Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

4 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Di'Shon Bernard (22), just announced he'll be leaving Man Utd as a free agent this summer, can play RB/CB so would be ideal at Right Centre back in a three, He is 6'2 with a good passing range also has good pace aswell as being physical,

He was on loan at Portsmouth for the second half of the season this year playing 10 games, but in those 10 games had very impressive numbers, which I've compared to our two main Centre backs this season in Cashin and Fozzy,

Bernard           Cashin            Fozzy

1. Successful tackles p90         -  0.98                1.17                  0.57                     
  2. Blocks p90                             - 0.56                 0.23                 0.15
  3. Clearance's p90                    - 4.19                  4.15                  4.70
  4. Headed Clearance's p90      - 2.65                 2.51                  2.47
  5. Interceptions p90                  - 2.79                 1.83                  1.05                   

Doesn't worry me to much how he has only 10 games to go off, as in 21/22 he played 28 games for hull in the championship and was well capable at that level, I think he'd be a great addition and ticks a lot of boxes for us.                                  

Am I missing something? I can’t believe Cashin only averaged 1 successful tackle per game and one block for every 4 games. Fozzy, needed to play 2 games on average in order to make one successful tackle and 7 games to make a block.

I can’t help but think all these stats produced are a load of nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Am I missing something? I can’t believe Cashin only averaged 1 successful tackle per game and one block for every 4 games. Fozzy, needed to play 2 games on average in order to make one successful tackle and 7 games to make a block.

I used Fotmob who I’m pretty sure use opta stats which are usually a very good source for that kind of thing.

IMG_1341.png

A number of good players will likely be available from Wigan very soon:

CB: Jack Whatmough - a regular at the heart of Wigan's defence for 2 seasons. Only 26 with his prime years ahead of him

LCB: Curtis Tilt - not exactly a position we need to fill unless Cashin is sold. However, would provide strong competition with Cashin and the starting CB.

RWB: Tendayi Darikwa - 2 goals and 5 assists in Wigan's promotion. Would be a risky signing and high wages for someone who's had only 1 season woth more than 2 goal contributions since 2015.

LWB: James McClean - Despite being 34, one thing you get from McClean is consistency. 27 goal contributions in 79 apps since joining Wigan 2 seasons ago. You'll struggle to find a wing back with better end product.

CM: Tom Naylor - another position we don't need to fill unless we have a few departures, but would add aerial ability to our midfield. Would also cover CB and RWB

CM: Max Power - same again regarding not needing to sign unless we sell. Would add more creativity to our midfield, pretty high defensive contribution, and covers RWB

RW: Callum Lang - a key part of Wigan's promotion with 15 goals and 7 assists. We desperately need goals from our attackers. Can also play CF.

CF: Will Keane - finally showing what he's capable of since joining Wigan 3 years ago. Very few better replacements for McGoldrick than this player.

Darikwa, McClean, Power and Tilt all out of contract this summer. The rest dependant on what Wigan end up doing but I imagine all will be free to leave.

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Per 90, Cashin made 1.9 tackles and 1.6 blocks. Forsyth, when starting at CB, made 1.1 tackles and 1.0 blocks

24 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I used Fotmob who I’m pretty sure use opta stats which are usually a very good source for that kind of thing.

IMG_1341.png

I’m not shooting the messenger but surely you’d agree these stats look insane. Based on those figures you’d wonder what Casin does all game and you wouldn’t consider him a worthwhile signing.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A number of good players will likely be available from Wigan very soon:

CB: Jack Whatmough - a regular at the heart of Wigan's defence for 2 seasons. Only 26 with his prime years ahead of him

LCB: Curtis Tilt - not exactly a position we need to fill unless Cashin is sold. However, would provide strong competition with Cashin and the starting CB.

RWB: Tendayi Darikwa - 2 goals and 5 assists in Wigan's promotion. Would be a risky signing and high wages for someone who's had only 1 season woth more than 2 goal contributions since 2015.

LWB: James McClean - Despite being 34, one thing you get from McClean is consistency. 27 goal contributions in 79 apps since joining Wigan 2 seasons ago. You'll struggle to find a wing back with better end product.

CM: Tom Naylor - another position we don't need to fill unless we have a few departures, but would add aerial ability to our midfield. Would also cover CB and RWB

CM: Max Power - same again regarding not needing to sign unless we sell. Would add more creativity to our midfield, pretty high defensive contribution, and covers RWB

RW: Callum Lang - a key part of Wigan's promotion with 15 goals and 7 assists. We desperately need goals from our attackers. Can also play CF.

CF: Will Keane - finally showing what he's capable of since joining Wigan 3 years ago. Very few better replacements for McGoldrick than this player.

Darikwa, McClean, Power and Tilt all out of contract this summer. The rest dependant on what Wigan end up doing but I imagine all will be free to leave.

I did wonder about the Wigan situation, it’s reaching a point when some players could tear up their contracts right? 

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What do they do all game😀

Play in a top 7 side against some, at times, shockingly poor opposition who've posed zero threat to our backline.

There will have been some games last season where Cashin literally didn't have to make a tackle all match, be that because the opposition carried zero threat that day, or they only really attacked down the opposite side of the pitch to him, or a number of other reasons.

Just because it sounds crazy, it doesn't mean it's not true.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Playing in a top 7 side against some, at times, shockingly poor opposition who've posed zero threat to our backline.

There will have been some games last season where Cashin literally didn't have to make a tackle all match, be that because the opposition carried zero threat that day, or they only really attacked down the opposite side of the pitch to him, or a number of other reasons.

And it’s for that reason all stat comparisons we’ve seen on here between players should be in context with the team they were in and what they were asked to do. 

23 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Play in a top 7 side against some, at times, shockingly poor opposition who've posed zero threat to our backline.

6 games. We only won 1 of them, but only conceded 6

Screenshot_20230612_220955_Chrome.jpg.b7044c1b1c1f906508cf7438b62bd35c.jpg

Also, in the 5 games where he made the most tackles (22 in total), we also only won 1 game, conceding 8 (7 in 2 games)

10 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Fair point but still an average of 1 per game sounds mad. In any event, it just goes to show how flawed the stats are. You need to be presented with the need and opportunity to tackle before you can successfully make one. The stats don’t prove this chap is better than Cashin or Fozzy. Same with goalkeepers. I bet there are keepers in the league that made more saves than Wildsmith (I can’t be bothered to check), but that was probably because they were kept busier.

29 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair point but still an average of 1 per game sounds mad. In any event, it just goes to show how flawed the stats are. You need to be presented with the need and opportunity to tackle before you can successfully make one. The stats don’t prove this chap is better than Cashin or Fozzy. Same with goalkeepers. I bet there are keepers in the league that made more saves than Wildsmith (I can’t be bothered to check), but that was probably because they were kept busier.

You’re right. Think it was @Ambitiouswho presented some stats on wingbacks, and whilst I do love a stat and it’s a good discussion point, without context they can only be so useful.

For example, if you’re comparing crosses per game, how useful is that if someone with a low amount is tactically not asked to chuck into the box because of the system and type of strikers in the team? Similarly, think it was Sean Clare who had high stats for losing the ball in his own half… now that never sounds good, but what if he was in a team where the wing back position was more defensive than some others and they spent a lot of games under pressure? Would therefore spend much more time in possession in his own half. Just food for thought. 

2 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I wonder if Pep would allow 19 year old Man City forward Carlos Borges (remember him from the hat trick in the Pappa Johns thingy) a season playing against the grown ups?

………………....well it is a Summer transfer suggestion. 😃

Jake Rooney is still having nightmares I expect.

2 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I wonder if Pep would allow 19 year old Man City forward Carlos Borges (remember him from the hat trick in the Pappa Johns thingy) a season playing against the grown ups?

………………....well it is a Summer transfer suggestion. 😃

Quite possibly, in league one, probably not.

2 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Is there a reason we always leave our business until the end of the window? id of thought having a team built/together earlier before the season would be a better idea? 

We will start to see tomorrow, when the window actually opens