Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Good job of boiling down a large, sensible and reasoned post to one name. You've already lost.

I opened a reasonable debate about how you need to need to be very careful about revealing too much about what a person as an amateur psychologist as it can have repercussions.  You found it amusing.  There is clearly one loser here. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Consistently scored and assisted goals in the championship and league one, playing in midfield for a top 6 (horrible) championship side this season, managed by a player who knows a bit about playing in midfield. He combines goals and assists with being combative in midfield, he’s exactly the type of player we would need in the middle of the park to complement Bird/Knight/Hourihane.

A team is more than just the sum of its parts. Warne has been able to build sides capable of promotion from this league that have scored goals and been able to defend. Some of the players in those Warne sides have gone on to play well at other clubs. Your argument that he can’t find a player, especially now supported by a “recruitment expert” who found a number of gems for Oxford at this level just seems to ignore what facts are out there in favour of your dislike of Warne. 

I've seen no evidence thus far he can attract players outside a limited remit. Lets not forget his squads have also got relegated as well as got promoted. A recruitment expert can get someone in the door but he's got to sell it. I hope I'm wrong as I said 24 hrs ago.  None of that changes the fact Crooks is a filthy player who I would hate to see here.  There is a difference to being physical and being a disgrace.

16 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Have you seen a psychologist. It isn't that easy and it takes a long time to get to even see the right person.  I did it for 2 years.  There is absolutely no chance he knows what's going on in someone's head from a conversation once a week having meet them a few weeks before.  A pound shop psychologist who did a module as part of a Sports Science course is not a trained professional who can make such calls and anything private should be kept so regardless.  Bit like my 10 years semi pro footy and suddenly playing championship football.  I'd be ok tackling people but after 20 minutes I'd do something that made me look a t***.

Warne isn't his therapist 😂

He might have made the comment to show how much White cares- that he's not here just to maintain fitness but really cared about his involvement within the club during his stay. Who knows. What we do know is he knows those players and the psychology of the game better than any of us do- and because of that, benefit of the doubt is often, sensibly, awarded in his favour. 

And just to counteract the transfer point, Clough made some of our best signings in recent years AFTER he publicly came out and told Cywka to ''go back to wherever he came from'' which is undeniably worse than anything Warne has said... 

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've seen no evidence thus far he can attract players outside a limited remit. Lets not forget his squads have also got relegated as well as got promoted. A recruitment expert can get someone in the door but he's got to sell it. I hope I'm wrong as I said 24 hrs ago.  None of that changes the fact Crooks is a filthy player who I would hate to see here.  There is a difference to being physical and being a disgrace.

Ok, I’ve done my bit in looking to promote a bit of balance and reasoning into the conversation. You’ve got your views, fair enough. 

25 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

True about McGoldrick but, on the other hand, how many players with injury issues have we paid good money for over the years who have ended up being, well, almost permanently injured. We don't have a good track record in this... 

Agreed, but I doubt we will be spending any good money this summer so it’s about being as smart as possible - taking a risk on a known entity paid off in McGoldrick but didn’t in Chester. I’m glad we were open minded to go down that route rather than not and not have either. They didn’t cost us anything in terms of fees and the wages, due to the cap, were relatively quite low. 

I think any money spent will be towards league one or league two players progressing in their career. Free agents are more than likely to be players from higher divisions or this division that’s holding out for a better contract. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ok, I’ve done my bit in looking to promote a bit of balance and reasoning into the conversation. You’ve got your views, fair enough. 

Warne isn't the first manager at Derby I've not been enthused with.  Others might like him.  I wasn't overly keen on Davies but he dragged them over the line.  Clough was outspoken and probably wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but won a league title and promotion.  Whether I like him or not is irrelevant, it's his strengthening of the team and backing up the rhetoric with an end result that matters.  We'll find out over the next 12 months.

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Warne isn't his therapist 😂

He might have made the comment to show how much White cares- that he's not here just to maintain fitness but really cared about his involvement within the club during his stay. Who knows. What we do know is he knows those players and the psychology of the game better than any of us do- and because of that, benefit of the doubt is often, sensibly, awarded in his favour. 

And just to counteract the transfer point, Clough made some of our best signings in recent years AFTER he publicly came out and told Cywka to ''go back to wherever he came from'' which is undeniably worse than anything Warne has said... 

True.  Which is exactly my point.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Warne isn't the first manager at Derby I've not been enthused with.  Others might like him.  I wasn't overly keen on Davies but he dragged them over the line.  Clough was outspoken and probably wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but won a league title and promotion.  Whether I like him or not is irrelevant, it's his strengthening of the team and backing up the rhetoric with an end result that matters.  We'll find out over the next 12 months.

I'm with you (sorry 😄 ) on finding Warne's overly chummy persona a bit off-putting. When we got the first few interviews I was okay with it, but it never stops. I can see now why his management colleagues said he thinks he's funny but he's not. I thought the comments about White and what he'd said were a bit 'unhelpful'. Or at least I wasn't sure who they were meant to help out - White so the fans could see he cares or Warne so the fans could think 'yeah he sees White messed up and is dealing with it'? Lots of Warne's behaviour for me anyway comes across as (topical atm) 'very Billy'! 😄 Edit: lets hope he can build a team with the team commitment that Billy originally did.

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No, your point was that the way Warne publicly discusses players is causing damage. The burden of proof with a statement like that is on you, and you've provided precisely naff all to evidence that aspersion... Same goes with it negatively impacting our potential transfer business, I used the Clough comparison to show that could also be a wayward suggestion, yet you conveniently seemed to gloss over this...

You don't like Warne, essentially, and you're now catastrophising about all the damage you THINK he may cause, but stating it like fact. Until you provide substantiation it's just pessimistically negative opinion, that's all. 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

No, your point was that the way Warne publicly discusses players is causing damage. The burden of proof with a statement like that is on you, and you've provided precisely naff all to evidence that aspersion... Same goes with it negatively impacting our potential transfer business, I used the Clough comparison to show that could also be a wayward suggestion, yet you conveniently seemed to gloss over this...

You don't like Warne, essentially, and you're now catastrophising about all the damage you THINK he may cause, but stating it like fact. Until you provide substantiation it's just pessimistically negative opinion, that's all. 

Put it this way

Your in a working environment and your manager is  having weekly one to ones about issues.  You get upset and open up about an issue.  Next day at the team meeting you boss says.  'Harvey called me last night and was in floods of tears about a mistake they made'.  That wouldn't be a kick and the b******* and ensure you clam up at all.

As you were.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Put it this way

Your in a working environment and your manager is  having weekly one to ones about issues.  You get upset and open up about an issue.  Next day at the team meeting you boss says.  'Harvey called me last night and was in floods of tears about a mistake they made'.  That wouldn't be a kick and the b******* and ensure you clam up at all.

As you were.

Again, that’s not proving your point is it? It’s hypothetical. 
A counter to that is Warne is in the changing room with White and says “Harvey, what do you want me to say in the presser?” And white says “be honest with them boss, tell them I’m upset”

I’ve no issue with people having their opinions of Warne, we’re all entitled to them, but if you’re going to make statements as fact using that opinion then provide the evidence. There’s nothing from White or any of the squad from last season that I’ve seen to say they dislike Warne’s approach. It might be out there, if it is, help us see it so we can better understand your point of view. 

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Rubbish. He has never had money to spend. He has had to make do with what he can afford. You are trying to disguise your poorly hidden dislike as Warne as reasonable criticism which it isn't. 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Put it this way

As you were.

That's still not evidence... You're basically saying ''I wouldn't have liked to be talked about, the way Warne talked about White''... but you're not everyone, and not everyone will agree. Harvey might have received an outpouring of support from his teammates off the back of the comment once they realised he was feeling bad... WE DON'T KNOW.

You can't just go off and say it's bad management when you don't have the slightest clue how it's affecting the players though!

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Where's the hiding. ?

You are hiding it by pretending to discuss in good faith, the reality is that you are nitpicking using conjecture and presenting it as some kind of fact. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Again, that’s not proving your point is it? It’s hypothetical. 
A counter to that is Warne is in the changing room with White and says “Harvey, what do you want me to say in the presser?” And white says “be honest with them boss, tell them I’m upset”

I’ve no issue with people having their opinions of Warne, we’re all entitled to them, but if you’re going to make statements as fact using that opinion then provide the evidence. There’s nothing from White or any of the squad from last season that I’ve seen to say they dislike Warne’s approach. It might be out there, if it is, help us see it so we can better understand your point of view. 

It may be hypothetical as is is your analogy.  If I was putting a bet on, I think mine would be a more likely scenario for most.  You will rarely get players criticising managers whilst at a club or whilst playing.  You get that in books or on radio talk  shows when the career is done.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You are hiding it by pretending to discuss in good faith, the reality is that you are nitpicking using conjecture and presenting it as some kind of fact. 

I hope he proves me wrong as I want the club promoted.  I'm sure as a person he's probably very nice as a husband and dad.  As a manager he has verbal diarrhoea and he'll be judged on what happens this year.  

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I hope he proves me wrong as I want the club promoted.  I'm sure as a person he's probably very nice as a husband and dad.  As a manager he has verbal diarrhoea and he'll be judged on what happens this year.  

Judge him on what happens, not made up scenarios in your head.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Judge him on what happens, not made up scenarios in your head.

I am, we had some bad luck with decisions but also fell of a cliff for two months with some dreadful displays and lost a striker in January who was getting no game time.  We didn't replace him and used the wages to bring in two youngsters where we had cover.  Now our player of the season who Warne reliably told us in April would have no problem signing a new deal has disappeared and its June tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I am, we had some bad luck with decisions but also fell of a cliff for two months with some dreadful displays and lost a striker in January who was getting no game time.  We didn't replace him and used the wages to bring in two youngsters where we had cover.  Now our player of the season who Warne reliably told us in April would have no problem signing a new deal has disappeared and its June tomorrow.

Warne said in an April interview the intention was to keep McGoldrick and the club would try to do so, he also added;

"I don't see a problem, but with everything they are free agents and self-employed players who have to do what is right them and their families, so we will try to get there. He is at a stage now that this, or the next club will probably be his last club and he is entitled to do whatever he wants.”

There was no guarantee, there never is, McGoldrick will do what he feels is best and you don’t know what his thinking is currently or whether Warne has had an impact on that in a positive or negative way. He is also contracted until the 30th of June and has time to make his mind up. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There could be many factors involved in McGoldrick's decision. He may yet sign, he might not. Either way, we will never know. You are again filling in gaps with made up answers without any basis. That's the issue I'm taking.