England the next tournament.

1of4

Manager - unlikely to change with just 18 months until the tournament. 

Players - Don't expect many surprises. Mostly sticking with players who have already received callus, but could see someone like Harvey Elliott included to give him some experience of being part of the England squad at a major club competition. 

Pope, Coady, Dier, Shaw, Walker, Trippier, Phillips, Maddison, Sterling and Wilson the most at risk. I can see Henderson staying in the squad due to his influence on the rest of the squad. 

If I had to guess at this point in time, I'd go with this (new inclusions in bold)Ramsdale, Pickford, Pope, James, Alexander-Arnold, White, Tomori, Guehi, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell, Justin, Sessegnon, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mount, Elliott, Henderson, Saka, Rashford, Foden, Barnes, Kane, Abraham

I thought it was time for him to leave going into this tournament. I thought he'll step away and that's for the best.

You'd think after going out in the Quarter Finals I'd stand firm on that but I've actually seen a lot of progression in his style and what he brings to the setup. I think we could do a lot worse.

It sort of reminds me of Arsenal with Arsene Wenger (I know, nowhere near the same level of success but just stick with me). The talk was never about sacking him, there was a large section of the fans who felt he should "do the decent thing" and step into a role upstairs.

When you look back on that, you can see what they lost when he did go.

This England side are good, but I don't really think we're littered with generational talents like the French or the Brazilians. And the world class talent we have are young but they have performed well under Southgate. Let's not forget we're relying on the likes of Walker, Shaw, Maguire, Henderson. Top players no doubt who have done well but they're not really in the top echelon

We were the better side but if I had to pick a combined England and France XI, I can't say there's many England players that would make it in.

Lloris

Kounde/Varane/Stones/Hernandez

Tchouameni Rice Bellingham

Mbappe Griezmann

Kane (although close with Giroud)

And not forgetting that doesn't include injured players like Benzema or Kante who would push out Kane and Rice

The spine of the team needs some work. Kane almost 30, pickford with his short arms and we still persist in slow, lumbering centre halves who will be well into 30s by the next wc.. 

Happy for GS to see the rebuild through but a couple years trying out all and sundry just to wheel out Harry Maguire again will undo the decent stuff he's done. 

9 hours ago, Tombo said:

It sort of reminds me of Arsenal with Arsene Wenger (I know, nowhere near the same level of success but just stick with me). The talk was never about sacking him, there was a large section of the fans who felt he should "do the decent thing" and step into a role upstairs.

Nope, what did they lose? You think we should be happy with 'England's Wenger'? We just have to wait long enough?

Edited by RoyMac5

16 hours ago, Tombo said:

I thought it was time for him to leave going into this tournament. I thought he'll step away and that's for the best.

You'd think after going out in the Quarter Finals I'd stand firm on that but I've actually seen a lot of progression in his style and what he brings to the setup. I think we could do a lot worse.

This England side are good, but I don't really think we're littered with generational talents like the French or the Brazilians. And the world class talent we have are young but they have performed well under Southgate. Let's not forget we're relying on the likes of Walker, Shaw, Maguire, Henderson. Top players no doubt who have done well but they're not really in the top echelon

We were the better side but if I had to pick a combined England and France XI, I can't say there's many England players that would make it in.

Lloris

Kounde/Varane/Stones/Hernandez

Tchouameni Rice Bellingham

Mbappe Griezmann

Kane (although close with Giroud)

And not forgetting that doesn't include injured players like Benzema or Kante who would push out Kane and Rice

Exactly so why do people think we have a god given right to be winning things? We have a great set of players but so do other teams. Only one team can win the trophy. We've had better squads in the past but did nothing. Southgate has done a good job and has brought this team so far.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Manager - unlikely to change with just 18 months until the tournament. 

Players - Don't expect many surprises. Mostly sticking with players who have already received callus, but could see someone like Harvey Elliott included to give him some experience of being part of the England squad at a major club competition. 

Pope, Coady, Dier, Shaw, Walker, Trippier, Phillips, Maddison, Sterling and Wilson the most at risk. I can see Henderson staying in the squad due to his influence on the rest of the squad. 

If I had to guess at this point in time, I'd go with this (new inclusions in bold)Ramsdale, Pickford, Pope, James, Alexander-Arnold, White, Tomori, Guehi, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell, Justin, Sessegnon, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mount, Elliott, Henderson, Saka, Rashford, Foden, Barnes, Kane, Abraham

Why Shaw?

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The spine of the team needs some work. Kane almost 30, pickford with his short arms and we still persist in slow, lumbering centre halves who will be well into 30s by the next wc.. 

Happy for GS to see the rebuild through but a couple years trying out all and sundry just to wheel out Harry Maguire again will undo the decent stuff he's done. 

Stones and Maguire have never let England down!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

23 hours ago, Premier ram said:

A possible replacement for Gareth?   Pochettino

I don't get this one.

Firstly, he will want to get back into club management.

Secondly he's Argentinian, why would he want the England job?

And finally, why do people want Southgate out? 'Because he will never get us over the line to win trophies.' Okay so I know what we should do, we should appoint Pochettino, that bloke who has never won anything.

The people who criticsed Poch for not winning any trophies are the same people now wanting him to be England manager in place of Southgate so we can 'get over the line' and win trophies. Honestly baffling. 

The only thing that he will do is probably get us playing better football. But that's it. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Why Shaw?

Stones and Maguire have never let England down!

You say that, yet I'd have hoped one of them (Maguire in particular) might have been able to get within a yard of France's main aerial threat for the 2nd French goal. Maguire had a far better tournament than I suspect even he was expecting, but the one moment when he really needed to do his job, he was miles off.

Stones has certainly improved, but he still has a mistake in his game - he's over casual (or too keen to show how skillful he his) -

As for Shaw, he's similar to Trent AA - his forward play is far better than his defending and there were times in a couple of games where he pushed forward but then strolled back. Winning tournaments means we can't carry passengers - Shaw may have not been fully fit (we weren't exactly overloaded with left-backs so who knows) but he looks lazy or unfit to me (as he has frequently for Man Ure).

Southgate (or whoever) needs to be looking for improvement across the back line before the Euros...

Southgate surprised me to an extent, in that he was a little less negative in this tournament. So he's improved from that perspective. The strength is he's built a club mentality, but the flipside of that is he's been too loyal to many of the weaker players.

Now is the time for a change. Of the forwards the weakest link is probably Sterling, though Grealish doesn't do enough - the marauding runs he made at Villa have been coached out of him. In midfield, the emergence of Rice and Bellingham looks to be quite transformational. Finally. I would look at a whole new back 5 (including Pickford, who does well but is ultimately too small, as we saw with the first French goal).

39 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Southgate surprised me to an extent, in that he was a little less negative in this tournament. So he's improved from that perspective. The strength is he's built a club mentality, but the flipside of that is he's been too loyal to many of the weaker players.

Now is the time for a change. Of the forwards the weakest link is probably Sterling, though Grealish doesn't do enough - the marauding runs he made at Villa have been coached out of him. In midfield, the emergence of Rice and Bellingham looks to be quite transformational. Finally. I would look at a whole new back 5 (including Pickford, who does well but is ultimately too small, as we saw with the first French goal).

GS still has a tendency to make changes too late when he is chasing a game - i remember the Croatian manager in russia 2018 changing it up at half time, not waiting until 15 mins from the end.

id like to think we might not have seen the last of Fikayo, but i appreciate he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory for england so far. Although Maguire did a bit better than my extremely low expectations neither he, nor stones, nor any of the defence are the future.