Derby County - (Ridiculously) Early Thoughts on 2023/24

Rampant

With apologies to those who would prefer time to digest today's bitter pill.

I just thought others may find the opportunity to put their immediate thoughts down to share among friends

I'll post mine over the next day or so and if the thread gains any kind of traction I'll update and summarise our prevalent thoughts and ideas at the end of each month during the close season.

Totally open-ended - Player incomings/outgoings, season tickets, clarity of ongoing financial (and other) restrictions, blue shorts with red numberings on shirt etc etc.

Nothings really changed. 

Regardless of whether we are in the Championship or League 1 we still need vital positions recruiting for in the summer - centre forward, central defence, a right back would be good, midfield etc.

All those who are saying that we should have walked this league with the players we have need to stop glue sniffing for a while. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Nothings really changed. 

Regardless of whether we are in the Championship or League 1 we still need vital positions recruiting for in the summer - centre forward, central defence, a right back would be good, midfield etc.

All those who are saying that we should have walked this league with the players we have need to stop glue sniffing for a while. 

Well mate we need a whole new defence appently heard today curtis davies is leaving to club all started Is appently going if he does he goes with my blessing but Craig Forsyth I think we could offer his player coaching role. I hope jasion knight is staying he was crying his eyes out and kissing ram badge on his shirt maybe he know this the end.

I hope cashin and selby stays I hope macgoldic signs a new deal but we do need more fire power I hope Robert's stays. And wildsmith too but I just hope no one comes in take him away best keeper since martpoom for me.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Well mate we need a whole new defence appently heard today curtis davies is leaving to club all started Is appently going if he does he goes with my blessing but Craig Forsyth I think we could offer his player coaching role. I hope jasion knight is staying he was crying his eyes out and kissing ram badge on his shirt maybe he know this the end.

I hope cashin and selby stays I hope macgoldic signs a new deal but we do need more fire power I hope Robert's stays. And wildsmith too but I just hope no one comes in take him away best keeper since martpoom for me.

Yer we need some new players B4 that's for real. I hope the ones you mentioned stay with us.

People can start slagging Warne after he's had a proper transfer window and got in the players he wants and results aren't where they should be.

Until then they need to wind their necks in.

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yer we need some new players B4 that's for real. I hope the ones you mentioned stay with us.

People can start slagging Warne after he's had a proper transfer window and got in the players he wants and results aren't where they should be.

Warn needs at least 2 to 3 windows before he gets it were he wants it.

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I’ll wind my neck in when he makes the most of what is at his disposal 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t blame him for today but it’s ridiculous to suggest that we can’t criticise him after the run of form that saw us slide from 7 points within the play offs to falling out of them. 

It isn’t entitled either to expect us to (with a squad that’s probably top 6 in terms of wage bill) to not go on such an awful run. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ll wind my neck in when he makes the most of what is at his disposal 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t blame him for today but it’s ridiculous to suggest that we can’t criticise him after the run of form that saw us slide from 7 points within the play offs to falling out of them. 

It isn’t entitled either to expect us to (with a squad that’s probably top 6 in terms of wage bill) to not go on such an awful run. 

I say he did best he could with the players he had just this tanks ran on empty mate. You could see the players were hurting like we were mate.

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I agree with you.

One thing, I don't see how we go from now to being better, if we can only sign free agents. Free agents are highly unlikely to change this squad and in any case I listed a lot of potential free agents and 1% seemed to get picked by other fans as being good enough for us. For me, that clearly shows that we can't build a strong enough team from free agents and loan signings.

In my opinion, We have one more years punishment from the efl, before we can go all out for a promotion push, due in part to us being allowed a transfer budget.

Pw can bring in some players this summer, ahead of him in the order of where players are going to go ...

1. Any club paying even a small fee gets the pick of the players;

2. Championship teams get priority;

3. League one will fight it out for what's left, but will need to offer particularly high salaries to fend of other clubs.

4. We have a longer time to prepare for the transfer window this time.

5. Pw went on record saying he only wants to sign players that are improvement to what we have now, plus I think I recall reading some where that he wants to sign players under 30.

Signing players under 30 means they will have more energy by the end of the season.

Many free agents are injury prone or are older than 30.

Players that are 32 years or older have little resale value.

Loan signings are difficult to predict, how good they will be.

Edited by Oldben
Addee more content

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Your petulant outbursts since full-time have brightened my day a little. Keep it up 😆

I actually wasn't at the game neither did I watch it.

I read the predictable aftermath on here after I caught up with what happened this afternoon on the forum.

Everything else really is inconsequential.

Another rebuild.

Wouldn't be against getting Hourihane off the wage bill and go for Cameron Branningan.

Better wide players, more attacking options, younger defence to partner Cashin...

Keep Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Mcgoldrick..

The rest I wouldn't be arsed about leaving.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

I agree with you.

One thing, I don't see how we go from now to being better, if we can only sign free agents. Free agents are highly unlikely to change this squad and in any case I listed a lot of potential free agents and 1% seemed to get picked by other fans as being good enough for us. For me, that clearly shows that we can't build a strong enough team from free agents and loan signings.

In my opinion, We have one more years punishment from the efl, before we can go all out for a promotion push, due in part to us being allowed a transfer budget.

Pw can bring in some players this summer, ahead of him in the order of where players are going to go ...

1. Any club paying even a small fee gets the pick of the players;

2. Championship teams get priority;

3. League one will fight it out for what's left, but will need to offer particularly high salaries to fend of other clubs.

4. We have a longer time to prepare for the transfer window this time.

5. Pw went on record saying he only wants to sign players that are improvement to what we have now, plus I think I recall reading some where that he wants to sign players under 30.

Signing players under 30 means they will have more energy by the end of the season.

Many free agents are injury prone or are older than 30.

Players that are 32 years or older have little resale value.

Loan signings are difficult to predict, how good they will be.

I fear you are right Odben.

Unless the efl loosen their grip, we'll struggle next year. This year's unbalanced squad will deteriorate. Any of our older players still here next year will be a year older and much as it pains me to say, Bird and Knight deserve to play higher up the league.

I hope Cashin stays, but I can see offers coming in for him.

One thing I don't want to see is any more Premier League loanees. I'd much rather look for out of contract Division One or Division Two players that fit Warne's player profile, young, athletic, and hopefully with a point to prove. They will also know the League, which I believe is very important.

3 hours ago, Rampant said:

With apologies to those who would prefer time to digest today's bitter pill.

I just thought others may find the opportunity to put their immediate thoughts down to share among friends

I'll post mine over the next day or so and if the thread gains any kind of traction I'll update and summarise our prevalent thoughts and ideas at the end of each month during the close season.

Totally open-ended - Player incomings/outgoings, season tickets, clarity of ongoing financial (and other) restrictions, blue shorts with red numberings on shirt etc etc.

I’d like to think the staff at the club will process this disappointment promptly and move onto preparing for next season. My preferred list of priorities as of today would be something like;

1) Knowing which league we’re in next season and the financial situation that the senior figures at the club will speak with the EFL as soon as possible to agree whatever amendments they can to the business plan.

2) Get on with shaping the squad part 1 - extend the contracts of those who Warne wants to stay and confirm the departures of whoever is leaving on a free. I suspect we’ll try to re-sign McGoldrick and maybe Forsyth, can see Stearman retiring as a player, Curtis moving on either retiring or a season at Leyton Orient. We may end up selling one, some or all of Knight, Sibley, Bird, Cashin… provided there is interest in them and I fully expect Bielik will go.

3) Get on with shaping the squad part 2 - Sign Roberts and McGee on frees. Roberts has done well and is a good option (provided Brighton don’t offer an extension and he wants to stay). McGee hasn’t had much to do but based on his performances for FGR he is capable at this level and an able deputy for Wildsmith, gives some continuity in that position and would be relatively cheap wages I suspect.

4) Get on with shaping the squad part 3 - We’re led to believe from comments in the DET that some conversations about recruitment have already been happening with agents invited to attend training, let’s get some of those deals (whoever they are) over the line nice and early.

5) Season tickets and that

6) Sexy new kit announced

7) pre season tour of South Wales taking in Newport, Cardiff and Swansea for my own personal convenience.

That’s all I’ve got so far