Derby County - (Ridiculously) Early Thoughts on 2023/24

Rampant

What is the point of bringing back the players with which we have failed this season?  Hope to God Warne can recruit players with more end product than Dobbin or we've got no chance of promotion.

I don't particularly dislike Dobbin by the way I just think we need more effective players.  Not those with potential that might not be fulfilled for years.

9 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

What is the point of bringing back the players with which we have failed this season?  Hope to God Warne can recruit players with more end product than Dobbin or we've got no chance of promotion.

I don't particularly dislike Dobbin by the way I just think we need more effective players.  Not those with potential that might not be fulfilled for years.

Yes. If we have no ambition then get Dobbin back. But seriously think of loan players at clubs (whatever the league) who have made a difference. I watched Hourihane's goal for Villa that is a 'on this day' post on Villa's Insta and there was Abraham congratulating him. Think Bielik for Charlton. Etc...

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Some of this best games came when he was subbed on whilst we were winning and he stretched the play, forced them back. It's when he needed to do something with the ball that it all fell apart. 

Agree but he's had only 50 odd games of senior football and has a potentially very high ceiling. This is his first big gig and it's at a big club in front of big crowds, with big expectations. Moreover, shooting and passing technique under pressure can be improved upon with coaching and experience. The ability to leave a defender on his arse, or dust him for speed cannot. I'm backing him to have a decent career, though I concede the point is somewhat moot now that he's left the club. 

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Agree but he's had only 50 odd games of senior football and has a potentially very high ceiling. This is his first big gig and it's at a big club in front of big crowds, with big expectations. Moreover, shooting and passing technique under pressure can be improved upon with coaching and experience. The ability to leave a defender on his arse, or dust him for speed cannot. I'm backing him to have a decent career, though I concede the point is somewhat moot now that he's left the club. 

I often watch him in shooting practice at away games. Usually hits the net every time.

Match starts and you know what happens.....

You're right and if he can learn to handle that pressure he'll have a great career ahead of him.

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

I often watch him in shooting practice at away games. Usually hits the net every time.

Match starts and you know what happens.....

You're right and if he can learn to handle that pressure he'll have a great career ahead of him.

You could see how much he wanted it too. It was a bit heart breaking at times, as the kid is clearly overly hard on himself. I've frequently noted Didzy, big smile on his face, hands out, palms down as if to say, 'it's cool young'un, just take a breath'. All the while and after any error, the lad bounced back immediately and just kept trying, never hiding. It's a quality I really like in a young player and I think it's a shame we won't get to see how he looks with that season under his belt. That said, he's Everton's player not ours, so my sentimentality is likely misplaced.

On 07/05/2023 at 17:46, Tyler Durden said:

all those who are saying that we should have walked this league with the players we have need to stop glue sniffing for a while. 

Lots saying missing top 6 is failure. Not seen anyone saying what you claim, but happy to be corrected...