We've got the best pitch in League One

Gaspode

Remember how awful the state of the pitch was during administration? Just another small indicator of how much of a mess we were left in by our previous custodian.

Things like paying staff to maintain the pitch isn’t really something that’s thought about in football, but is just another thing that highlights the difference between an owner that cares and one that doesn’t.

59 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Remember how awful the state of the pitch was during administration? Just another small indicator of how much of a mess we were left in by our previous custodian.

Things like paying staff to maintain the pitch isn’t really something that’s thought about in football, but is just another thing that highlights the difference between an owner that cares and one that doesn’t.

I seem to remember it really going downhill during covid. Coinciding with an utterly joyless period of supporting the club. 

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I seem to remember it really going downhill during covid. Coinciding with an utterly joyless period of supporting the club. 

It probably seems very insignificant. A few years ago I’d probably think “so what?”

But the pitch was utterly dreadful by todays standards. Still playable, but it shows the standards you can “get away with” when you either have to, or choose to pay the bare minimum.

The fact it’s gone from that to now the best pitch in the league is credit to the ground staff and also to Mr Clowes for the high standards he holds for us. I used to think it was ironic we play at Pride Park with the way it was being left to deteriorate. It’s so nice that we’re back to having pride in our club again.

19 hours ago, Kernow said:

It probably seems very insignificant. A few years ago I’d probably think “so what?”

But the pitch was utterly dreadful by todays standards. Still playable, but it shows the standards you can “get away with” when you either have to, or choose to pay the bare minimum.

The fact it’s gone from that to now the best pitch in the league is credit to the ground staff and also to Mr Clowes for the high standards he holds for us. I used to think it was ironic we play at Pride Park with the way it was being left to deteriorate. It’s so nice that we’re back to having pride in our club again.

In 2016\17 our pitch was highly commended, along with Newcastle’s. Villa’s won the award for the Championship. There was a period of several years in MM’s ownership when he invested in both the stadium and the pitch, until the money he was prepared to spend ran out.

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

In 2016\17 our pitch was highly commended, along with Newcastle’s. Villa’s won the award for the Championship. There was a period of several years in MM’s ownership when he invested in both the stadium and the pitch, until the money he was prepared to spend ran out.

I know. I don't think anyone could ever argue that MM didn't put money in to the club, we find ourselves in this position because of that.

My post was more aimed at the fact that David Clowes stepped in not because he really wanted to own the Club, but because he really wanted to still have a Club to support. It would be easy to just keep us going without spending too much, but things like this just demonstrate the high standards he wants us to work to.