Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

Midfield still an issue. This isn’t a Warne issue, it’s been a problem all season. Bird dangling legs in and too tentative for far too much of games. Hourihane largely anonymous most weeks.

Then when you play 3 at the back and 2 of them are so unbelievably slow, you’re asking them to cover out to the touchline which they can’t do.

Most of our downfall, beyond the referee, was the inability to win headers today. Was 30mins in before Cashin headed the ball in the right direction. Caused so much pressure it was silly. They weren’t a big side, we just lacked any kinder of muscle about us. 

All that said, we win that game with a referee that wasn’t that guy. 

That wasn’t very good was it. 
I don’t think many are walking off in credit there. I have seen Osula twice now and still don’t think I have seen him touch the ball. The lack of organisation when we went down to ten men was very worrying. I am going to refrain from commenting on the referee at this point. 

1 hour ago, alram said:

Absolute rubbish

the dynamic of the season changed when clowes sacked LR, i think most were happy with the slower build but the pressure is on now. 

lets see how we look in a month but the season will become very long with a bad upcoming month.

I wasn't gonna bother, but that cheered me up no end.

We may have got it wrong tactically but it was NOTHING at all to do with needing the 'slow build up' and more to do with two moments of madness. Three if you count the ref's decision for the 1st penalty.

Just now, Srg said:

Midfield still an issue. This isn’t a Warne issue, it’s been a problem all season. Bird dangling legs in and too tentative for far too much of games. Hourihane largely anonymous most weeks.

Then when you play 3 at the back and 2 of them are so unbelievably slow, you’re asking them to cover out to the touchline which they can’t do.

Most of our downfall, beyond the referee, was the inability to win headers today. Was 30mins in before Cashin headed the ball in the right direction. Caused so much pressure it was silly. They weren’t a big side, we just lacked any kinder of muscle about us. 

This all day long.

I hope we look for the missing RB in January and let the rest of the squad play were they fit.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

For goodness sake, everyone is disappointed that we lost but talk of we should have won/deserved to win is ridiculous. 

Over the 90 minutes Port Vale were the better side.

But up until the Collins sending off, Derby had the better chances and were drawing at that point as a result of individual errors (the penalties and poor finishing) rather than anything tactical.

I’d have backed Derby to win at 1-1, 11 vs 11, but Collins’ stupidity cost us.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Over the 90 minutes Port Vale were the better side.

But up until the Collins sending off, Derby had the better chances and were drawing at that point as a result of individual errors (the penalties and poor finishing) rather than anything tactical.

I’d have backed Derby to win at 1-1, 11 vs 11, but Collins’ stupidity cost us.

Agreed. I still think our lack of a proper full pre season is effecting us a bit. We seem to go down hill in a lot of games from 60 mins.

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

That wasn’t very good was it. 
I don’t think many are walking off in credit there. I have seen Osula twice now and still don’t think I have seen him touch the ball. The lack of organisation when we went down to ten men was very worrying. I am going to refrain from commenting on the referee at this point. 

I don't think today was his opportunity to make his mark. Instead of going on today alongside a physical number 9 or a livewire runner, he goes on to shoulder the whole attack for a team playing one man down. Bit of an ask for a kid who's hardly played any senior games.
He looked to have a fair bit of potential at Cambridge - I think he'll give us something in due course (this season!)

Having watched it back, I think it was a red. Collins punched the floor and caught their player in the nose with his elbow.

Impossible to know if there was intent, but it was properly stupid to throw a punch when lying on top of a opponent. He was bound to make contact, and contact was bound to be a red. 

As soon as we went down to 10 men against their 12 we were in trouble. 

Interesting for their first penalty, the West Stand linesman flagged for a corner, which the ref overruled. After that, the linesman didn't flag for anything until the ref had made a decision. I think the linesman thought that the ref was incompetent and wanted to keep out of it.

Edited by CornwallRam

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Haha, is it a bad sign that I don't know which of the 3 you're intending as the quick one?! ?

28 minutes ago, Diego said:

1st pen, never a pen. Dive.

Red card. Use common sense. Rapid to brandish the red card. He’s hit the ground in frustration, just needs to calm the situation. If he’s meant to hit him (as I said in another thread) then the police should be in involved for assault. He obviously hasn’t meant to. Likely pen on Collins anyway.

A PV defender then shoved Collins to the floor. You can’t do that. Where’s the consistency?

Stonewall penalty on Sibley at the end. He’s set the tone all game and DOESN’T give that!!!???? Wow.

Stearman got snapped in half and he gave a free kick to PV. Don’t even know what to say to that. Shocking.

He was simply out his depth and swamped in a big crowd. Completely feckless.

Other than that, he was great.

Stearman one was especially weird as it’s a second yellow if it’s a foul by Stearman

Cant even get it right when he gets it wrong. Dire

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Having watched it back, I think it was a red. Collins punched the floor and caught their playerbin the nose with his elbow.

Impossible to know if there was intent, but it properly stupid to throw a punch when lying on top of a opponent. He was bound to make contact, and contact was bound to be a red. 

As soon as we went down to 10 men against their 12 we were in trouble. 

Interesting for their first penalty, the West Stand linesman flagged for a corner, which the ref overruled. After that, the linesman didn't flag for anything until the ref had made a decision. I think the linesman thought that the ref was incompetent and wanted to keep out of it.

With respect the assistant did flag for a penalty. The movement is to run to the corner flag, stand on it with the flag pointing directly down, which he was doing when I looked, admittedly after a few seconds of looking at the ref, who didn’t give anything. There seemed to be a lot of indecision between the two. Reminded me of that situation against Leeds in the play offs a few years ago when we got a penalty and the assistant overruled the ref.