Knighty and Birdy

RoyMac5

Just now, inter politics said:

Perhaps both statements could be correct 

The few players we have in the first time from the academy are likely to be the last for some time.  The kids team is that bad were borrowing players from other teams to stabilise it. The best ones have gone to Villa, Brighton. Chelsea, Man Utd etc.  Anyone left that may be OK will have that beaten out of them by constant hammerings.  Only 3 years ago the same age bracket was beating Borussia Dortmund That's one blokes fault. 

9 hours ago, vonwright said:

Interesting looking at that - you can argue about Buchanan and Whittaker but basically we've somehow managed to hang on to the best ones. 

Buchanan has only played 259 minutes of League football since he left the club. I'd say that's a shame but in reality, zero f**** are given. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The few players we have in the first time from the academy are likely to be the last for some time.  The kids team is that bad were borrowing players from other teams to stabilise it. The best ones have gone to Villa, Brighton. Chelsea, Man Utd etc.  Anyone left that may be OK will have that beaten out of them by constant hammerings.  Only 3 years ago the same age bracket was beating Borussia Dortmund That's one blokes fault. 

Not really. We still have a number of players who could break through from most age groups.

2019 - We still have Bardell, Solomon, Aghatise and Cybulski who will hope to break through

2021 - I think this intake was very good, with only Eze (Norwich) and Ebiowei (Palace) leaving. Evans, Richards, Moloney, DRobinson, Sebagabo and Fapetu all have good chances.

2022 - A few good players with decent chances. My picks at the moment would be Hawkins, DBrown and Wheeldon.

Bardell, Solomon, Aghatise and Cybulski who will hope to break through. Please can I be added to this list. I feel, at long last, I might have a genuine chance of some proper  first team action.

I didn’t come on here though to say that. One, of the many things, I hate about modern day football is nicknames.  What’s this Knighty and Birdy business? Never heard Hectory and O’Harey being talked about in such childish terms.

Ok moan over. Note that I resisted from calling Mel a Cnut. He is though (for the record). Anyway, I am going out to take the dog for a walk, and hopefully I can poke a child in the eye.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Bardell, Solomon, Aghatise and Cybulski who will hope to break through. Please can I be added to this list. I feel, at long last, I might have a genuine chance of some proper  first team action.

I didn’t come on here though to say that. One, of the many things, I hate about modern day football is nicknames.  What’s this Knighty and Birdy business? Never heard Hectory and O’Harey being talked about in such childish terms.

Ok moan over. Note that I resisted from calling Mel a Cnut. He is though (for the record). Anyway, I am going out to take the dog for a walk, and hopefully I can poke a child in the eye.

Toddy was certainly a thing back in the day, and for the ladies there was Dishy Nishy.

13 hours ago, inter politics said:

May get moaners for the second person mentioned but Walsall and Mel deserve alot of credit

Well no, because we ended up in such a state that we had to blood some of the kids through early, lost them on the cheap which in turn left the academy a state.

We benefited in the short term from being unsustainably Cat A.

If we do go up, I think these boys, Cashin, Sibley and Thompson will make the core of a good championship team. If we don’t go up, I think they all should leave for their and the clubs benefit. They will have outgrown a League 1 club and, given they all have contracts up 2024, we would need to sell to maximise any value. Win win I guess 

20 hours ago, inter politics said:

May get moaners for the second person mentioned but Walsall and Mel deserve alot of credit

I’m not sure Mel deserves any credit.  He took over the club in 2015, only 4 years before we won PL2.  The vast majority of those players would have already been here.  The structure of the academy, the youth scouting, the philosophy was all put together by Wasall under Clough Jnr’s stewardship and the ownership of GSE.  When Nigel took over one of his first observations was that he couldn’t understand why we lost so many local players to rival clubs.  He implemented the change and brought Wassall in to lead it.  Absolutely nothing to do with Mel.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

You can blame Stevie Gerrard for it.  Much as you can blame Auto tuning Cher in that 'Believe' song and Simon Cowell for destroying music. 

7 hours ago, Jram said:

If we do go up, I think these boys, Cashin, Sibley and Thompson will make the core of a good championship team. If we don’t go up, I think they all should leave for their and the clubs benefit. They will have outgrown a League 1 club and, given they all have contracts up 2024, we would need to sell to maximise any value. Win win I guess 

Going to be honest, but I don't think Thompson would be in the core of any good Championship side unless he improves quite a lot. He tries hard and runs plenty, but I don't see too much talent in him on the ball. Personally think he is fine as a league one squad player, but past that I would try and move him on. 

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Going to be honest, but I don't think Thompson would be in the core of any good Championship side unless he improves quite a lot. He tries hard and runs plenty, but I don't see too much talent in him on the ball. Personally think he is fine as a league one squad player, but past that I would try and move him on. 

I always thought one of his biggest strengths when playing for the youth sides was his range of passing (with both feet). Freekicks and corners bent in accurately with either foot too.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I always thought one of his biggest strengths when playing for the youth sides was his range of passing (with both feet). Freekicks and corners bent in accurately with either foot too.

Didn't watch him much at youth level, so can only comment on the football I've seen for the first 11. Perhaps a confidence thing if he had a good range of passing at younger levels, but I haven't seen much of it at all in his first team games. 

22 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Solly was John O’Hare’s nick name if I recall correctly. 

I never heard anyone call JohnO 'Solly' at the BBG yet it was his Scots nickname apparently.

His brilliant positional skills were summed up in his anthem (clean version as the Rams were so often on telly

"He's here, he's there, he's told us not to swear. John O'Hare!

He was built like Dave Mackay and Cloughie called him 'The best chester of a football in the business!'

Brilliant times!