Classy Danes

beardyjim

World Cup 2022: Denmark to wear 'toned down' jerseys in protest at hosts Qatar - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63066393

Do we like this? I for one thinks it's fantastic but I'm a woke lefty guardian reading millenial liberal so would be intrigued to get all perspectives. 

Btw. Would love Hummel to be our kit manufacturer in the future. Those mid 90s international kits were brilliant. 

Edited by beardyjim
Forgot to add the finer details

No. I think it's utterly vacuous. I appreciate the anger about the working conditions in Qatar, but if you genuinely feel that strongly and want to make a statement, don't go. Don't broadcast it. Don't watch it. I won't be watching a second, but I have 0 respect for footballers and football associations thinking they're making any kind of relevant statement with their toned down shirts and rainbow armbands.

12 minutes ago, beardyjim said:

World Cup 2022: Denmark to wear 'toned down' jerseys in protest at hosts Qatar - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63066393

Do we like this? I for one thinks it's fantastic but I'm a woke lefty guardian reading millenial liberal so would be intrigued to get all perspectives. 

Btw. Would love Hummel to be our kit manufacturer in the future. Those mid 90s international kits were brilliant. 

For me, the next World Cup will be kept 2026.

Their move is alrightish, but not enough for my liking.

Whats the point? They are still going to the tournament and they won't give a toss about human rights if their team does well in it.

Qatar's human rights issues didn't appear just because they won the world cup. If you didn't care before then wearing a plain shirt with a few anti qatar slogans on it is not going to make you care any more now.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

No. I think it's utterly vacuous. I appreciate the anger about the working conditions in Qatar, but if you genuinely feel that strongly and want to make a statement, don't go. Don't broadcast it. Don't watch it. I won't be watching a second, but I have 0 respect for footballers and football associations thinking they're making any kind of relevant statement with their toned down shirts and rainbow armbands.

It's a legitimate point and I'm sure many agree with you, as I actually do, but what are the individual FAs meant to do as an alternative? If they refuse to play they'll be banned from future tournaments and no doubt be sanctioned. 

I am in no way saying this is the answer, but surely it's a better step than nothing? 

3 hours ago, beardyjim said:

I think it's a load of old b*******.  Feel that strongly, don't play.

1 hour ago, beardyjim said:

It's a legitimate point and I'm sure many agree with you, as I actually do, but what are the individual FAs meant to do as an alternative? If they refuse to play they'll be banned from future tournaments and no doubt be sanctioned. 

I am in no way saying this is the answer, but surely it's a better step than nothing? 

That's a fair point, but would FIFA really sanction an FA for not attending? I'm not saying they wouldn't, but it sets quite an astonishing president that they believe they can literally force nations to attend tournaments. I would love to see FIFA's hand forced here, just to see what they'd actually do.

Maybe Hummel and the various nations who are protesting do have genuine intentions. I fully admit that I'm approaching this from the most cynical angle possible. To me it seems that these organisations want to have their cake and eat it. To attend the tournament and get all the glory, marketing opportunities, and money that come with such a major event, and also get a positive PR boost from virtue signalling when they don't actually care about the issues they're protesting.

Edited by Anon

42 minutes ago, Rev said:

At the end of the day, it's the job of governments and the politicians that run them to pull up Qatar, not football teams.

If our elected leaders can't/won't take the moral high ground, why should we expect a group of young sportsmen to do so?

At the least the World Cup can and is shining a light on their horrible record. If they hadn’t had the World Cup, not half as many people would know or care. It would be great if the World Cup back fired on them, and all the teams protesting in this way made it so obvious there’s a problem there that even the biggest ostrich with their hand in the sand can’t ignore it, and the international community end up doing something about Qatar. 

I like the kit and the gesture is fine but it's only slightly more than doing absolutely nothing. Personally am not sure how FA's and players including our own can actually go to this world cup given all the gestures towards social justice they've made. It just shows it up for the performative farce it is. As soon as it would impact them in the slightest way the shoulder shrugging comes out and no stance is actually taken.

14 hours ago, beardyjim said:

They could boycott the World cup if they really meant it. 

15 hours ago, Anon said:

Agree with this. Tick box exercise. 

"We stand with..." (We stand behind) empty words.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11284625/Gary-Neville-work-beIN-SPORTS-World-Cup-insists-does-NOT-make-hypocrite.html

One of my favourite people will be going to the world cup.

I highlight this because it's the hypocrisy I really take issue with. It's ok to watch and enjoy this world cup. It's ok to profit from it. No one should spend their entire lives worrying about being 100% ethical with every single thing they buy or consume, it's impossible and exhausting. I hope this world cup is great. What I won't tolerate is a fatuous p**** like Neville still trying to take the moral high ground whilst also filling his pockets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2022 at 19:05, Anon said:

Man illustrates disdain for virtue signallers by signalling his own virtue.

How cute!