Comparison with 1985/86 Div 3 promotion season - game by game

SamUltraRam

I thought i'd show a comparison to our promotion season from this division in 1985/86 for a bit of fun. I'll try to do it game by game if there's any interest to read it.

Game number 9 was a 2 - 0 away win at Cardiff City & took us to 13 points - so we're ahead of that. Attendance was just 3,435 at Ninian Park

We'd just beaten Div 1 Leicester City 2 - 0 in the 1st leg of the Milk Cup

It appears that you could only name 1 substitute then as well which surprised me

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Mark Wallington

Right back Charlie Palmer

Central defender Rob Hindmarch

Central Defender Ross Maclaren

Left back Steve Buckley

Midfielder Steve McClaren

Winger/Midfielder Gary Micklewhite

Midfielder Geraint Williams

Forward Trevor Christie

Forward Bobby Davison

Winger/Midfielder Jeff Chandler

Substitutions: Paul Blades for Steve McClaren

1663630415423_copy_2046x2784.jpg

1663630341302_copy_2007x1499.jpg

1663630390910_copy_1837x1798.jpg

Edited by SamUltraRam

53 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I thought i'd show a comparison to our promotion season from this division in 1985/86 for a bit of fun. I'll try to do it game by game if there's any interest to read it.

Game number 9 was a 2 - 0 away win at Cardiff City & took us to 13 points - so we're ahead of that. Attendance was just 3,435 at Ninian Park

It appears that you could only name 1 substitute then as well which surprised me

Starting lineup:

Left back Steve Buckley

Forward Trevor Christie

Forward Bobby Davison

Was at that game , the locals were not very friendly 

46 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Be good to have a comparison with 84-85 as well, our first season back in Division 3. Hopefully this season follows the pattern of 85-86 and not the previous season!

Thought about it but it was quite a boring season really, we finished 7th but only after a strong finish to the season - & we got knocked out in Round 1 of the FA Cup to Hartlepool

1985/86 was much better including a great FA Cup run & us having to play catch up towards the end of the season due to both the FA Cup run and a bad winter

Edited by SamUltraRam

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Be good to have a comparison with 84-85 as well, our first season back in Division 3. Hopefully this season follows the pattern of 85-86 and not the previous season!

3 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Thought about it but it was quite a boring season really, we finished 7th but only after a strong finish to the season - & we got knocked out in Round 1 of the FA Cup to Hartlepool

1985/86 was much better including a great FA Cup run & us having to play catch up towards the end of the season due to both the FA Cup run and a bad winter

Was just about to say the same as @Wistaston Ram

Think this season is a closer comparison to the 84/5 season, handful of players in June and new manager needing to do a complete rebuild

We have to remember that we got automatic promotion that season by finishing in 3rd position, which is now only good enough for the play offs. Reading got off to an amazing start beating the record for 13 consecutive wins at the start of the season and were good as promoted by Christmas.

9 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Starting lineup:

Left back Steve Buckley

Forward Trevor Christie

Forward Bobby Davison

‘’Weren’t even born, weren’t even born, when we were promoted, you weren’t even born’

Figured that out by the number of substitutes shock?

Keep up the good work as I am old and my memory isn’t as good as was even though I had a season ticket in the Ossie End upper tier?????

1 hour ago, scout's dad said:

‘’Weren’t even born, weren’t even born, when we were promoted, you weren’t even born’

Figured that out by the number of substitutes shock?

Keep up the good work as I am old and my memory isn’t as good as was even though I had a season ticket in the Ossie End upper tier?????

I’m 57 and to me that is old?

7 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Was just about to say the same as @Wistaston Ram

Think this season is a closer comparison to the 84/5 season, handful of players in June and new manager needing to do a complete rebuild

A few significant changes that have happened to English football since 1985/86

1) The play-offs were first introduced to the English Football League in 1987 and have been staged at the conclusion of every season since.

2) The number of substitutes usable in a competitive match has increased from zero, meaning that teams were reduced if players' injuries could not allow them to play on, to one in 1958; to two out of a possible five in 1988. With the later increases in substitutions allowed, the number of potential substitute players increased to seven. The number of substitutes increased to two plus one (injured goalkeeper) in 1994, to three in 1995; and most recently temporarily increased to five substitutes in 2020 due to Covid and permanently to five in 2022/23.

3) Relegation from Div 4 of the Football League through re-election - No club was voted out in the eight seasons until 1986, after which the system was abandoned in favour of direct promotion between the Football League and the Football Conference

4) In 1992/93 the Premier League was introduced and since then, all common sense in the domestic English football world is disappearing bit by bit

Edited by SamUltraRam

37 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

A few significant changes that have happened to English football since 1985/86

1) The play-offs were first introduced to the English Football League in 1987 and have been staged at the conclusion of every season since.

2) The number of substitutes usable in a competitive match has increased from zero, meaning that teams were reduced if players' injuries could not allow them to play on, to one in 1958; to two out of a possible five in 1988. With the later increases in substitutions allowed, the number of potential substitute players increased to seven. The number of substitutes increased to two plus one (injured goalkeeper) in 1994, to three in 1995; and most recently temporarily increased to five substitutes in 2020 due to Covid and permanently to five in 2022/23.

3) Relegation from Div 4 of the Football League through re-election - No club was voted out in the eight seasons until 1986, after which the system was abandoned in favour of direct promotion between the Football League and the Football Conference

4) In 1992/93 the Premier League was introduced and since then, all common sense in the domestic English football world is disappearing bit by bit

You forgot to mention 

1991 introduction of the 4th match official

2019 VAR...... 

21 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Starting lineup:

Left back Steve Buckley

Forward Trevor Christie

Forward Bobby Davison

Great idea Sam, look forward to the updates ?

As a couple of others have mentioned though, our current season is more reflective of 84/85 so I'll keep benchmarking us against that. Interesting that we're also ahead of our promotion season in 85/86 in terms of points...should give some posters some proper context to measure their high standards against.