Derby County - (Ridiculously) Early Thoughts on 2023/24

Rampant

40 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I'm so fickle. Feel much better after yesterday with prospect of seeing how we do against southern-ish Reading, Orient, Northampton and Stevenage away next season. That, and Millwall's capitulation, has really helped my mood.

Great close-up of Bennett looking dejected at the end of the match. #schadenfreude

On 07/05/2023 at 19:14, B4ev6is said:

Warn needs at least 2 to 3 windows before he gets it were he wants it.

Actually Warne needs to get a competitive squad in place for an effective pre season. He's had plenty of time to observe and we are told that now have a very good head of recruitment. A successful season is all about getting a good start. The January transfer window is usually a waste of time and I believe Warne himself has eluded to that. 

41 minutes ago, europia said:

Actually Warne needs to get a competitive squad in place for an effective pre season. He's had plenty of time to observe and we are told that now have a very good head of recruitment. A successful season is all about getting a good start. The January transfer window is usually a waste of time and I believe Warne himself has eluded to that. 

But that's why he needs that time but in the end not getting those heads in costs us. But I see sence in not getting players in the sake of it.

What we know is that the restrictions will be loosened, to a point. We might not get free rein, but I’d imagine we will get enough going into next season to have the biggest budget in the league - providing Wednesday get promoted (of course).

Still, I would assume that we would be allowed to add an additional £4m to our wage bill (£12m which works out roughly 60% of our turnover as per league governance) along with a greater weekly wage (£12k increased to £15k max). I would also like to think we can reinvest funds made from player sales, as well as more freedom in the loan market. 

In truth, we don’t know how it will shake out but we do know that we are going to be afforded the opportunity to put together a larger, more complete side than we were able to do so this season. I anticipate more than 10 first team signings, with close to 30 players coming into the club to bolster our thin academy sides. I do believe that come next season, the Derby County first team, U21 and U18 sides will be a lot more competitive across the board. 

All this naturally brings expectation and Warne is going to have to work under that heavy burden. A finish in the playoffs next season, ultimately has to be deemed a failure. The standards need to be higher - we have to ensure promotion next season, not have a puncher’s chance of one. 

I think it's likely to be a tougher season than this season as we will lose alot of players, some through choice and some not with the EFL probably still imposing these ridiculous rules which are punishing the current regime and more importantly the fans for the misdemeanours and bad management of the Mel Morris regime. Perhaps the manager will be forced to keep players who are out of contract who he would have released under normal circumstsances because he knows his hands will still be largely tied in the financial stakes for transfer fees etc... There must be a high chance we will sell Knight and bird so we get a transfer fee before they run out of contract and will Mcgoldrick get an offer from the league above which he will find difficult to refuse after his great season , I would have thought that there must be a fairly high chance of this happening so if that nightmare does  happen where are the goals going to come from?  With all these potential factors I think it will be quite a tough season and we will likely only truly be able to return to proper normality the season after but hopefully I'm wrong and the EFL loosen the purse strings a little for us to trade effectively but looking at our past history with them is that really a likely outcome , I doubt it personally.

Edited by chelloram
Grammar

Assuming the squad isn't weakened by outgoings (which it might well be)...

1) A pacey, powerful, striker...plus a young understudy for the Osula bit-part role.

2) Two central defenders, preferably big, aggressive, and aerially dominant.

3) An attacking right full back.

4) Hayden Roberts on a free. Improving and could make a Champ player.

5) Lewis Dobbin back on loan. He's going to tear it up once the penny drops in front of goal.

6) Back-up keeper. McGee?

I reckon that's bare minimum, plus replacing sales, retaining McGoldrick if he fancies a last hurrah. I'd give Foz a season too.

Curtis, Stears and Chester have done IMO.

Collins I love for his enthusiasm, but he runs like he's paddling through the shallow end, he can't control a ball to feet, he can't beat a defender and he doesn't win masses in the air, he's the only on I'd try to move on, but then we'd need an extra forward option.

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We can’t pay many at that rate of pay 

I thought the cap was £5k pw and no transfer fees. I actually think that's ok - we'll be getting players who want to play for Derby, not just for £. 

If I was either a senior, elder pro or a promising youngster, would I want to play for Lincoln City for £7k pw or Derby County for £5k pw... I'd say a fair few would say Derby as a) their legacy b) much better chance (on paper) of going up. Obviously some are going to take the extra few quid (and you can't blame them) but I think the right sort chose us. 

There's also ego involved here - Hourihane, NML, etc still have their egos intact - yes they're in L1 but they're playing for Derby. That's definitely a factor. I think we're a good pull for a lot of players and there a lot on frees this year. I suspect PW has a number up his sleeve already.

On 09/05/2023 at 07:00, Needlesh said:

Assuming the squad isn't weakened by outgoings (which it might well be)...

1) A pacey, powerful, striker...plus a young understudy for the Osula bit-part role.

2) Two central defenders, preferably big, aggressive, and aerially dominant.

3) An attacking right full back.

4) Hayden Roberts on a free. Improving and could make a Champ player.

5) Lewis Dobbin back on loan. He's going to tear it up once the penny drops in front of goal.

6) Back-up keeper. McGee?

I reckon that's bare minimum, plus replacing sales, retaining McGoldrick if he fancies a last hurrah. I'd give Foz a season too.

Curtis, Stears and Chester have done IMO.

Collins I love for his enthusiasm, but he runs like he's paddling through the shallow end, he can't control a ball to feet, he can't beat a defender and he doesn't win masses in the air, he's the only on I'd try to move on, but then we'd need an extra forward option.

Lewis back on loan would be magical 🪄

I'd take the Dobster back in a heartbeat. In numerous games when we've been at our most toothless, he's has been the only threat. His finishing remains an area requiring some hard work on the training ground, but with normal improvement he will prove a cut above most of the current team. 

It's a shame some feel the need to go after the lad every time they can. I accept that in one case at least, the individual is just a bit needy and wanting attention, but it seems pretty unfair on a young and inexperienced player who always gives his all and one who actually shows a deal of promise.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

I like Dobbin, I'm not sure he will be back though, his current natural position may not suit our preferred system, and I cant see him as a 9 yet. If we get 3 loans in I can see centre forward, fullback and centre half, if a 4th maybe midfield (where I think we are fine, but we always seem to get loans in there).

34 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd take the Dobster back in a heartbeat. In numerous games when we've been at our most toothless, he's has been the only threat. His finishing remains an area requiring some hard work on the training ground, but with normal improvement he will prove a cut above most of the current team. 

It's a shame some feel the need to go after the lad every time they can. I accept that in one case at least, the individual is just a bit needy and wanting attention, but it seems pretty unfair on a young and inexperienced player who always gives his all and one who actually shows a deal of promise.

Time for your specsavers checks !!

On 09/05/2023 at 07:45, Raich Carter said:

I thought the cap was £5k pw and no transfer fees. I actually think that's ok - we'll be getting players who want to play for Derby, not just for £. 

If I was either a senior, elder pro or a promising youngster, would I want to play for Lincoln City for £7k pw or Derby County for £5k pw... I'd say a fair few would say Derby as a) their legacy b) much better chance (on paper) of going up. Obviously some are going to take the extra few quid (and you can't blame them) but I think the right sort chose us. 

There's also ego involved here - Hourihane, NML, etc still have their egos intact - yes they're in L1 but they're playing for Derby. That's definitely a factor. I think we're a good pull for a lot of players and there a lot on frees this year. I suspect PW has a number up his sleeve already.

The cap last season was £12k a week (including bonus) - £624k a year. I think the season before it was something like £4.5k on incoming players which saw a lot of transfers we lined up walk away. 

Last season wasn't so bad hence the signing of Hourihane, Chester, McGoldrick. We were competitive, but in free agency only. 

51 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd take him back, of course, in the hope that it all clicks for him. He wasn't a terrible loan player, but very typical of a talented footballer who is still insanely raw. He would make you sit up and laugh/cry at the same time. 

Some of this best games came when he was subbed on whilst we were winning and he stretched the play, forced them back. It's when he needed to do something with the ball that it all fell apart. 

19 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Time for your specsavers checks !!

I think general consensus is you may be the one who needs their eyes tested.
Dobbin had areas he needed to improve, what young player doesn’t, but no matter how much you personally dislike the bloke the history books will show he scored and assisted goals during his loan spell here. Contributions without which we’d have been worse off in the league. 
Good luck to the lad in whatever he does in his career, no doubt we’ll have a new scapegoat for you to target next year