Next season

2 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

No one even knows what the restrictions are, think warne was quoting as saying “a substantial portion of the budget is available” in January. I don’t think things as tight as portrayed. We budgeted for lower crowds than have been getting alps.

Would be increased income from being in championship, plus the play offs also generates money. 

Also is not many sides that go into the championship and come straight down. We’d need to survive for a year and can the look to crack on.

Finally we’d look a lot more attractive to new owners in the championship as well. 

preferring to stay in this decision would be mental.

Why do we need to look attractive to new owners, DC seems to be enjoying ownership of the rams. I think he is in it for the forseeable future.

3 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

If we are unable to convince the EFL to ease the restrictions on our spending this summer, would we be better staying in this division and being a big fish in a small pond.

It seems to me that we would find it very difficult to compete in the Championship without the ability to add a few quality players to the squad

I thought the same initially but this league is difficult to get out of and we may hang on to some of our youngsters with promotion, it should be easier to attract quality free agents, it may be possible for Bielik to spend season with us (depending offers we may get snd wages obviously) and looking at some of the issues with championship club finances we may be looking at points deductions for some clubs next season which would help. Just get out ASAP

17 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Why do we need to look attractive to new owners, DC seems to be enjoying ownership of the rams. I think he is in it for the forseeable future.

Don’t think we need to but am sure clowes himself said wasn’t a long term thing. Just wanted to help the club. Not sure he wants to invest all of his money into derby county

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You always have to take a promotion to my mind.  That's the point of the game.

I agree, up to a point, but I think there are other (sustainable) ways of getting promotion such as sides building a platform over time, or learning from an experience to go one step better (Plymouth by the look of things). Imploded on the last day of last season to miss out on the play-offs, now look at them.

I'm not a massive fan of the PL, I've always thought it better to approach it on your terms rather than mortgage yourself as is so often the case. Both Brentford in terms of expenditure (£30-40m) & Brighton have done it in their own particular ways, with both suffering disappointment along the way until they were both ready. You could argue we never built on our play-off defeats, partly due to a trigger-happy owner and personnel changes.

I thought Jewell was a poor manager, suffered some ill-luck on occasions (several late goals knocked the stuffing out of that team, injuries to a very average squad) but he couldn't arrest the decline. Just as I think the current chairman can offer stability off the field that can lead to success on it, Derby were rudderless off the field as well (GSE takeover) leading to bad decisions all round.

3 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

If we are unable to convince the EFL to ease the restrictions on our spending this summer, would we be better staying in this division and being a big fish in a small pond.

It seems to me that we would find it very difficult to compete in the Championship without the ability to add a few quality players to the squad

So this thread is in fact a less than subtle covert dig at how the EFL treats us unfairly in some people's minds.

Pretty sure there's a separate thread for debating this ad nauseam.

26 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So this thread is in fact a less than subtle covert dig at how the EFL treats us unfairly in some people's minds.

Pretty sure there's a separate thread for debating this ad nauseam.

Nope, it started as a genuine thought process and unfortunately, as I often do in my every day life, I drifted into another thought process.

Hope this helps, and if you need me to justify any of my other posts, just let me know.

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Nope, it started as a genuine thought process and unfortunately, as I often do in my every day life, I drifted into another thought process.

Hope this helps, and if you need me to justify any of my other posts, just let me know.

Clowes is cultivating a positive relationship with the EFL, far more than the previous owner ever managed to do, but you advocate 35,000 of our fans if we got to the playoff final at Wembley chanting duck the EFL.

Nice one. How long did it take you to think of that. 

Actually on second thoughts don't bother replying please. 

Oh, you're now dictating whether I can reply, OK, I guess you know best........well at least you think so.

David Clowes will cultivate a great relationship with the EFL, and to be honest if he asked the fans not to be mean I'm sure we would all respect that, unfortunately fans are less likely to take notice of some over inflated egotist on a football forum.

6 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Oh, you're now dictating whether I can reply, OK, I guess you know best........well at least you think so.

David Clowes will cultivate a great relationship with the EFL, and to be honest if he asked the fans not to be mean I'm sure we would all respect that, unfortunately fans are less likely to take notice of some over inflated egotist on a football forum.

It’s a shame some people would feel the need for DC to ask instead of seeing for themselves how pointless, pathetic and potentially counterproductive all of us singing “duck the EFL” at a playoff final could be.

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s a shame some people would feel the need for DC to ask instead of seeing for themselves how pointless, pathetic and potentially counterproductive all of us singing “duck the EFL” at a playoff final could be.

I think it would be great.

It's a shame that some people are happy to just roll over and have their tummy tickled.

I guess that's where we differ

For me, as a supporter, I am in absolutely no rush for promotion this season other than the fact it would be great to experience as a fan. In terms of next season, though, I'd definitely enjoy a competitive year in League One than I would a mid-table finish in the Championship. Why on earth anyone would be in a rush to go back playing the likes of Preston, Blackburn, Birmingham, Hull, etc is beyond me - especially given the EFL restrictions and the fact we would probably be going to back to those as underdogs still under the watchful eye of the Football League. 

Commercially, however, promotion is worth £10m and that would go a long way to replenishing the state of the club in the long-term. I don't believe there would be a huge difference in free agents that we would attract in truth - the increased revenue in the Championship would allow a greater volume of players we could bring in. However, I feel we would be competitive against the bottom half of the Championship for free agents anyway - especially if we can offer more than the £12k a week than we have done this season. Haydon Roberts, for example, he will 100% have interest and offers for teams in that position but I'm still confident that in League One we could sign him permanently. Championship clubs, not all the time, typically have higher revenues and I don't expect anyone would take a poorer deal to come to us in the league below, but with a competitive wage then I anticipate we would win more than we lose.  

The hope is that with promotion becomes a review how we can attack the transfer market, allowing us to pay fees, etc. It might be a long shot, but with the amount of other clubs under scrutiny and us potentially turning a healthy profit - there could be a negotiation to be had whereby we can use the money made this year on transfer fees or at least funds from sales. Who knows. 

52 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think it would be great.

It's a shame that some people are happy to just roll over and have their tummy tickled.

I guess that's where we differ

Why would it be great? What would it achieve?

I'm not entirely happy with the way we've been treated but IF we reach the play off final then I'd be more interested in singling to support and encourage the team than continuing with a song that MAY have been appropriate 12 months or more ago but is now well past it's sell by date. At best, singing the song would have no effect as the powers that be would just ignore it. At worse, it wouldn't help DC trying to repair the damage done by Mel regarding our relationship with the EFL. I seriously doubt any neutrals watching would be impressed. More likely they'd laugh at us.

I’d love it if we (please post the obvious picture/gif)  got promotion this season. I would snap your hand off if you offered it me today.

As for next season, in my opinion we’d be fine. I honestly think there’s little difference in the abilities of the squad/starting 11 we have today compared with the one that we were relegated with. The one that we were relegated with would have stayed up save for the 21 point deduction - and I really don’t think the Championship has improved in quality that much. A promoted Derby - a team on the up -would be an attractive proposition for out of contract players and loan players. 

I couldn’t give two sh’ts about the EFL reality/conspiracy theories - and everyone is welcome to their opinions. BUT show me one Derby fan who hand on heart - would watch us climb the steps at Wembley - and in that euphoric moment of the trophy being lifted would turn and say out loud “oh I wish this was a year later!!”   BS!!

I’ll try not to be too ambiguous in my views next time!!! 😝 🐏

Whatever wherever or whenever the Rams play they have one of the most loyal and faithful fanbase in the UK and boost the attendance at other grounds. This support is a boost to away game attendance with “smaller” teams playing like it’s a cup final and using every tactic imaginable to prevent the Rams leaving their division and the prospect of bumper gate receipts!

We are often victims both of our own success and proud heritage!

COYR…..onwards and upwards!

6 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

For me, 35,000 derby fans singing "f*** the EFL" at Wembley as we lift the trophy would be among the most glorious moments of my 50 years supporting the Rams.

In advance I'd like to apologise to David Clowes for any difficulties that may bring, but it has to be done if the opportunity arises, to register our feelings in front of a global television audience would just to be too much to resist.

Hell yes