Sheffield Wednesday (H) (Sat 3rd Dec 2022, 12:30 KO)

We've seen some games this season which wouldn't be out of place in the Championship - this wasn't one of them. All a tad flat and disappointing. Both teams handing over possession too easily, lots of bluster with little skill. A very league 1 affair.

I'm all for more attacking and Warne said after he wants to see even more crosses into the box. Fine. No problem. But you a) have to then coach players to cross effectively and b) tell your players to get into the box to get on the end of them. So many crosses were put in because you could feel the player being told "I have to cross". But there was no-one there. Or it hit the first man. A victory for quantity over quality - presumably playing the law of averages that sooner or later one will break for you.

I thought defence and midfield played well today, but in the attacking third we weren't up to much other than McGoldrick, who's a joy to watch. Once he went off, all our attacking impetus went with him.

I expected Wednesday to be much better than they were but again proves the point there is nothing to fear in this league. A point was fair and a decent point all things considered.

Ref was awful.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It wasn't boring at all - what a modern football fan you are!

The officiating was appalling - what did their player do to Sibley's ear, he nearly pulled it off. Every nudge or shove on them the ref gave, us he gave nothing.

Not sure but who was booked for kicking the ball against the hording in the 2nd half...Dobin?‍♀️but let some pretty physical tackles and pulls from Wednesday.

I saw the Sibley incident it was either a punch when Wed player had he his arm around him or an ear pull, On a cold day like yesterday...they come keen, And to be fair Sibley when he got up was more concerned about his hair, As for this lad he's fixated with making sure it's in the right style...bless him 

Not necessarily one for the purist but I still quite enjoyed it yesterday. Not every game needs 700 passes on the floor to be a good game of football.

Could have done without Wednesday’s incessant cheating though. All very subtle, nothing really major. Nicking a few yards from every throw in, falling over whenever blown on, lots of little fouls that weren’t seen, wasting time  etc etc. Ref bought all it. Warne described it after the game as ‘the dark arts’ and he was right.  Don’t suppose it had much influence on the result but it got quite frustrating as the game went on.  The officials were awful again; becoming the norm. 

Decent point though.  There is such a thing as a good 0-0. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Not necessarily one for the purist but I still quite enjoyed it yesterday. Not every game needs 700 passes on the floor to be a good game of football.

Could have done without Wednesday’s incessant cheating though. All very subtle, nothing really major. Nicking a few yards from every throw in, falling over whenever blown on, lots of little fouls that weren’t seen, wasting time  etc etc. Ref bought all it. Warne described it after the game as ‘the dark arts’ and he was right.  Don’t suppose it had much influence on the result but it got quite frustrating as the game went on.  The officials were awful again; becoming the norm. 

There was just nothing there for me. Basically no chances, not really any pressure, poor officiating, dead atmosphere. Just dull. 

29 minutes ago, Srg said:

This game, weirdly, seems to be really divisive over whether it was a good game or a really boring, turgid affair. 

Neither good nor bad for me, 2 teams that failed to create many chances, Both midfields working hard without dominating each other, Spoiled by the man in black who had a new whistle for Xmas ?

14 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Agreed. It lacked quality for sure but it was a feisty affair and that was heightened by three officials reluctant to make the big decisions.

Drives me nuts when ‘assistant referees’ just look away when a decision needs to be made, hoping the ref will save them, then waving their flag to agree.

I’m sure half the time they aren’t watching.

Wednesday were physically stronger than us but we weren’t intimidated as perhaps we might once have been.

Important thing was not to let them get a sneaky winner.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Drives me nuts when ‘assistant referees’ just look away when a decision needs to be made, hoping the ref will save them, then waving their flag to agree.

Loved the incident when the ball went out for a throw in, Lino looks at the ref, Ref looks at the lino, Ref gives throw to Wednesday...when it was ours ?

The ironic thing about Dobbins booking was that when he kicked the ball against the hording, the ball rebounded back to roughly were the free kick was to be taken. 

An act of petulance maybe but certainly not a time wasting act. The over zealous official could certainly have let that offence go. 

If you missed the game, this was probably  deemed a highlight of the game and as exciting as it got. 

Edited by Steve How Hard?

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The ironic thing about Dobbins booking was that when he kicked the ball against the hording, the ball rebounded back to roughly were the free kick was to be taken. 

An act of petulance maybe but certainly not a time wasting act. The over zealous official could certainly have let that offence go. 

If you missed the game, this was probably  deemed a highlight of the game and as exciting as it got. 

I assume it was dissent rather than time wasting.