Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

Cooper had another year left at millwall too. Millwall went through a stage of not stating how long contracts were for. People assumed he had a 3 year renewal but he has publicly said it was 4 years.

Vyner would be an excellent signing, assuming Warne is sticking with the back three. Fits perfectly on the right side of the three and can cover rwb if needed. Latiibeaudiere and Kalas would be good shouts but will probably get Championship deals. Sonny Bradley coming straight in as captain makes a great deal of sense to me. Without King Curt, we don't have a leader in the team and he'd fit the bill.

But then again, you could make a good case for us signing any defender on the market because we have one natural CB in the squad...

12 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

Vyner would be an excellent signing, assuming Warne is sticking with the back three. Fits perfectly on the right side of the three and can cover rwb if needed. Latiibeaudiere and Kalas would be good shouts but will probably get Championship deals. Sonny Bradley coming straight in as captain makes a great deal of sense to me. Without King Curt, we don't have a leader in the team and he'd fit the bill.

But then again, you could make a good case for us signing any defender on the market because we have one natural CB in the squad...

Excellent suggestion! If we go for an experienced CB like Sonny Bradley with Cashin LCB a RCB with a bit of pace would complement the back 3 perfectly. Fits the age profile too!

My gut feeling is that the type of pressure football Warne favours isn't going to entice any premier league clubs to let their little flowers come here and I'm not sure his demeanour is that attractive a pull to players who have other options.  This leaves him a scrap of paper in his back pocket with ex Rotherham players names on.  I wait to be astounded, in hope more than expectation.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My gut feeling is that the type of pressure football Warne favours isn't going to entice any premier league clubs to let their little flowers come here and I'm not sure his demeanour is that attractive a pull to players who have other options.  This leaves him a scrap of paper in his back pocket with ex Rotherham players names on.  I wait to be astounded, in hope more than expectation.

Regardless of his eventual contribution to our season we did sign a midfielder on loan in January from a Premier League club. And Warne has signed players from sides other than Rotherham when he was manager there. Players signing for the club won’t solely be about Warne, though he’ll play a large part in it all, there will be other factors considered by players joining permanently and any loans we may pursue.
You don’t like the man’s demeanour, fine, doesn’t mean other people in football won’t. Can’t we leave off the general sniping at Warne until the season has at least started? Or focus it specifically on things about last season you’d like to see improve?

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Regardless of his eventual contribution to our season we did sign a midfielder on loan in January from a Premier League club. And Warne has signed players from sides other than Rotherham when he was manager there. Players signing for the club won’t solely be about Warne, though he’ll play a large part in it all, there will be other factors considered by players joining permanently and any loans we may pursue.
You don’t like the man’s demeanour, fine, doesn’t mean other people in football won’t. Can’t we leave off the general sniping at Warne until the season has at least started? Or focus it specifically on things about last season you’d like to see improve?

My main consideration when taking a job is normally the manager.  The team can be good but the manager is at the top of the chain.  

Been fairly constant since January regarding the team.  We needed a striker with pace as an option but that didn't appear and we needed to stop flogging wide players as extra defenders.  So far I've seen nothing to suggest he has the right contacts or style of football to attract players with other options to the club other than those he knows, particularly if financial offers are better.  I'd liken him to John Beck for those who remember.  He had success based on sweat and that may be enough for this league but the outcome at the end is static.  It's not sniping, just as I see him.

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My main consideration when taking a job is normally the manager.  The team can be good but the manager is at the top of the chain.  

Been fairly constant since January regarding the team.  We needed a striker with pace as an option but that didn't appear and we needed to stop flogging wide players as extra defenders.  So far I've seen nothing to suggest he has the right contacts or style of football to attract players with other options to the club other than those he knows, particularly if financial offers are better.  I'd liken him to John Beck for those who remember.  He had success based on sweat and that may be enough for this league but the outcome at the end is static.  It's not sniping, just as I see him.

Your personal decisions when taking on a job may not equate to the same considerations made by people involved in football, it’s a relatively unique industry and you don’t tend to go out on loan in the vast majority of “normal jobs”. Clubs will send their players out on loan for a number of reasons, might be game time, might be to play a certain “brand” of football which I think is what you’re alluding to, might be to get used to playing in a more physical league to combine toughness with their existing silky skills and so on. 
Just seemed an odd comment to post in a thread which is meant for people to share and discuss transfer suggestions. There was no suggestion just comments that Warne won’t be able to attract loan players to the club, and yet Warne brought in loans from clubs in higher divisions in January. Plenty of discussion of Warne’s merits and faults in other threads, the failings of January have been well covered also, and his use of players in alternative positions to their apparent strengths. He now has the summer to shape the squad according to how he wants the team to play, if he finds the right players to win games and get us out of this league I’ll be happy. I’m optimistic about the summer and our recruitment as I see very little reason not to be at the moment and am content to give Warne until the transfer window closes and the season gets going before I confirm my judgement of our recruitment’s successes and failures.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Although they may not have been a great success, re-read the comments made by Springett and White when they signed on Loan. Warne certainly impressed them enough to sign for us when they had other options. Your opinions are purely guesswork.

14 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Wes Harding (RB/CB - 26) - played 46 games. decent age. Is he any good?
Matthew Olosunde (RB - 25) - From what I've been able to find he played 2 games in his first season at PNE and 1 game last. No thanks.
Tomas Kalas (CB - 29) - could be a good move although he will be outside of Warne's stated preferred age range
Kean Bryan (CB - 26) - another one who doesn't seem to have played much for 2 seasons.
Sam Byram (RB - 29) - just 15 games last season...
Ryan Manning (LB - 26) - played a full season. worth looking at
Joel Latibeaudiere (CB - 23) - 34 games last season, maybe worth a look
Jake Cooper (CB - 28) - Have Millwall not exercised the option? played almost every game, worth a look
Sonny Bradley (CB - 31) - only managed 21 games this season.
Morgan Fox (LB - 29) - played over 40 games, worth a look.

Zak Vyner (CB - 26) - 40+ appearances. worth a look

Callum Elder (LB - 28) - 31 apps. maybe?

Harlee Dean (CB - 31) - only 16 games for Brum. No.

Of those suggestions, Kalas is the only one I really know and he'd do a job for us. Several have played little to no football so shouldn't, IMO, be considered. Those with good playing records in terms of numbers of games could be worth a look but..... and this is the big question... do they feature on the list PW has given to the club's recruitment team? If they aren't on the list, they won't be coming.

Completely get your point, but by the very same token looking at players like Sonny Bradley and saying they only played X amount of games for a team who finished third in the championship and won promotion is disingenuous. 

By the same token, David McGoldrick played only 19 times for Sheffield United last season and scored just two goals. In fact, he didn’t make a single matchday squad in their last 18 games due to injuries and selection. 

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Although they may not have been a great success, re-read the comments made by Springett and White when they signed on Loan. Warne certainly impressed them enough to sign for us when they had other options. Your opinions are purely guesswork.

There is some guesswork but the bloke talks too much.  I can see that  White for example would have his form affected by his manager openly broadcasting that he rang him on the Saturday evening in tears after the Bristol Rovers game.  What 20 year old wants that sort of private conversation used as sound bite in an interview.  Who's going to tell him anything that may be bothering them when he does this.  

We have a player who seemed very settled here in McGoldrick.  Chance to play in front of a big crowd, loved by fans , end of career and rescued by a phone call last summer, lives a few miles from the ground and he has no agent.  He isn't snapping anyone's hand of too stay so he's clearly thinking about other things.  Our recruitment in January, even with limitations was abject and Warne himself stated one player at least was due to come and changed his mind.   An impressionable youngster from Norwich and a kid from Spurs who may buy some patter does not constitute a player whose been around with a decent championship or top end league 1 career with 3 more years in the legs who needs some convincing.  

Hope I'm wrong and a load of cloggers could quite easily get out of this league regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is some guesswork but the bloke talks too much.  I can see that  White for example would have his form affected by his manager openly broadcasting that he rang him on the Saturday evening in tears after the Bristol Rovers game.  What 20 year old wants that sort of private conversation used as sound bite in an interview.  Who's going to tell him anything that may be bothering them when he does this.  

We have a player who seemed very settled here in McGoldrick.  Chance to play in front of a big crowd, loved by fans , end of career and rescued by a phone call last summer, lives a few miles from the ground and he has no agent.  He isn't snapping anyone's hand of too stay so he's clearly thinking about other things.  Our recruitment in January, even with limitations was abject and Warne himself stated one player at least was due to come and changed his mind.   An impressionable youngster from Norwich and a kid from Spurs who may buy some patter does not constitute a player whose been around with a decent championship or top end league 1 career with 3 more years in the legs who needs some convincing.  

Hope I'm wrong and a load of cloggers could quite easily get out of this league regardless. 

I've said this before but it clearly needs reiterating.

It is possible, and frankly quite likely, that Paul Warne knows these players and exactly what might motivate them or indeed upset them much more than anyone on this forum. Warne, of all people, has done studies in psychology and is very into that side of the game and despite what some might say is a slightly Gervais-like demeanor, he's not actually daft.

Edited by Srg

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I've said this before but it clearly needs reiterating.

It is possible, and frankly quite likely, that Paul Warne knows these players and exactly what might motivate them or indeed upset them much more than anyone on this forum. Warne, of all people, has done studies in psychology and is very into that side of the game and despite what some might say is a slightly Gervais-like demeanor, he's not actually daft.

Have you seen a psychologist. It isn't that easy and it takes a long time to get to even see the right person.  I did it for 2 years.  There is absolutely no chance he knows what's going on in someone's head from a conversation once a week having meet them a few weeks before.  A pound shop psychologist who did a module as part of a Sports Science course is not a trained professional who can make such calls and anything private should be kept so regardless.  Bit like my 10 years semi pro footy and suddenly playing championship football.  I'd be ok tackling people but after 20 minutes I'd do something that made me look a t***.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You are again portraying your personal opinion of Warne as fact. You don’t like how much he talks, that’s your opinion, there’s no evidence you can offer that Warne’s style of management is damaging to his relationship with players.

You said he can’t attract loans of youngsters from prem clubs, people have pointed out he did and now you’re changing your statement to say it needs to be a player with experience in the championship and league one. I don’t know them all off the top of my head but if we look at his signings at Rotherham I wonder where they came from? 
You say McGoldrick was very settled here and imply the reason he isn’t signing again is Warne, yet Warne is the manager who played him for the majority of the season, there are interview quotes from both men that back up the positive experience of last season and little to nothing that suggests there is a problem between them. Only McGoldrick and the club know what’s taking the time for a decision to be made, could be wages, playing time, recruitment plans, style of play, wanting to play for Notts County before he retires etc etc. 

Finally your comment about cloggers, Warne didn’t recruit cloggers with his limited options in January. His Rotherham team wasn’t all cloggers, the likes of Wing, Barlaser, Ogbene, Wiles, Ladapo, Crooks could all play a little. 
Warne is by no means flawless, he’s got some things he needs to improve this season for us to be successful, none of that necessarily equates to the opinion you’re peddling as fact. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Completely get your point, but by the very same token looking at players like Sonny Bradley and saying they only played X amount of games for a team who finished third in the championship and won promotion is disingenuous. 

By the same token, David McGoldrick played only 19 times for Sheffield United last season and scored just two goals. In fact, he didn’t make a single matchday squad in their last 18 games due to injuries and selection. 

True about McGoldrick but, on the other hand, how many players with injury issues have we paid good money for over the years who have ended up being, well, almost permanently injured. We don't have a good track record in this... 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You are again portraying your personal opinion of Warne as fact. You don’t like how much he talks, that’s your opinion, there’s no evidence you can offer that Warne’s style of management is damaging to his relationship with players.

You said he can’t attract loans of youngsters from prem clubs, people have pointed out he did and now you’re changing your statement to say it needs to be a player with experience in the championship and league one. I don’t know them all off the top of my head but if we look at his signings at Rotherham I wonder where they came from? 
You say McGoldrick was very settled here and imply the reason he isn’t signing again is Warne, yet Warne is the manager who played him for the majority of the season, there are interview quotes from both men that back up the positive experience of last season and little to nothing that suggests there is a problem between them. Only McGoldrick and the club know what’s taking the time for a decision to be made, could be wages, playing time, recruitment plans, style of play, wanting to play for Notts County before he retires etc etc. 

Finally your comment about cloggers, Warne didn’t recruit cloggers with his limited options in January. His Rotherham team wasn’t all cloggers, the likes of Wing, Barlaser, Ogbene, Wiles, Ladapo, Crooks could all play a little. 
Warne is by no means flawless, he’s got some things he needs to improve this season for us to be successful, none of that necessarily equates to the opinion you’re peddling as fact. 

You don't think Crooks is a clogger.  He can't touch a ball without trying to break a leg.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You don't think Crooks is a clogger.  He can't touch a ball without trying to break a leg.

Consistently scored and assisted goals in the championship and league one, playing in midfield for a top 6 (horrible) championship side this season, managed by a player who knows a bit about playing in midfield. He combines goals and assists with being combative in midfield, he’s exactly the type of player we would need in the middle of the park to complement Bird/Knight/Hourihane.

A team is more than just the sum of its parts. Warne has been able to build sides capable of promotion from this league that have scored goals and been able to defend. Some of the players in those Warne sides have gone on to play well at other clubs. Your argument that he can’t find a player, especially now supported by a “recruitment expert” who found a number of gems for Oxford at this level just seems to ignore what facts are out there in favour of your dislike of Warne.