
Success - 51.1%
Losses - 11.57
Own Half - 21.5%
Recoveries- 6.53
Opp Half - 28.8%
Defensive Duels - 4.99
Success - 62.8%
Attacking Duels - 8.16
Success - 51.2%
Progressive Runs - 3.82 
Accuracy - 51.2%
Accuracy - 40.8% 

While he misses on a couple, he exceeds in a lot of them. I've never heard of him or seen him play, but worth keeping an eye on if he does make a move to a League One club this summer. 

Standard YouTube highlights package but definitely sounds (and looks) to have the required attributes.

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Hutton came out: 

Total Actions - 62.21 
Success - 61.6%
Crosses - 7.08 per 90
Success - 35.7%
Duels - 17.85 
Success - 51.1%
Losses - 11.57
Own Half - 21.5%
Recoveries- 6.53
Opp Half - 28.8%
Defensive Duels - 4.99
Success - 62.8%
Attacking Duels - 8.16
Success - 51.2%
Progressive Runs - 3.82 
Accuracy - 51.2%
Accuracy - 40.8% 

Putting the anal into analyst!