Knighty and Birdy

RoyMac5

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The stuff about the PL2 side and winners is fascinating. I wonders how many of those lads are still playing high level football? @Ghost of Cloughknows all stats?! ?

Derby County: French, J. Brown, Buchanan, Bird, Minkley (C), Cashin, Whittaker, Sibley, Wilson, Knight, A. Brown

Unused Subs: Thompson, Foster-Theniger, Splatt, Matthews, Nto

14 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Derby County: French, J. Brown, Buchanan, Bird, Minkley (C), Cashin, Whittaker, Sibley, Wilson, Knight, A. Brown

Dixon, Festy, Stretton and McDonald were regulars that season, although weren't available for the final. Delap also played a few times that season.

33 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Found this which gives a little more of players that moved on

https://jobs4football.com/derby-countys-under-18-premier-league-champions-where-are-they-now/

French, Wilson and perhaps surprisingly Minkley are the ones yet to go above non league level. 

Interesting comparing these two, Cashin, Sibley and Thompson to the ones who left/were sold/released to "better" clubs but whether due to our position or not they have careers most youngsters wanting to be footballers would dream of(ignoring £). Amount of first team football played/playing at their age, playing with mates, high esteem with fans, bonkers manager. I know we cant currently pay as much as others but know which I would prefer compared to those who are no longer here

Nice touch from the club to mark what is an impressive achievement for two young players in such a relaxed and accessible manner.

Bird has a real presence about him, off the pitch as much as on it. A calmness and maturity that belies his years, I guess his personal experiences at such a young age will have shaped that, if there is some sort of afterlife I reckon his old man is looking on proud.

How great would it be to gain promotion back to the championship and beyond to further success, keeping this core of “homegrown” youth together. Bird, Knight, Cashin, Sibley, Thommo etc going from strength to strength further supported by new talent brought into the club or through the same academy path they themselves have trodden. The occasional wizened old pro to keep them grounded and help them grow….I’m realistic enough to know it probably won’t play out that way, but what a treat it would be if it did. ? 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Interesting looking at that - you can argue about Buchanan and Whittaker but basically we've somehow managed to hang on to the best ones. 

Crazy that someone like Minkley can captain the best U18 team in the country, then not really make it in professional football. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

walsall-fc.jpg

I fought outside that entrance at Walsalls ground in 1994 following an altercation after the Northern Foods Cup Final between our factory and a team from a factory in Dronfield.

Dronfield had two coach loads of supporters, half a dozen of whom were BBC lads who kicked off against our coach load who were just beer monsters.

I had played in the final but got taken off with a badly sprained ankle so why I thought I could join in a brawl when I could barely walk, beer only knows!

We lost the match as well. ?

26 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Interesting looking at that - you can argue about Buchanan and Whittaker but basically we've somehow managed to hang on to the best ones. 

Crazy that someone like Minkley can captain the best U18 team in the country, then not really make it in professional football. 

Captain doesn't mean being the best player though