Is Facebook (Meta) dying?

Carl Sagan

For those who don't know, Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp are all the same company, rebranded Meta by Mark Zuckerberg because he wants everyone to live their lives virtually rather than out enjoying the real world.

This time last year the Meta share price was $330. Today it's $99. Given I would suggest the only purpose of Facebook is to farm everyone for their data to make Zuckerberg and the other major shareholders richer, at the expense of society and especially our youth (there's a lot of evidence Instagram has been the main driver in the collapse in mental health of young girls), I'd say this should be a cause of great rejoicing. 

Do people on here still use Facebook or Insta? I've tried to move all my friends from WhatsApp to Signal as that's a more secure, decentralized messaging system, but sadly some have been resistant so I retain an account.

One of the roles of Facebook is an online graveyard as the number of dead uses grows, especially if the living abandon it: https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-04-29-digital-graveyards-are-dead-taking-over-facebook But just as the tech giants of today didn't exist 30 years ago, is Facebook itself dying, already going the way of Friends Reunited, Bebo, MySpace and all the others, to be replaced by TikTok and more? 

Interested to know if anyone on here still bothers with it.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For those who don't know, Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp are all the same company, rebranded Meta by Mark Zuckerberg because he wants everyone to live their lives virtually rather than out enjoying the real world.

This time last year the Meta share price was $330. Today it's $99. Given I would suggest the only purpose of Facebook is to farm everyone for their data to make Zuckerberg and the other major shareholders richer, at the expense of society and especially our youth (there's a lot of evidence Instagram has been the main driver in the collapse in mental health of young girls), I'd say this should be a cause of great rejoicing. 

Do people on here still use Facebook or Insta? I've tried to move all my friends from WhatsApp to Signal as that's a more secure, decentralized messaging system, but sadly some have been resistant so I retain an account.

One of the roles of Facebook is an online graveyard as the number of dead uses grows, especially if the living abandon it: https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-04-29-digital-graveyards-are-dead-taking-over-facebook But just as the tech giants of today didn't exist 30 years ago, is Facebook itself dying, already going the way of Friends Reunited, Bebo, MySpace and all the others, to be replaced by TikTok and more? 

We’ve started using Signal for our army comma now, cos it’s more secure than WhatsApp. 

for me though, social media started and ended with Facebook (unless you count this forum, I engage in here more than anywhere else). I jumped in board when it was only for universities back in 2007. 

Since then I never got into anything else. I don’t have time to keep up with twitter and insta and all the rest too, and could see myself easily falling into a black hole with it all if I let myself.  

Facebook is fine to occasionally update my wider network with some life news. But most of that goes in my family WhatsApp group now, I very rarely post on Facebook. 

when I scroll through now, it’s like scrolling through my emails. 90% crap, 5% a little bit interesting, 5% fairly important. I’m positive I could delete it and never look back. 

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I do find it interesting how the massive companies of today might have changed in 20 years.

20 years ago, who’d have thought Nokia would be all but non existent. And that Apple would’ve taken their place. Who’d have predicted that online bookshop Amazon would be so huge now.

which seemingly untouchable companies will disappear without a trace, and which obscure companies will rise up to replace them? And which companies have the lasting power to build legacies that will thrive fue generations. I find it fascinating. 

18 minutes ago, David said:

Use iMessage, if you get a message comes through that's Green, block them, you don't need people like that in your life.

This whole Apple walled garden I know nothing about. I can have a work iPhone if I want one (but haven't because why carry two devices?), but am toying with getting one so I can see what the fuss is about.

11 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We’ve started using Signal for our army comma now, cos it’s more secure than WhatsApp. 

for me though, social media started and ended with Facebook (unless you count this forum, I engage in here more than anywhere else). I jumped in board when it was only for universities back in 2007. 

Since then I never got into anything else. I don’t have time to keep up with twitter and insta and all the rest too, and could see myself easily falling into a black hole with it all if I let myself.  

Facebook is fine to occasionally update my wider network with some life news. But most of that goes in my family WhatsApp group now, I very rarely post on Facebook. 

when I scroll through now, it’s like scrolling through my emails. 90% crap, 5% a little bit interesting, 5% fairly important. I’m positive I could delete it and never look back. 

A bit worrying if social media has been used for military comms ?

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This whole Apple walled garden I know nothing about. I can have a work iPhone if I want one (but haven't because why carry two devices?), but am toying with getting one so I can see what the fuss is about.

Don’t bother, I’m now using my daughter’s old iPhone, after killing my 3 year old Samsung. I’m my opinion they’re both shyte.

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There's a lot of evidence Instagram has been the main driver in the collapse in mental health of young girls

Scientific or anecdotal?

Not doubting it btw, just curious.

There is definitely scientific evidence to show how Tik Tok is the most addictive platform there has ever been.

And in answer to your question, no, it's not dying. 

It may have a bad cold, and I'm sure it's will continue to lose market share as other platforms grow and new ones emerge, but Facebook is the biggest advertising platform on the planet not called Google.

Never had a social media profile, Those I know I speak too face to face, All my life is locked into my memory bank I don't need to show all who I am, Buses, Football, When walking in town everywhere I look there's shed loads of people who have their faces buried into their phones, Mobile phones are a great bit of kit...also a pain in the ass

Facebooks value has been depressed by apples iOS privacy change which is forecast to hit revenue by $10bn this year and the incredible amounts being spent on the metaverse which investors are unconvinced by. Never been a Facebook member so unable to comment on the usefulness of it but they still have 2.9bn users worldwide 

We shouldn't worry too much about WhatsApp, we have enough MPs sharing government secrets on there for it to remain popular.

Signal is useful because it can manage both texts and your WhatsApp IM equivalents. Telegram also. Facebook enjoyed a bit of a resurgence with it's market place because, sadly, once you've realised that half your contacts you never intend to see again, quarter you see already and a quarter you don't want knowing your business then it no longer serves a purpose. Plus, for most it's just modern day curtain twitching - you just want to know what everyone else is up to but if nobody actually says what they are doing it's all a bit of a waste of time (tbf - I probably prefer that to all those who used to photo their morning coffee every day or post an image of a cloud they saw on the way to work that looks like Ed Sheeran).

TBF - it's what l like about this place, I'm never going to meet one single person on this forum, and I think we're all happy about that particular point.

Edited by BaaLocks

I'm just not into social media anymore. I'll upload holiday photos for my family members but that's about it. I used to love it, but now the purity of what I enjoyed about it has far gone. It's heavily commercial, too many advertisements. Instagram is fine. I can't stand Tik Tok. I see people glued to it and I want to launch their phones into the Derwent. 

I've tried to use my phone less and it's helped me relax at home with my family. I knew i had some phone addiction when first started to just leave it alone in the evening. I'd be fidgeting constantly trying to not go looking for my mobile. Horrible feeling. I'm glad I've started to cut down on social media / phone use.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

We shouldn't worry too much about WhatsApp, we have enough MPs sharing government secrets on there for it to remain popular.

Signal is useful because it can manage both texts and your WhatsApp IM equivalents. Telegram also. Facebook enjoyed a bit of a resurgence with it's market place because, sadly, once you've realised that half your contacts you never intend to see again, quarter you see already and a quarter you don't want knowing your business then it no longer serves a purpose. Plus, for most it's just modern day curtain twitching - you just want to know what everyone else is up to but if nobody actually says what they are doing it's all a bit of a waste of time (tbf - I probably prefer that to all those who used to photo their morning coffee every day or post an image of a cloud they saw on the way to work that looks like Ed Sheeran).

TBF - it's what l like about this place, I'm never going to meet one single person on this forum, and I think we're all happy about that particular point.

I hace ‘friends’ on Facebook that I have to actively restrain myself from liking or commenting on their posts, lest they might realise I’m still alive. 

not that I’m actively trying to avoid them, but it’s just really random when the first communication you have with someone after 7 years is to thumbs up a cat meme. 

I use Facebook for family and friends' casual updates, twitter for my Derby County stuff and Instagram because I've one family member who lives abroad and ONLY uses that. 

Not interested in tiktok, never heard of Signal (apart from that stripey toothpaste).

I use Whats App for direct messages to small groups but I find it infuriating, especially when you get added to a list where people are constantly chatting off-topic.

I think Facebook is mostly older people now - it's been great for doing our old school reunion updates and anecdotes. Oh, and local history type stuff. I've discovered photos of my parents that I never knew existed. Discoveries like this are very precious as they died nearly fifty years ago.