Barnsley (H) (FACR3) Sun 8th Jan, 12:30 KO

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I took the plunge yesterday and took Miss Wolfie (just turned 10) along for her first match.

I was concerned she'd be bored because she doesn't ever sit & watch a whole match on TV with me and, to be fair, she was showing signs of losing interest midway through the first half.

3 goals later and her laughing at the bouncing South stand in a great second half meant that she thoroughly enjoyed it and asked me on the way home when she can go again. It also helped that it gave her something to brag about at school today, with pretty much everyone else in her class being F*rest fans.

I’m so glad you took her anyway. I missed 2 league titles because my Dad refused to take me for the same reason ?

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Back in the old days a standard match was standing up, dying for a pee, getting soaked when it rained, watching a game through a fence with a pillar in the way.  On top of that you had not just cigarette smoke but some bloke 10 foot away who'd consumed 5 pints of buttblower bitter before kick off and would drop one at 10 minute intervals pervading a 5 metre area with his arse stench for 90 minutes and no possibility of escape.  Add the 20 stone geezer falling on top of you as you desperately fell towards a 4ft high  metal crash barrier coated with 50 years of rust after a goal and the potential for a good shoeing after the game.

Todays seating, gentle aroma of vape smoke that smells of sweets and access to a toilet with some shelter is like a trip to a 5 star hotel. 

And at 5’ 6” I would get there stupendously early to get a good view, only for all the 6’ +’s arrive to stand in front of me just before kick off!

7 hours ago, Eargasm said:

It was a real bargain £11 for my Son £6 for me, and only a £1 for my Grandson !.... 3 cheeseburgers outside the ground  before the game was almost as much lol !.... It was strange watching the highlights later though, I've always been in the Toyota West stand previously viewing the same way as the cameras... I was completely confused for a minute or so ! 

First 5 minutes after half time is always a struggle for me. Convinced the opposition have cut us wide open and are bearing down on goal, and then remembering with relief that they’re playing a flat back four we’ve swapped ends at half time. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Anyone else think it odd that Barnsley brought all their players back for a corner at 3-0 down? Damage limitation I suppose. 

It's modern coaching innit? The same as you don't have players on the posts at corners, and a defender takes goalkicks across your own six yard box to your keeper. I hate it all.

We all know the theory is that you are sucking the opponents forward and with your lightning-fast ability to break you are more likely to score than if you left players up, but I don't believe it. I'd leave three players on the halfway line and dare my opponents to not leave four back. With only six forwards to mark in the box, I think defending becomes much easier, and if you clear the ball you have much more chance of it sticking and relieving the pressure.

25 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's modern coaching innit? The same as you don't have players on the posts at corners, and a defender takes goalkicks across your own six yard box to your keeper. I hate it all.

We all know the theory is that you are sucking the opponents forward and with your lightning-fast ability to break you are more likely to score than if you left players up, but I don't believe it. I'd leave three players on the halfway line and dare my opponents to not leave four back. With only six forwards to mark in the box, I think defending becomes much easier, and if you clear the ball you have much more chance of it sticking and relieving the pressure.

I so want to see this.  Love it!  ??

We should go for it.  Call it "Warneball 2... Only the brave survive"!  ?  

18 hours ago, ram59 said:

There's one glaring omission there, Fozzy is ahead of them all in my opinion, atm. Another superb performance from him yesterday, in his tenth year at the club, having come back from 3 ACL injuries.

An honest footballer if ever there was one. Not the prettiest - which may be why he’s often underrated - but highly adaptable and so dependable at the back. Comparisons with Cashin are pointless - it’s like comparing tarte tartin with fine steak 

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here's Paul Warne voicing his opinions on that. Safe to say I don't think we'll be leaving anyone up front from corners.

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Here's Paul Warne voicing his opinions on that. Safe to say I don't think we'll be leaving anyone up front from corners.

The wonderful Arthur Cox would never leave anyone up. I used to have a moan about it, I’d always leave a couple up. Wait till I see Mr W, might not buy him free beer all night now….. not heard his theory yet. ⬆️

The manager is reducing the amount of space in the box the other team can attack to reduce the chance of conceding.

It's one of many little things managers do that build up to make teams harder to beat.

To be fair to Mr Warne it is currently working.

It was one of the rare moments of tactical genius Nigel Clough had when we played Stoke away in the cup during Delap’s pomp and he left 4 or 5 players up from every throw in so that Stoke couldn’t throw everyone in the box. It then meant our keeper (probably Bywater at the time?) came and caught it with ease more often than not. 

More concerning for me is when we are attacking corners and the only player we leave back in Korey Smith who’s slower than slow. Cost us a goal at MK Dons if I remember. It’s a worry every single time. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

It was one of the rare moments of tactical genius Nigel Clough had when we played Stoke away in the cup during Delap’s pomp and he left 4 or 5 players up from every throw in so that Stoke couldn’t throw everyone in the box. It then meant our keeper (probably Bywater at the time?) came and caught it with ease more often than not. 

More concerning for me is when we are attacking corners and the only player we leave back in Korey Smith who’s slower than slow. Cost us a goal at MK Dons if I remember. It’s a worry every single time. 

That was nothing to do with pace and everything to do with decision-making. He committed to a tackle and missed it, leaving them free to break.

As for Warne's reasoning on players defending corners, well it seems to be working so what is there to moan about?! ?

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

On Sunday it was Sibbo and then Thommo.

Loved that Thommo was our only line of defence! He didn't get called into action though.

58 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

This encapsulates what Warne is all about. He knows how he wants the game played and unless you can convince him otherwise then that’s how it’s going to be. Reminds me of Clough senior in so many respects and I for one am loving how he has got us playing particularly our defending as a team, if we stop them scoring the worst that can happen is a draw and that’s not going to happen often given our ability to create chances. There is something special happening here COYR

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That was nothing to do with pace and everything to do with decision-making. He committed to a tackle and missed it, leaving them free to break.

As for Warne's reasoning on players defending corners, well it seems to be working so what is there to moan about?! ?

He's done it a few times but didn't get away with it at MK Dons

A crowded penalty area means that there are more bodies to block shots on goal. Bolton had a good routine against us, whereby they put everyone in the six yard box and played the ball further out where one player broke out of the six yard box and raced to the ball then pivoted with a free shot at goal, only for it to be blocked by one of his own players in the 6 yard box.

23 minutes ago, ram59 said:

A crowded penalty area means that there are more bodies to block shots on goal. Bolton had a good routine against us, whereby they put everyone in the six yard box and played the ball further out where one player broke out of the six yard box and raced to the ball then pivoted with a free shot at goal, only for it to be blocked by one of his own players in the 6 yard box.

Six and two threes though, innit?

More bodies to block a shot.
More bodies to ricochet off, leaving the keeper stranded as it bobbles over the line.
More attacking bodies to pick up a loose ball, and have a shot.
More chance of an attempted clearance hitting a body and not even getting out of the area.

More chance of winning a pen?
More chance of conceding a pen?
More chance of a ref missing a pen claim due to being unsighted?

I'd imagine whichever approach you stuck with, it would be a classic case of "evening up over a season"? ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Six and two threes though, innit?

More bodies to block a shot.
More bodies to ricochet off, leaving the keeper stranded as it bobbles over the line.
More attacking bodies to pick up a loose ball, and have a shot.
More chance of an attempted clearance hitting a body and not even getting out of the area.

More chance of winning a pen?
More chance of conceding a pen?
More chance of a ref missing a pen claim due to being unsighted?

I'd imagine whichever approach you stuck with, it would be a classic case of "evening up over a season"? ?‍♂️

Agreed, there are pros and cons to bringing everyone back, I personally prefer to see a quick player left up front, but recent results are hard to argue against. I would have thought that not leaving someone up would mean that we couldn't clear our lines properly, but MK had everyone back when they scored from our corner.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

Agreed, there are pros and cons to bringing everyone back, I personally prefer to see a quick player left up front, but recent results are hard to argue against. I would have thought that not leaving someone up would mean that we couldn't clear our lines properly, but MK had everyone back when they scored from our corner.

May well depend on what league you are in 

why don’t every team leave a couple on the halfway line when a penalty is give against you just in case it’s saved?