England the next tournament.

1of4

So Southgate says he is pondering his future as England's manager. 

If he goes, who replaces him? 

If he remains as manager, what will he do?

Should he stick with the current group of players?

Immediately replace the older players that won't be about come the next tournament?

Not a popular opinion I'm sure, but I'd hope he stays on. There are times when I've felt differently but on the balance of his tenure, I think he ought to continue. 

As for whom he might be replaced by, I'd assume it would be someone like Eddie Howe, but at this juncture, who really knows? It's not a job many of the big guns would jump at, I suspect, given it's typically a thankless task.

Not sure I'm fussed one way or the other - after yet another in a long line of failures, I just find following England's fortunes to be far too depressing. Even yesterday, with what could well be our best chance of getting through to the final, I knew in my bones that it would all go horribly wrong...

If he stays - meh, if he goes - meh - my hopes have been dashed once too often to give a stuff....

Edited by Gaspode

He should stay and look to completely overhaul the defence, with permanent replacements for Shaw, Maguire and Walker - there's sufficient quality in the rest of the squad to go forward with confidence.

Those wanting Southgate out don't seem to be too quick putting forward alternatives, other than the likes of Eddie Howe who would be crazy to even consider leaving Newcastle given theirnupward momentum and a big budget.

For someone who had England Tattooed on his heart(I haven't)and have been brought to tears many a time...last night I wasn't fussed, Football is now passing me slowly by, Maybe an old timer thing and there's more things in the world today and here back home that I'm more concerned about, FWIW I think Southgate will stay.

From a fully paid up member of Saga ?

There isn't an obvious replacement for GS. Its a curious role needing part tactician, part coach, part mentor, part politician and part PR man.

The historical questioning around GS was his tactical nous and he seems to have improved in that area in that there wasn't an obvious retreat into negativity

I think he'll probably stay on, but if he doesn't, well, i would expect most of the same group of players to be back under whoever comes next. 

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

There isn't an obvious replacement for GS. Its a curious role needing part tactician, part coach, part mentor, part politician and part PR man.

The historical questioning around GS was his tactical nous and he seems to have improved in that area in that there wasn't an obvious retreat into negativity

I think he'll probably stay on, but if he doesn't, well, i would expect most of the same group of players to be back under whoever comes next. 

I actually think England were tactically astute against France.

I liked the way Henderson pulled wide right in possession to occupy the space left by Mbappe who doesn’t defend, and allowed Saka to go one vs one with their fullback.

I’m generally negative when it comes to England. I think we have so often been overhyped.

But against France, England were the better side. We kept their star players quiet and the two goals conceded had nothing to do with tactics, system or playing style. The first one in particular was a fluke.

I honestly believe we play that game again 10 times and England win four, draw four and only lose two.

Weird one for me, I was having this as his last tournament but the obvious replacements providing we go English/UK based are pretty much all in jobs they won’t leave ie Howe and Potter.

Last night was a gut punch, we were the better side and lost. Without being too presumptuous a final would’ve been waiting and I’d have fancied us against Argentina or Croatia. Instead we have KO at QF on our record. 

All the squad seem to buy in to him so that’s another tick in his box. 

My main concern would be concerning our forward role. Kane is probably good for the euros but he’ll be 33 at the next World Cup. So it’ll be touch and go if he’s still at the same level by then and I can’t see a natural replacement lurking in the shadows.

Anyway can’t see the FA making a decision so any change will come from Southgate.

Capello and Erikson kinda put me off big managers. 

The best ones will stick to club football? So you're looking at an excluded bunch? 

I think Southgate has proven he's one of the good among the bad. And although he's a tad negative he seems to have a good culture going. It's not a lads holiday that you got from the ultimate professionals like Capello. 

In fact England, thanks to the popularity of the PL, have had superstars as far as I remember. But this group is fairly unremarkable aren't they? 

They're even a bit boring like Southgate. But boringly professional.