Is Facebook (Meta) dying?

Carl Sagan

I have a massive network of friends in a group on Facebook, some of whom would be quite lonely without the chats. 
id love to find a workable alternative to Facebook groups but nothing seems to work. You can’t have a WhatsApp group with 3 figures of membership, you’d go crazy 

+1 for Signal

Still have Facebook mostly because of a running group I'm in and my parents are on it. Ditto only wattapp a couple of family group chats and I CBA to try to change them to something different.

Probably going to jack in twitter as well, there's not much satisfaction in engagement on it and it's creeping past it's zenith of "everyone being on it" - the Tesla moron buying it will probably only hasten the trend away.

Ultimately, I enjoy the forum, FB is mostly legacy, increasing less fussed about twitter, I keep thinking I should read more books anyway.

Twitter is the best by far, yes there is a lot of crap on there but you choose what you want to see with which accounts you follow.

Make sure you're on the latest tweets, don't open tweets to read replies and you're golden.

For breaking news on anything from what's new on Netflix to events in Ukraine or your favourite celebrity dying, it's there instantly.

Just don't fall into the trap of feeling obliged to automatically follow everyone back that follows you, some will follow and unfollow if you don't but who cares. The obsession of follower count is weird.

Likewise on Facebook, I see some people with 500+ friends, how and why? Think I'm around 60 odd with family and friends plus a couple of you on here that's found me. 

All these platforms are what you make of them, the tools are there to follow what interests you or fill your eyes with crap.

Twitter may also not be long for this world if this guy is right

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1587353418406010881.html

To be fair, his comments about "right wing nut jobs" really applies to all political extremists who spend all day every day ranting at each other on twitter - not just those on the right. But his comments about the "normal" community of users and what is good about Twitter ring true. 

On 31/10/2022 at 14:57, SSD said:

I'll upload holiday photos for my family members but that's about it...

I just go round to theirs, armed with projector and roll-out screen.  Usually on the following Saturday after getting home, as it can take best part of a week for Boots to develop the slides.
I don't even charge them for the privilege, although I do insist they pay for my takeaway.

They are also very quick to call and pay for my cab home too.  ??