Next season

For me, 35,000 derby fans singing "f*** the EFL" at Wembley as we lift the trophy would be among the most glorious moments of my 50 years supporting the Rams.

In advance I'd like to apologise to David Clowes for any difficulties that may bring, but it has to be done if the opportunity arises, to register our feelings in front of a global television audience would just to be too much to resist.

44 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I rather go up this season and perhaps get rid these stupid restrictions now.

The restrictions are in place because the football club didn’t pay the full amount owed by the club to survive - we have to be seen to not be spending recklessly. It’s nice not to see us wasting shed loads of money on useless players - even if a signing doesn’t work out currently it doesn’t cost us a fortune.

30 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

For me, 35,000 derby fans singing "f*** the EFL" at Wembley as we lift the trophy would be among the most glorious moments of my 50 years supporting the Rams.

In advance I'd like to apologise to David Clowes for any difficulties that may bring, but it has to be done if the opportunity arises, to register our feelings in front of a global television audience would just to be too much to resist.

Outside of our fanbase nobody else cares.  They really don't.

Edited by Blondest Goat

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No offence to the OP, but this argument does my head in.

How many times did people say this when we were in the Championship promotion race? It was said pretty much every season, and yet here we are in League One after missing numerous chances to go up.

Get promoted and worry about everything else afterwards. It’s been 16 years since our last promotion. Nothing is guaranteed.

Yep.  For years people have been suffering panics about promotion due to Jewells buffoonery,  That was bad enough in the Championship, never mind this one.

We've seen plenty of the championship lately and half of it's crap.  That's why three teams are in the playoff spots having spent tuppence.  

Let's get out this league which we were put in, not relegated to.

4 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Forest might be selling one or two !! 🤣🤣

I'll trade them the remains of a Saturday night kebab that's been left on a street corner for 48 hours and been chewed by pigeons .In return I'll have Neco Williams, Awoniyi, Wood, Shelvey and the Tik Tok kid.  The pigeon gets to keep the Gherkin unless they throw in Worrall.

43 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I keep reading posts online that DCFC agreed to the EFL business plan. Wrong. DCFC wrote a business plan to which the EFL agreed.

Within the restrictions that were imposed

54 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I keep reading posts online that DCFC agreed to the EFL business plan. Wrong. DCFC wrote a business plan to which the EFL agreed.

Can't wait for a new EFL chairman to come in, decide he disagrees with what was previously agreed on and then dock us points for it.

Yes I'm still bitter.

42 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

For years people have been suffering panics about promotion due to Jewells buffoonery,

Eh? The play-off win at Wembley was special, but 2007 put us back several seasons and led to another relegation battle. There was no infrastructure in place. Jewell wasn't just to blame, he is a convenient scapegoat for a number of ills: Davies' rotten buys and a limited budget.

The OP's argument isn't necessarily a popular one, but I think the present owner is the most important person at our club. He's appointed a manager who has a proven record at getting a side out of this division. He's the one setting in place an infrastructure that will hopefully yield results (recruitment). Why can't people have faith in him to play the long game? I remember his recent interview where he said he was pleasantly surprised by our current form with the suggestion that he expected Warne to have us making a concerted challenge next season.

I don't think he will leave & if he does sell us on/other investors come in, he will try to stay in some capacity to oversee things & avoid the last dire situation we found ourselves in.

If we can reach the play-offs, after all the restrictions we have been operating under, it just shows the disparity that exists between clubs in this division in contrast to the Champ'ship, and that promotion ought to happen sooner or later, and within three seasons once we get shot of all the restrictions. Historically it's taken two seasons each time we've found ourselves at this level. We didn't operate under restrictions under Cox's tenure in the old Third. 

As for the sides fighting the drop in the Champ'ship, several of the bigger hitters, vis Birmingham, Cardiff, Reading, Huddersfield (two of whom have been in the moneybags PL) are all sides with financial problems/limited budgets akin to our present situation, but one where we are shedding historic debts (agents fees) & starting from a clean slate.

It is frustrating to be in this division, but I am quietly optimistic about the future under this owner. It just won't happen in the present moment, but we are looking upwards because it can't get any worse. We had two or three seasons of instability after Lampard left and now are gradually building.

My heart says promotion now and wants us to finish 6th etc, my head says that I want us to be a sustainable club and to put faith in the owner. He is ultimately the most important person at Derby at the present moment.

Edited by Asanovic70

The idea of being happy to stay in this division is preparing for the worst, I get that. After all this club has been through, it's easy to understand why people prepare themselves for the worst.

What I don't get is, then you'd have to hope for our loss in the playoff final so we'd stay in the division while earning as much money as possible. 

I'd rather choose promotion and be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

22 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

Eh? The play-off win at Wembley was special, but 2007 put us back several seasons and led to another relegation battle. There was no infrastructure in place. Jewell wasn't just to blame, he is a convenient scapegoat for a number of ills: Davies' rotten buys and a limited budget.

The OP's argument isn't necessarily a popular one, but I think the present owner is the most important person at our club. He's appointed a manager who has a proven record at getting a side out of this division. He's the one setting in place an infrastructure that will hopefully yield results (recruitment). Why can't people have faith in him to play the long game? I remember his recent interview where he said he was pleasantly surprised by our current form with the suggestion that he expected Warne to have us making a concerted challenge next season.

I don't think he will leave & if he does sell us on/other investors come in, he will try to stay in some capacity to oversee things & avoid the last dire situation we found ourselves in.

If we can reach the play-offs, after all the restrictions we have been operating under, it just shows the disparity that exists between clubs in this division in contrast to the Champ'ship, and that promotion ought to happen sooner or later, and within three seasons once we get shot of all the restrictions. Historically it's taken two seasons each time we've found ourselves at this level. We didn't operate under restrictions under Cox's tenure in the old Third. 

As for the sides fighting the drop in the Champ'ship, several of the bigger hitters, vis Birmingham, Cardiff, Reading, Huddersfield (two of whom have been in the moneybags PL) are all sides with financial problems/limited budgets akin to our present situation, but one where we are shedding historic debts (agents fees) & starting from a clean slate.

It is frustrating to be in this division, but I am quietly optimistic about the future under this owner. It just won't happen in the present moment, but we are looking upwards because it can't get any worse. We had two or three seasons of instability after Lampard left and now are gradually building.

My heart says promotion now and wants us to finish 6th etc, my head says that I want us to be a sustainable club and to put faith in the owner. He is ultimately the most important person at Derby at the present moment.

You always have to take a promotion to my mind.  That's the point of the game.  

You have a different opinion on Jewell to me.  Sold Oakley, Jones and Howard who were at least bothered and brought in a load of crap.  Compounded this the following year bringing in another load of crap bar Hulse, Green and Commons who didn't really prove himself to Clough got him a lot fitter.

That team was getting relegated but those last chunk of games was totally and utterly abject.  According to Michael Johnson he was the worst motivator of players he ever worked for. 

As for this season.  I'm sure the chairman has a 5 yr plan budget wise but I'm sure he wouldn't mind a substantial chunk of cash heading back his way should that happen this season.

Nothing to fear in the championship for me.  Add a mobile centre half and full back and a mobile striker we'll be fine.

1 minute ago, ck- said:

Ok. Who is this imposter and what have you done with our B4?

Championship champions 23/24

Hey just saying to that person does not mean we shall be relegation it could be even better like say mate.

No imposter.

Pinched from last seasons Sunderland Echo.

“As things currently stand each Championship club, not in receipt of parachute payments, receives about £5-6million from the TV pot. The equivalent in League One is like £800,000 to £1million.”

“The deal at the minute means each Championship club will get around £6million from the TV pot, obviously you can top that up a little bit with the number of times teams are on TV because each individual match has a fee for the club which you can add on.”

The other area where Sunderland could make financial gains in the Championship is through comercial deals and increased matchday attendances.

Around a £8-10million difference would be a realistic benchmark for a club like Sunderland to get out of League One and into the Championship.”

Regardless of any alterations or not to the clubs business plan any opportunity to get out of this league must be taken asap! 👍