Lincoln City (H), 7.45pm Tuesday 14th February.

Rev

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That’s the point - we don’t. We are a footballing city and we certainly don’t sink that low. I was embarrassed for your fans last night and had we not had a very weak referee { there’s a glut of them these days} your team’s s*** housery, as directed from your technical area, would have seen more of your players booked. This isn’t bitterness speaking but frankly it was a disgrace; and a pity because your team did play well and I was impressed by your support. We all love football and sporting endeavour - your team sank below the acceptable line on that score last night which for me spoiled the positives; you wouldn’t have got away with it had there been decent officials strong enough to apply the spirit of the laws of the game. Well done to you otherwise. 

Joe Wildsmith wastes time before every goal kick whenever we’re winning. And I guarantee the vast majority of the players don’t care that they play for a “footballing city”.

Elitist twaddle IMO.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, Just Visiting said:

Hi everyone, Lincoln City fan here. Just been having a read of your forum, I find it interesting to see what other fans think after a game whether we win, lose or draw (I recommend it if you don't do it, but don't take things too personally!).

Here are my thoughts on the game for what it's worth. I thought we were the better team up until the sending off (although that could be my red and white tinted glasses) and worthy of our lead. We were solid on the wings, in the centre and looked dangerous on the counter. As for the red card, I thought the 2nd yellow was correct (and was a really unnecessary challenge by House, especially as he avoided the temptation of another one about 3 seconds earlier), but the 1st yellow was 50/50. Not sure the ref was going to give it until the Derby players and 20,000 fans changed his mind, although I could be doing him a disservice and maybe he was just taking his time.

After that the game totally changed, we just defended and had fewer chances going forward. We did employ some 'game management' by breaking the game up and slowing things down, but we were adapting to the situation. It's not a standard 'dark arts' game plan as some are suggesting and the thing is, everyone does it nowadays (showing my age!) when the time is right. Do you honestly think Derby wouldn't do the same if you were a goal up and down to 10? I don't like it but we've had teams do it against us plenty of times, and for me, a team needs to be able to overcome it when they have to if they want to win. Didn't see the management telling our goalie to go down on ifollow but yeah, it was obvious what he was doing and again, it's the kind of thing teams do nowadays (personally I don't like any team doing it). 

Both goals looked offside and your one at the end was not clear either way - but I'll go with the lino's decision on that one ?. Thought it was certainly an entertaining game overall (could go on but think that's probably more than enough of my thoughts!).

I've seen that amount of time wasting before once.  When we played Millwall and the goalie was injured at least 5 times.  Other than that, i think you put it all in for 55 minutes then started to feel the effects of the effort, hence a tired red. I think a point was coming but with 11 each that was the most likely outcome.  I'm not really sure how you got away with the last 15 mins when you had 10, it was like the alamo.  Reminded of QPR at Wembley. though that was for 85 minutes.

On another note, I don't mind other fans on here but what I do mind is then coming on here late in the evening,  people having the good grace to answer his questions and then see him spend an hour slagging us come game night with ever bit of abuse possible on your forum.  Very poor.

36 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

I think that is a fair reflection ‘Just Visiting’. We did not play well and Lincoln defended very well. When it looked for a second that we had nicked all 3 points I felt elated but also that we had got away with one! Overall the ref was equally erratic for both sides and managed to lose both sets of fans early on with his decisions. I’m confident we won’t be so wasteful with the ball on Saturday and am looking forward to what the rest of the season brings….it’s been great so far.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot more from Derby last night. I don't mean that as a wind up, but your league position, recent form and goalscoring was really being bigged up in the build-up. 

Saying that, I saw a stat the other day which said we had the second best record in League 1 against the top teams, but the worst against the lower teams. Not sure what that's all about but thought that happened again last night until the sending off. And yes, the officials weren't great.

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Joe Wildsmith wastes time before every goal kick whenever we’re winning. And I guarantee the vast majority of the players don’t care that they play for a “footballing city”.

Elitist twaddle IMO.

Ever seen him spontaneously fall to the floor and feign injury? And you’re welcome to you opinion too; that you have @i-Ram’s full support must surely strength your conviction. ?

Edited by Ellafella

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Ever seen him spontaneously fall to the floor and feign injury? And you’re welcome to you opinion too; that you have @i-Ram’s full support must surely strength your conviction. ?

Didn’t Conor Hourihane admit in a Radio Derby interview the other week that he feigned an injury to waste time?

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Can’t really argue with that fairly reasonable summary.

I agree every club, including Derby, resort to the dark arts of time wasting when circumstances dictate however, it did seem to to be lowered to a new low yesterday. I’ve never seen the coaches telling the goal keeper to go down (I know it wasn’t technically time wasting but rather designed to stop the play in order to allow your substitution to be made) in full knowledge that the keeper is the only player that doesn’t have to leave the field after treatment. I also found it somewhat bizarre when two of your defenders went down only for one of them seemingly to argue with the ref when instructed to leave the field after treatment.

To me it didn't seem any worse than other teams doing it, but it's never great being in the receiving end of it. And to be fair, it only started when we were down to 10.

The goalkeeper thing wasn't great. If you get a player sent off you should have to sort things out on the fly while the game is going, not get a few minutes to think and sort changes. But it's a loophole I've seen others use too.

As for the defenders, I think 1 asked for the physio but the other didn't. But because 1 of the physio's checked on him, the ref made him leave the field too.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Didn’t Conor Hourihane admit in a Radio Derby interview the other week that he feigned an injury to waste time?

Smith admitted it on RamsTV.  As someone has already pointed out McGoldrick went down like he had been shot for the sending off and then made a miraculous recovery.   

We're nowhere near as cynical as some teams but the idea that we don't waste time or feign injury when it suits us is nonsense.

Edited by Blondest Goat

44 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That’s the point - we don’t. We are a footballing city and we certainly don’t sink that low. I was embarrassed for your fans last night and had we not had a very weak referee { there’s a glut of them these days} your team’s s*** housery, as directed from your technical area, would have seen more of your players booked. This isn’t bitterness speaking but frankly it was a disgrace; and a pity because your team did play well and I was impressed by your support. We all love football and sporting endeavour - your team sank below the acceptable line on that score last night which for me spoiled the positives; you wouldn’t have got away with it had there been decent officials strong enough to apply the spirit of the laws of the game. Well done to you otherwise. 

I'm not sure if you're being genuine or saying it tongue in cheek regarding Derby never being involved in 'game management' tactics. If you've never done it in a tight promotion/relegation have or big Cup tie then fair play. But I agree, stronger officials and more cards may well have stopped things last night, but players will always try to push things as far a they can I suppose.

33 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've seen that amount of time wasting before once.  When we played Millwall and the goalie was injured at least 5 times.  Other than that, i think you put it all in for 55 minutes then started to feel the effects of the effort, hence a tired red. I think a point was coming but with 11 each that was the most likely outcome.  I'm not really sure how you got away with the last 15 mins when you had 10, it was like the alamo.  Reminded of QPR at Wembley. though that was for 85 minutes.

On another note, I don't mind other fans on here but what I do mind is then coming on here late in the evening,  people having the good grace to answer his questions and then see him spend an hour slagging us come game night with ever bit of abuse possible on your forum.  Very poor.

I was surprised we went so defensive after the sending off, but fitness levels weren't the reason as we have great squad fitness levels. Same with the red, I think it was just bad impetuous decision made by a young player.

Not sure what you mean by the second paragraph. I've not been slagging anyone off elsewhere, happy to give you my 'forum name' on the Lincoln forum if you want to check. 

1 minute ago, Just Visiting said:

I was surprised we went so defensive after the sending off, but fitness levels weren't the reason as we have great squad fitness levels. Same with the red, I think it was just bad impetuous decision made by a young player.

Not sure what you mean by the second paragraph. I've not been slagging anyone off elsewhere, happy to give you my 'forum name' on the Lincoln forum if you want to check. 

Not yourself.  Some other bell end.

36 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Smith admitted it on RamsTV.  As someone has already pointed out McGoldrick went down like he had been shot for the sending off and then made a miraculous recovery.   

We're nowhere near as cynical as some teams but the idea that we don't waste time or feign injury when it suits us is nonsense.

And I for one don't mind one bit!

Even "SuperLeeds"were known to cheat by diving and feigning injuries.

Having two world class (Lorimer & Clarke) in their team should have engendered a sense of fair play but they will be forever known as 'Dirty' Leeds.

I hope Lincoln are not managed in such a way as to gain similar notoriety!

Edited by Brammie Steve

7 hours ago, Just Visiting said:

I'm not sure if you're being genuine or saying it tongue in cheek regarding Derby never being involved in 'game management' tactics. If you've never done it in a tight promotion/relegation have or big Cup tie then fair play. But I agree, stronger officials and more cards may well have stopped things last night, but players will always try to push things as far a they can I suppose.

The point just to be clear is that you took it to a whole new level on Tuesday. It was an organised, concerted tactic being implemented from your technical area and the only people in the ground who didn’t realise it were the 4 officials who practically  reinforced it. It is clearly against the spirit and law of the game. Have Derby County ever engaged in that to that degree? No. Unfortunately we’ve seen teams at Pride Park before do it, but Lincoln City, your team, have now written the manual on it. 
As I said I was embarrassed for your fans who were impressive in number and volume. Would I want my team to engage in that to get a point away from home? No. I’d rather them lose 2-1 playing football because that’s the honest thing to do and that’s the spirit of football. A chap called Pele called it the “beautiful game” for a reason. 4 players going down at various different time spontaneously to break up play and result in the 2 physios walking on the pitch at “snail’s pace” for “treatment”, were clear tactics to disrupt play and run down the clock. It clearly crossed the threshold of unsportsmanlike play which the rules and spirit of the game forbid. The game descended into a farce thanks to another set of very weak officials who required players to advise them of the rules of the game eg bringing a player down by foul play with no intention of playing the ball is a yellow card. Your player House did it twice and rightfully earned 2 yellows. 

Anyhow, enjoy the rest of your season. Best of luck. 

9 hours ago, Just Visiting said:

To be honest, I was expecting a lot more from Derby last night. I don't mean that as a wind up, but your league position, recent form and goalscoring was really being bigged up in the build-up. 

Saying that, I saw a stat the other day which said we had the second best record in League 1 against the top teams, but the worst against the lower teams. Not sure what that's all about but thought that happened again last night until the sending off. And yes, the officials weren't great.

I was expecting more from us as well but Lincoln pressed our wide players giving us no time on the ball and were quicker to react up until the sending off. We did not adjust and whilst having a lot of the ball struggled to create chances until the last 15. If I were a Lincoln supporter I would have been very happy with that performance.

To me it didn't seem any worse than other teams doing it, but it's never great being in the receiving end of it. And to be fair, it only started when we were down to 10.

The goalkeeper thing wasn't great. If you get a player sent off you should have to sort things out on the fly while the game is going, not get a few minutes to think and sort changes. But it's a loophole I've seen others use too.

As for the defenders, I think 1 asked for the physio but the other didn't. But because 1 of the physio's checked on him, the ref made him leave the field too.

The ref didnt make him leave too. He refused to leave arguing with the ref wasting even more time. He never quite left the pitch and the fourth official had to physically put his arm out to stop him from coming on properly. Why he was not booked I do not understand. I have been watching Derby since 1983/4, my dad's best friend is from Lincoln and before Tuesday I had some affection for you as a team because of that, but your antics orchestrated by your staff are the worst I have seen in almost 40 years and was an utter disgrace. It eclipsed any good things you did. I would be embarrassed to come on here, let alone try and defend it. 

I was being totally serious. Anyone that thinks their own team don’t engage in such tactics from time to time is being incredibly naive. Same as all the other dark arts, going down too easily, surrounding the referee etc. I just thought Lincoln took it to a new level with the two examples I gave.

Having said that, I do think your assessment was pretty fair and I couldn’t see how Derby were ever going to score until the sending off.

That isn't true, though, is it? You were defensive from the kick off. You'd got eight men behind the ball with a straight line back five all the way through the first half and only played on the break when we gave away possession,  which we did too frequently on Tuesday. It was a really disciplined performance, I noticed it particularly as I sit exactly across from your defence.

That makes you really tough to score against, so I can understand why you get the results you do. Boring to watch though.

Do you set up differently against lower placed teams and therefore are more prone to letting in goals? I don't know the answer to that as I don't follow you.

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Elitist twaddle IMO.

Classic "whataboutery". 

There's a difference between a player taking their time over deadball kicks etc and players collapsing with no opposition players in sight in order to bring about a tactical delay to play directed by the bench. It's bordering on the fake "blood injuries" Rugby scandal of a few years ago. It robs the paying public of a coherent game of football. 

Lincoln entered Millwall territory the other night with some of their behaviour. I hope they enjoy their new status. The referee should have done them a favour and nipped it in the bud, but he failed totally. 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Classic "whataboutery". 

There's a difference between a player taking their time over deadball kicks etc and players collapsing with no opposition players in sight in order to bring about a tactical delay to play directed by the bench. It's bordering on the fake "blood injuries" Rugby scandal of a few years ago. It robs the paying public of a coherent game of football. 

Lincoln entered Millwall territory the other night with some of their behaviour. I hope they enjoy their new status. The referee should have done them a favour and nipped it in the bud, but he failed totally. 

Can say that all you like but I still think the idea that “we don’t do that because we’re a footballing city” is absolute guff.

If we suddenly had all the same players and staff members as Lincoln had we’d be doing the exact same.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7