Ravel Morrison

SaffyRam

"Rooney and Morrison know each other well from their time at Manchester United"

I know this is mainly just lazy journalism, but it's also Morrison's career in a nutshell. I honestly have never seen another player dine out for so long to such effect from such a brief and innocuous association with a big club. In what world would a guy who played about three league cup games over two seasons whilst spending the vast majority of his time in the youth team get to know Rooney well?

20 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Does warn take a gample take another punt on him he ca  take good free kicks on him he could class him as a summer signing use this time as a preseason now get him fit for next season ready to go then.

I never saw him take a good free kick B4 when was it?

You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
Every gambler knows that the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away and knowing what to keep

Kenny Rogers - the Gambler.

Wise words when it comes to ageing footballing trouble makers too ?

On 28/02/2023 at 16:58, B4ev6is said:

Does warn take a gample take another punt on him he ca  take good free kicks on him he could class him as a summer signing use this time as a preseason now get him fit for next season ready to go then.

Sorry b4 absolutely no way on earth. Would rather have Keogh and Mason Bennett. Surprised we got as much out of him as we did - prob his longest settled spell??

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, littleover ram said:

Why would we want him back? He got out of here pretty quickly when the CK deal fell through. Compared to how other players still stuck by the club 

You cant really blame him for leaving, he had one of his best seasons under Rooney and the decided to follow him to the US.

4 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

You cant really blame him for leaving, he had one of his best seasons under Rooney and the decided to follow him to the US.

I’m not picking on you personally, it’s just an opinion I see a lot and I don’t really get it.

He was average at best for us. He’d drop deep to get on the ball without really doing a lot. Grealish, Cairney and Maddison all played, not just the position, but the intended role un the team in The Championship and they ran games. 

Morrison just aimlessly retained possession.

He was used slightly differently towards the end of the season and looked more of a threat but… 

Edited by cannable

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2023 at 20:39, cannable said:

I’m not picking on you personally, it’s just an opinion I see a lot and I don’t really get it.

He was average at best for us. He’d drop deep to get on the ball without really doing a lot. Grealish, Cairney and Maddison all played, not just the position, but the intended role un the team in The Championship and they ran games. 

Morrison just aimlessly retained possession.

He was used slightly differently towards the end of the season and looked more of a threat but… 

I think "best" in the context of Morrison's career is still true. It's only the 2nd season in his entire career that he played more than 30 games and found some consistency. He was average, but that's way more than I expected.

I found it an odd decision to follow Rooney to DC United

Chiefly because it took until late in the season for Rooney to utilise his attacking abilities properly - as was a common theme in Rooney's management - and I thought he showed plenty in when he was allowed to play his natural game to say he could be a top Championship player (or higher) if he was given that role on a permanent basis.

...but then his career is littered with rubbish decisions, so not really a surprise, more a frustration.

He'd take the absolute piss out of defenders at this level. Should have stayed.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I thought he was a decent player for us in a season when we were going through complete turmoil yet got enough points (without deductions) for a lower-mid table finish in the Championship.

He's still only 30 and could be an excellent player at this level (or higher), if only he really wanted to be.

Feels like the polar opposite of a Warne player, though.

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

I thought he was a decent player for us in a season when we were going through complete turmoil yet got enough points (without deductions) for a lower-mid table finish in the Championship.

He's still only 30 and could be an excellent player at this level (or higher), if only he really wanted to be.

Feels like the polar opposite of a Warne player, though.

This...one that should have made more of his talents 🙄

• 7 months later...