Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

On 03/10/2022 at 12:59, Curtains said:

Well people are not sure about Chester but I think he’s fine 

The most imperative thing was IMO to get Knight in midfield.  
Basic error by Liam in my eyes.  
I still don’t understand why peopl think interim was not a holding manager role. 
Clowes obviously wanted his own man 

As for Rosenior he’s a really likeable guy. 
Not my decision to change Manager by the way. 

I don't think David Clowes wanted his own man at the outset. I think it was a fair and obvious decision to offer Liam Rosenior the interim manager position, which would give him the opportunity to demonstrate that he was the candidate to take the club forward now. We needed someone to quickly undertake immediate recruitment. Liam knew the players who were left in our depleted squad; they needed the familiarity of a coach who knew them. Liam's recruitment was very good in the circumstances and the initial performances were okay and offered a platform to build upon this season. There were concerns about playing out from the back and that we were not getting the ball forward quickly enough. But the signals coming from David Clowes and Liam were that they were in positive discussions about Liam being appointed permanently. Then we came unstuck against Plymouth and Lincoln. After the Plymouth game I expected a change in the system because Plymouth had demonstrated to the whole Division how to counter our midfield, which put pressure on our defence and reduced our opportunities of going forward. We had been found out and something drastic was needed to change it.

But at Lincoln, nothing had changed and we were second best to a team who I expect to finish in the bottom half of the table this season. Those sort of games must be won by a team aspiring towards promotion but by then we had taken just two points from 12 away to four teams who seem to be candidates for bottom half finishes. After the game Liam still insisted that his possession system was what was needed. I think that was the moment that David Clowes decided that he was going to go for Paul Warne. At Lincoln, a lot of fans who had been happy for Liam to continue changed their minds.

I know we were due to score away and that might have happened if Rosenior had been in charge at Cambridge but from what I saw, Warne had changed the whole system in just four days and away from home and it was a change for the better. We still dominated possession by 57:43 but the fact is that much more of our possession was in the opposition half and not through passing the ball across the back in our own half where we were hurting nobody. The shots on goal and on target ratios may have been similar to in some other away games where we had not scored but overall we looked far more threatening in attack than in any other away game, except the first half at Charlton in my opinion. Throughout the game on Saturday, we looked like the only team who were going to win it.

Liam Rosenior is a good guy and he was good for Derby County for the past three years and I hope Derby County was good for him. I'm sure his time will come but I think the decision David Clowes took was in the best interest of Derby County for now. Sometimes in leadership, the best decisions are the most unpopular ones in my opinion. Leaders who always like making the popular decisions are often weak leaders. I think David Clowes decision was a sign of strength, which will be recognised by many before the end of this season.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

6 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't think David Clowes wanted his own man at the outset. I think it was a fair and obvious decision to offer Liam Rosenior the interim manager position, which would give him the opportunity to demonstrate that he was the candidate to take the club forward now. We needed someone to quickly undertake immediate recruitment. Liam knew the players who were left in our depleted squad; they needed the familiarity of a coach who knew them. Liam's recruitment was very good in the circumstances and the initial performances were okay and offered a platform to build upon this season. There were concerns about playing out from the back and that we were not getting the ball forward quickly enough. But the signals coming from David Clowes and Liam were that they were in positive discussions about Liam being appointed permanently. Then we came unstuck against Plymouth and Lincoln. After the Plymouth game I expected a change in the system because Plymouth had demonstrated to the whole Division how to counter our midfield, which put pressure on our defence and reduced our opportunities of going forward. We had been found out and something drastic was needed to change it.

But at Lincoln, nothing had changed and we were second best to a team who I expect to finish in the bottom half of the table this season. Those sort of games must be won by a team aspiring towards promotion but by then we had taken just two points from 12 away to four teams who seem to be candidates for bottom half finishes. After the game Liam still insisted that his possession system was what was needed. I think that was the moment that David Clowes decided that he was going to go for Paul Warne. At Lincoln, a lot of fans who had been happy for Liam to continue changed their minds.

I know we were due to score away and that might have happened if Rosenior had been in charge at Cambridge but from what I saw, Warne had changed the whole system in just four days and away from home and it was a change for the better. We still dominated possession by 57:43 but the fact is that much more of our possession was in the opposition half and not through passing the ball across the back in our own half where we were hurting nobody. The shots on goal and on target ratios may have been similar to in some other away games where we had not scored but overall we looked far more threatening in attack than in any other away game, except the first half at Charlton in my opinion. Throughout the game on Saturday, we looked like the only team who were going to win it.

Liam Rosenior is a good guy and he was good for Derby County for the past three years and I hope Derby County was good for him. I'm sure his time will come but I think the decision David Clowes took was in the best interest of Derby County for now. Sometimes in leadership, the best decisions are the most unpopular ones in my opinion. Leaders who always like making the popular decisions are often weak leaders. I think David Clowes decision was a sign of strength, which will be recognised by many before the end of this season.

Liams recruitment was excellent.  
That’s an outstanding post 

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It's a brilliant post - because even as someone who felt Liam was unfairly done by, and even on Saturday as I watched us and at times I said to myself this is painful football to watch - this post was a brilliant perspective piece about the current situation and analyses it very well. Well done sir.

Only bit I'd add to this is I think some of the performances were being masked by results, which obviously culminated and Lincoln and Plymouth as you mentioned. Barnsley, as one example out of a few, could have easily done to us what Plymouth did, the only difference being they only managed 1 goal despite complete domination and a terrible display by us.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It's a brilliant post - because even as someone who felt Liam was unfairly done by, and even on Saturday as I watched us and at times I said to myself this is painful football to watch - this post was a brilliant perspective piece about the current situation and analyses it very well. Well done sir.

The biggest question of all is with rosenior in charge would we have gone to Cambridge and won and my answer is I don’t think we would have won that game with him in charge in an honest opinion. Would we have seen bird sprint the length of the pitch for the second goal absolutely no way. We found a different way to win a game away from home and alls you have to do is look at the away form from the last 3 seasons. We now have a manager with experience in this league who can find different ways to win a game of football and can has more than a plan A 

Edited by Barney1991

People who I've spoken too that went to Lincoln said we were poor but could still have won(I wasn't there)something needed to change as LRs way of playing was the only way for him, That was his downfall in my eyes.

PW has changed our formation, Put his own stamp on how he goes about team selection and team building, To get out of League1 you need to compete physically and mentally, No good having the best players on paper but when you go out on the grass it's not working, The ball is now firmly in PWs court and the coaches.

End on November and we'll see what PW is all about. 

7 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

People who I've spoken too that went to Lincoln said we were poor but could still have won(I wasn't there)something needed to change as LRs way of playing was the only way for him, That was his downfall in my eyes.

PW has changed our formation, Put his own stamp on how he goes about team selection and team building, To get out of League1 you need to compete physically and mentally, No good having the best players on paper but when you go out on the grass it's not working, The ball is now firmly in PWs court and the coaches.

End on November and we'll see what PW is all about. 

I went to Lincoln Alf. I understand those who say we could have won it because of the disputed penalty and two disallowed goals but in my opinion we did not deserve to win that night - Lincoln missed the best chance of the game just before going two up. Lincoln were better than us for most of the game. It was the most disappointing game in watching Derby that I have witnessed for a long time. You and I both believe that Clowes had informed Liam it was over before the Wycombe game. I think it had by then become necessary and might just have been delayed if we had scraped a lucky win or draw at Sincil Bank. By then, Warne and his team might have joined Huddersfield or Cardiff.

• 2 weeks later...

The red cross here is where the Championship average sits, which somewhat suggests better sides are 'slower and more inticate', so Derby sitting in the bottom right (under Rosenior) is exactly where we should expect to be. Given Ipswich, considered the best side in the division this season, are also in this general area i think it backs up my interpretation.

My hope is that Warne's intense and more direct playing style results in us drifting closer to Ipswich than Shrewsbury.

SmartSelect_20221015_134137_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fb5e925a5835f3522d29a5d9efbba399.jpg

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Warne said previously we need to be targetting 82 points for the playoffs and we are slightly off the rate required. After 12 games we would need 21pts form the required rate so to sit on 20 is pretty decent & shows we're not far off where we need to be.

We're currently 5th in ppg so well  on course for a play off place, despite Warney's made up target.

On 15/10/2022 at 12:32, littleover ram said:

I don’t think his job should just be to turn us into Rotherham 2.0 though. Fine make us more direct than we have been but also keep some of the passing. Make the most out of the players we’ve got 

Absolutely, a very good manager can work with what he has and be successful. 

9 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Does anyone know if Jason Pearce has gone, or just stepped back to academy? 

Not listed on the site, I might have just missed him leaving 

Pearcey was released when Paul Warne brought Andy Warrington with him as the goalkeeping coach.